Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2020, 16:13   #1

Question about an issue with Hunter two piece cast iron and lead keel?

Hunter used a two piece keel on some Hunter 36s and other models. I am looking at a 2008 Hunter 36 with such a keel. A 2800 lbs lead wing section is bolted to a 1600 lbs cast iron top section to form a two piece keel. The keel is then attached to the hull as normal.

The problem on this boat is a very visible "crack" that goes all around the keel at the joint between the lead and iron sections. There is some material flaking off and it looks a bit rusty, but the boat has been on the hard for a while so it is dry.

There is no damage visible at the joint between the keel and the hull. There is some evidence of scuffing on the leading edge of the keel near the bottom.

I cannot find any information about cracks between these two keel sections.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue?

Thanks... Andy
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2020, 08:58   #2

Boat: Hunter 36
Re: Question about an issue with Hunter two piece cast iron and lead keel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leecea View Post
The problem on this boat is a very visible "crack" that goes all around the keel at the joint between the lead and iron sections. There is some material flaking off and it looks a bit rusty, but the boat has been on the hard for a while so it is dry.
I also own an H36. This question would probably get better answers in the engineering forum. But I wonder - wouldn't it be possible to sand down the paint around that section to see if it is a superficial crack in the paint only, or if it really goes deep into the keel?
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2020, 11:36   #3

Thanks - I'll try that forum.

I am looking at the boat - it's not mine - so I can't do much to it. My choices are to make an offer and pay for a survey, or to walk away. We like the 36 and are not seeing many available in our area. But we don't want to invest survey money if this is an obvious issue that we should be avoiding.
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2023, 10:26   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by leecea View Post
Hunter used a two piece keel on some Hunter 36s and other models. I am looking at a 2008 Hunter 36 with such a keel. A 2800 lbs lead wing section is bolted to a 1600 lbs cast iron top section to form a two piece keel. The keel is then attached to the hull as normal.

There is no damage visible at the joint between the keel and the hull. There is some evidence of scuffing on the leading edge of the keel near the bottom.

I cannot find any information about cracks between these two keel sections.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue?

Thanks... Andy
Hey Sir, did you get any good answer for this issue? Which Hunter 36 was this particular one?
Thanks

Claudio
Claudio.anveres is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter, keel