Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2014, 11:36   #1

Boat: Catalina 320
Question Meaning of MkII

Been looking at several catalina models in the 34' - 38' range. Some models have mkII after the model number, cant seem to find the meaning/difference.
daydreamer510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:42   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Question Meaning of MkII

Means they're not MK1's... upgraded/modified on original hull.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:45   #3

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: Question Meaning of MkII

This is what Catalina had to say about the 34/34MkII oh so long ago:

Quote:
The MkII has a redesigned hull which is noticeably beamier in the cockpit and transom areas but the SAME as the earlier version below the waterline to allow one design racing
For the 36 pretty much the same thing, same hull and rig but different layout (larger cockpit, different interior layout).

Some of the others have more significant changes, but in the size range you asked about that's about it.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:56   #4

Thanks for the great info. They are definitely more expensive. Came across a Catalina 350. some with and some without MKII. Love the interior layout, doubt it would sail that well/fast with the wide beam. Since we spend more time at anchor or in the marina, consider it an acceptable trade off. Any info on this model?
Old 02-10-2014, 12:01   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by daydreamer510 View Post
Thanks for the great info. They are definitely more expensive. Came across a Catalina 350. some with and some without MKII. Love the interior layout, doubt it would sail that well/fast with the wide beam. Since we spend more time at anchor or in the marina, consider it an acceptable trade off. Any info on this model?
C350: It's a very different boat, consider carefully before you buy, very high freeboard, questionable interior layout except for the V berth. It is a true marina queen. If you're tall and don't like to sail, it should work for you.

Here's the Mark II info on a C34:

Evolution of the Catalina 34 - C34

The C36 was similar although they never made a Mark 1 1/4.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:05   #6

Boat: Catalina 34

MkI's are essential the first version/original version of a model, while MkII (and subsequent) demarcations are new version of the same model. Kind of like 1.0 vs. 2.0, 3G (3rd generation) cellular service vs. 4G (4th generation), and so on.

As for the C34, early MkI's had a flat transom, while some newer MkI's (~1989) came with a scoop. The "Mk1.5" in the early 1990's came with a walk-through scoop, and the 1994+ MkII came with a wider transom and bigger scoop.

In generally, MkII's are newer for all models and therefore usually more expensive.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:13   #7

Some models have a higher mast as a later model also. (not necessarily the 34-38 though) usually something like that or hull changes.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:15   #8

[QUOTE=Stu Jackson;1643765]C350: It's a very different boat, consider carefully before you buy, very high freeboard, questionable interior layout except for the V berth. It is a true marina queen. If you're tall and don't like to sail, it should work for you.

I thought the interior on the C350 looked good. Can you be more specific?
Old 02-10-2014, 16:15   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by daydreamer510 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
C350: It's a very different boat, consider carefully before you buy, very high freeboard, questionable interior layout except for the V berth. It is a true marina queen. If you're tall and don't like to sail, it should work for you.
I thought the interior on the C350 looked good. Can you be more specific?
Sure, but these are my opinions, you asked.

The forward starboard "settee" seat is right in front of the "wall" to the head. If someone's there it blocks going forward, if you're there it's not very wide and you look at a wall.

IIRC, the dipstick access was a square piece of cutout over the engine instead of a real access door.

IIRC, there were two saloon tables offered. The big one was heavy and had a very poorly thought out holding mechanism, and was too big for the space, so you couldn't leave it down. The smaller table was too small to use as a dining table. The seating for both tables was poor.

The handholds down below were non-existent, although early reports of early hulls back to the factory might have changed that.

The big mattresses aft made access to the filters, etc., pretty difficult.

While these may seem nitpicking to some, compared to earlier and later Catalinas, this 350 design had more issues.

I personally thought it big boxy and ugly compared to older and newer Catalinas, too.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 16:55   #10

Boat: Catalina MKII 34'

I have owned a 1988 and now own a 1996. For coastal cruising and Bahamas it has treated me really well. I have handled every part and know the boat inside out. It handles equally well on the ICW, the Bahamas Bank or along the Eastern seaboard. It has the "sugar scoop" transom which we consider a necessity. The perfect boat for me!
svchances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 13:26   #11

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Means they're not MK1's... upgraded/modified on original hull.
That's when the builders where honest about their products and wanted to give information to buyers. Today most shipyards just call MKII a different name like if it was a completely new boat. For instance the Salona 38 is a Salona 37 MKII, the Elan 320 is a MKII Elan 310, the (new) Bavaria 37 and 41 are a Bavaria 36MKII and a Bavaria 40 MKII.

The funny thing is that the hull is the same but the "new" boat is always bigger
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote