Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2015, 04:17   #1

Boat: Riva 48
Quadcopters and boats

What do you think could be a good use of a quadcopter on a boat? I was playing with one the other day and came up with the following ideas:

VHF repeater. If you put a custom VHF repeater on it (tuned for channel 16 for example, assuming the power requirements can be met) it could extend VHF radio range to 100+ nm. However, if it was only for this use, one could probably think of a repeater mounted on a balloon. This must have been tried before.

Exploring nearby islands to choose a good place to anchor.

Moving small packages between boats.

Any other ideas/uses? I understand it is a toy but a cool toy.

Vassil
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 04:25   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Quadcopters and boats

Inspecting masthead rigging, - it's often difficult to trace the lead or wrap of a halyard with binoculars.
Old 17-08-2015, 04:33   #3

Unless you are flying it following the rules and guidlines for safe opperation (AMA in the States) the only use is target practice!
As far as the antennae extension I have no idea if the 2.4g signal from the TX will interfere with VHF, never heard of any issues at distance, having eveything right close together not sure.
Been an RC pilot and sailor for a long time. I only fly at designated fields. Love the RC sailboat in the evening at anchor.
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 05:18   #4

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

For taking great sailing shots/videos for your blog. Here’s a new one coming out that you don’t even need to control with a joystick…just “throw and shoot:” VIDEO: World's first 'throw and shoot' video camera located in General | Waterway Guide News Update
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 10:18   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

One thing I would not do is fly over other boats in an anchorage or any where near them. I've always enjoyed skeet shooting and the drone is a lot bigger than a clay pigeon. Or you might end up with a bunch of really angry people visiting you.
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 10:31   #6

Boat: Outremer 50S

I have wondered, but have not tried, if they would be any use at getting that all important overhead view when transiting coral head (bommie) waters. Us old salts climb the ratlines with a pair of polarized glasses on, but it would be cool if I could put up a drone at 50-100 feet, have it autopilot 4 or 5 boat lengths in front of us, and give a real-time bird's eye view of the coral.

I suspect I'd spend too much time paying attention to the drone and not enough to Mk I eyeball and thus increase my risk of running into the hard, crunchy stuff
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 10:33   #7

Boat: Catalina 36, Mk I

I agree with flying over boats (other than your own) at anchor or at marinas. People on the docks around me get a little testy having drones coming by while they are sunning themselves on deck.

Antenna extension might work, but a kite would be as effective I would think. Checking the top of the mast is one that I had not considered, but makes sense.
Old 19-08-2015, 10:48   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post

Exploring nearby islands to choose a good place to anchor.
With Active Captain, Google Earth and all sorts of cruising guides available, the need to do so seems unnecessary.

PWCs are the mosquitoes of the water. Drones are even worse. If you must, go somewhere, somewhere far, far away from others.

The poster who mentioned using his RC planes in a designated field should be applauded. That's why they are designated fields...

Time to start practicing my slingshot technique. Don't wanna start another gun thread!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 10:52   #9

Boat: Hans Christian 33

I would think that there may be opportunities out there to photo other boats at sail with their permission. Maybe go out sailing with them in order to video or take pics of their boat under sail.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 10:59   #10

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 51.1

You won't be able to carry a VHF repeater with any significant battery life on a quadcopter drone, so you can scratch that use. As a "masthead camera" they would be pretty good as long as you had a compass/bearing overlay on the video so you knew exactly what direction it was pointed relative to ship's bearing. I'm sure there's an app for that.

Otherwise, portraiture of boats underway is a good use, and something that's otherwise really expensive without a lot of planning.
mstrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 11:09   #11

Boat: Rinker 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
I have wondered, but have not tried, if they would be any use at getting that all important overhead view when transiting coral head (bommie) waters. Us old salts climb the ratlines with a pair of polarized glasses on, but it would be cool if I could put up a drone at 50-100 feet, have it autopilot 4 or 5 boat lengths in front of us, and give a real-time bird's eye view of the coral.

I suspect I'd spend too much time paying attention to the drone and not enough to Mk I eyeball and thus increase my risk of running into the hard, crunchy stuff
That does sound like a reasonable and handy use! Especially when the autonomous set-and-forget ones get cheap enough to be considered disposable if a gust comes along while they are hovering-ish in formation at a fixed point ahead of the bow.

In regards to extending antenna range, I think that at present it would be best done by kite. Especially one big enough to haul a cross band walkie talkie* a couple hundred feet up in the air.
MBWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 11:18   #12

I'm liking the ballon idea more. Assuming the wire is small, you should be able to hard wire it providing near unlimit run time. Then it's just a matter of keeping it clear of the rigging.

Run time for a drone becomes a problem assuming it isn't waterproof checking for coral heads.

The only issue with the baloon is a mechanism to provide PZT capability as the baloon moves around.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 11:33   #13

Boat: Outremer 55 Light

Obvious but without a doubt videos. It adds a huge dimension to typical sailing videos filmed from the deck.

Sailing with the spinnaker up 800nm north of Hawaii (end of video):

Various sailing shots between Hawaii and Tahiti here:
https://vimeo.com/128220955

Some overheads of sailing on the south san Francisco bay:
https://vimeo.com/120291612

Careful to not fly them in too much apparent wind. I've sacrificed one so far to Neptune when the wind picked up faster than the poor quadcopter could fly.
elaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 12:14   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I'm liking the ballon idea more. Assuming the wire is small, you should be able to hard wire it providing near unlimit run time. Then it's just a matter of keeping it clear of the rigging.

Run time for a drone becomes a problem assuming it isn't waterproof checking for coral heads.

The only issue with the baloon is a mechanism to provide PZT capability as the baloon moves around.

Balloon idea might be tough.

The envelope would need to hold enough helium to carry your payload, so what are you going to do with the large balloon when you are not flying it? Additionally, helium balloons, if left inflated, will lose a percentage of helium each day - even when using a decent envelope material.

Helium filled balloons that would be large enough to carry all but the smallest payloads will have a lot of drag, and will 'dance' quite a bit (though, with the right shape and some fins you could get some lift). Eventually, the stressed material will fatigue and will no longer be able to hold helium. Worse, your balloon along with your electronics could end up in the drink.

Not saying a drone or kite is any better, though I think the drone would be fun.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
BlueChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 12:26   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Can see the benefit of using a drone to navigate inside the lagoons and/or reefs of tropical islands and atolls. If you are lucky, a channel to the village on an island will be charted and/or marked but the rest of the water is no man's land. The only way to move around these areas, and they are huge often usually way larger than the land area, is with someone in the spreaders spotting the coral heads. Hard to do as a single hander even with an autopilot and a remote control. The real achilles heel for all uses of these drones is their short flight endurance. 20 minutes won't get you very far.

For those thinking of using the drone for target practice, might think twice. Someone is already facing charges for shooting down a neighbors drone. Last thing you want is a criminal record for shooting down someone's irksome plaything.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote