Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2022, 13:37   #46

Re: Question for cruisers: Do you leave your boat at anchor unattended?

If you plan on doing some serious cruising in far off places you won’t have many options but to leave your boat at anchor. Getting a top quality and oversized anchor and lots of high quality chain should be top on your list. Over time you will perfect your anchoring technique and get more comfortable overnight such that you will feel like taking the step. I have rarely ever seen boats equipped with modern anchors such as Spade, Ultra or Rocna dragging but I have seen anchors being fouled by other unscrupulous boaters. As a result I prefer to leave my boat a bit more exposed to the elements but clearly away from other boats than anchor right were other yachts have already anchored. I always leave my key in the ignition so that if something happens to my boat in my absence someone can get on board and take action. I know that theoretically this makes my yacht easier to steal but a key won’t make a difference to a thief who really wants to steal your boat. I have myself intervened on a number of occasions when I saw unattended yachts in trouble. The only time we could not help is when the boat was locked and the engine disabled. Lastly I always leave my windlass on for the same reason. Lastly I use Marine traffic and leave my AIS on so that I can keep an eye on my boat at a distance and check that it is staying where it should.
bclaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 13:41   #47

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclaude View Post
If you plan on doing some serious cruising in far off places you won’t have many options but to leave your boat at anchor. Getting a top quality and oversized anchor and lots of high quality chain should be top on your list. Over time you will perfect your anchoring technique and get more comfortable overnight such that you will feel like taking the step. I have rarely ever seen boats equipped with modern anchors such as Spade, Ultra or Rocna dragging but I have seen anchors being fouled by other unscrupulous boaters. As a result I prefer to leave my boat a bit more exposed to the elements but clearly away from other boats than anchor right were other yachts have already anchored. I always leave my key in the ignition so that if something happens to my boat in my absence someone can get on board and take action. I know that theoretically this makes my yacht easier to steal but a key won’t make a difference to a thief who really wants to steal your boat. I have myself intervened on a number of occasions when I saw unattended yachts in trouble. The only time we could not help is when the boat was locked and the engine disabled. Lastly I always leave my windlass on for the same reason. Lastly I use Marine traffic and leave my AIS on so that I can keep an eye on my boat at a distance and check that it is staying where it should.
Good advice on leaving your boat startable and windlass usable. Thx!
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 13:57   #48

Boat: C&C 33 MK1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
If you do even for short periods, leave lights on and music playing.
I've done this when docking at a place I thought was questionable... leave the music playing and an open beer on the table.
PaulAboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 20:45   #49

Boat: 1976 Vaughn Mason 48ft Cutter/ Ketch

As a new sailor, I would recommend you err on the side of caution. Whenever weather picks up in an anchorage one usually sees a couple of boats dragging, which endangers everyone around you. Anchoring for day trips, usually ok. Overnight you are probably safer to use a mooring - the price is usually worth the peace of mind. Also, most decent anchorages in popular locations are full of mooring balls, which pushes those that want to anchor to the fringes where safety, etc might become an issue.
cohort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 21:04   #50

Boat: J/42

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulAboard View Post
I've done this when docking at a place I thought was questionable... leave the music playing and an open beer on the table.
LOL. That’s what I found after my boat was burgled a couple of months ago.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 05:27   #51
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulAboard View Post
I bet "visitors" appreciate your consideration.
Old 12-04-2022, 07:56   #52

Boat: Lagoon 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
Read your insurance policy. Most prohibit unattended anchoring except in commercial (patrolled) anchorages or mooring fields.

If you do even for short periods, leave lights on and music playing.

I went through my policy and could not any clause specific to anchoring, named storms get special treatment but nothing on anchoring. Do you have sample language prohibiting unattended anchoring you could share?
nextis12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 08:22   #53

Boat: Rafiki 37

No policy I've ever had included a limitation on anchoring.
Old 12-04-2022, 15:31   #54

Boat: Outremer 55L

No specific language in our policy either, but the premium certainly varies depending on whether the boat will be kept in a marina berth versus on a mooring versus live aboard at anchor. I bet that you would have lots of explaining to do to get a claim approved for your boat if it came to grief during an extended period of being anchored unattended.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 18:36   #55

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoyeni View Post
My family is seriously considering going cruising full time and I have a newbie question regarding the logistics of leaving the boat to do experiences on land. In a place like the mediterranean, is it OK to leave the boat unattended at an anchorage while you do day trips? How practical is this in reality? Just trying to determine how much to budget for mooring fees vs expecting that I will be able to find a spot most places that is safe enough to leave the boat at anchor for the day. And beyond that, would it be OK to do this over night? Over a week?
Depending on the location, I left my yacht on anchor for 7 months in Sydney harbor, very sheltered from all sides.

Along the coast maybe for a day, as I say it depends on the circumstance and location.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, boat, cruise, cruiser