Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2017, 10:55   #1

Purchasing boat - place to start

Hey guys, I'm looking to purchase my first boat with my lady. We have a budget of 40,000 at absolute maximum but are better off looking in the closer to 25-35k range. Our plan is to live on this boat and save up while we outfit it for cruising. In two years time we should have plenty to take a few years off and begin our cruising dream (we wont be able to leave until my graduate school is over and done with in 2 years). We have already sold our house and moved into a small apartment so our dedication to this lifestyle is serious. Im reading all of the books I can on boats as well as gathering as much information at possible in the realm of boat buying. Our plans are to cruise for a while, carribean is the goal...but we also want a boat that can be absolutely capable of crossing an ocean. There are so many damn boats out there it is very overwhelming but I am slowly narrowing down. In broad terms, what we are looking at is a 35-40 footer, preferably in the 36-38 range. I would prefer a skeg rudder and fin keel or full keel if looking for a heavier displacement blue water boat. Something sturdy and safe. Basically I am looking for some advice to point me in the right direction. With so many options its very hard to even know where to begin, and which boats have good reputations vs bad ones. We are currently sailing/touring as many as we can to gather a good feel for what we are wanting, but any advice just to point me in the direction of what I'm looking for would be greatly appreciated. The peanut gallery can stay at home, this is a serious post and we are looking to spend our hard earned money on something that we will be happy with. Thanks everyone.
OhNoItsKamryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 11:25   #2

Buying a boat - need advice

Hey guys, I'm looking to purchase my first boat with my lady. We have a budget of 40,000 at absolute maximum but are better off looking in the closer to 25-35k range. Our plan is to live on this boat and save up while we outfit it for cruising. In two years time we should have plenty to take a few years off and begin our cruising dream (we wont be able to leave until my graduate school is over and done with in 2 years). We have already sold our house and moved into a small apartment so our dedication to this lifestyle is serious. Im reading all of the books I can on boats as well as gathering as much information at possible in the realm of boat buying. Our plans are to cruise for a while, carribean is the goal...but we also want a boat that can be absolutely capable of crossing an ocean. There are so many damn boats out there it is very overwhelming but I am slowly narrowing down. In broad terms, what we are looking at is a 35-40 footer, preferably in the 36-38 range. I would prefer a skeg rudder and fin keel or full keel if looking for a heavier displacement blue water boat. Something sturdy and safe. Basically I am looking for some advice to point me in the right direction. With so many options its very hard to even know where to begin, and which boats have good reputations vs bad ones. We are currently sailing/touring as many as we can to gather a good feel for what we are wanting, but any advice just to point me in the direction of what I'm looking for would be greatly appreciated. The peanut gallery can stay at home, this is a serious post and we are looking to spend our hard earned money on something that we will be happy with. Thanks everyone.
Old 23-05-2017, 11:29   #3

Boat: Vancouver 27
Re: Purchasing boat - place to start

You've probably seen mahina's boat list and probably others, but I would suggest not worrying terribly about the exact boat you end up with. Most older production boats are up for the task. Figure out what you guys want, ideally by sailing as many boats as possible, find a boat whose lines you like, near the area you're looking the keep it upfront, and get to know it.

It's hard to go wrong as long as you don't buy a POS in need of serious work, which could be any boat type. Variation between individual boats is often greater than variation between types of boats. Don't skimp on the surveyor if you don't feel qualified to do the inspection yourself.

Otherwise, get out there and learn what works for you guys in the boat and it's systems. Don't make the mistake of spending too much time and money upfront getting it just so. What you think you'll want in the boat is almost certain to change over time.

Best of luck and see ya out there! We're a young couple doing it part time now on a 27'.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 11:34   #4

Thanks, that is good advice. And that is absolutely the route I have been going. But I want to atleast narrow it down some more. So far I have just been searching by footage and getting all models of boats. Just looking to hone in the results so I can narrow through the overwhelming choices.
Old 23-05-2017, 12:39   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

You can simply tag your criteria into yachtworld search engine and see what ensues. Then you can come back with a short list and ask if anybody has or knows the boats you like.

There are zillions of boats and thousands of owners. You cannot expect to get any conclusive insight from a sample like that. You will hear many valid opinions ... that will leave you no wiser.

Narrow down by your price/size bracket. Mark the ones you like. Then ask questions.

This is imho a shorcut. You owe me a beer.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 13:32   #6

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Buying a boat - need advice

Well, hopefully I am not one of the peanut gallery! It would help to know a little more about your experience and preferences, but given what you have said, your budget and the Caribbean, I would say you are looking for an old Morgan or Tartan or Columbia, one of those shoal draft designs with or without a centerboard, from the 60's that is in really good shape. You might get lucky and find one in that size range for $25k. Those old boats may not have a lot of room, but they were built tough and have good reps and experience crossing oceans. I've always liked the design of the S&S designed Hughes 38, but it's not shoal draft. It's not mandatory to get shoal draft, I just hear most folks prefer it for the Caribbean.
Good luck!
Btw, check bluewaterboats.org for good candidates too.
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 13:39   #7

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Member SteadyHand has a running thread on Boats under $30k which is invaluable. There have been some great deals on there. Search for it, or it will pop up.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 13:44   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Well, hopefully I am not one of the peanut gallery! It would help to know a little more about your experience and preferences, but given what you have said, your budget and the Caribbean, I would say you are looking for an old Morgan or Tartan or Columbia, one of those shoal draft designs with or without a centerboard, from the 60's that is in really good shape. You might get lucky and find one in that size range for $25k. Those old boats may not have a lot of room, but they were built tough and have good reps and experience crossing oceans. I've always liked the design of the S&S designed Hughes 38, but it's not shoal draft. It's not mandatory to get shoal draft, I just hear most folks prefer it for the Caribbean.
Good luck!
Btw, check bluewaterboats.org for good candidates too.

Thanks for your reply! I have seen a few Morgan's pop up and I was definitely interested. As far as carribean goes; that's that short term goal because I have sailed there on charters many times. I think we eventually would love to cross to the pacific islands however that part is as much of a dream as it is reality right now. I think short term the carribean is within reach however I do want a boat that is capable and safe. The shoal draft I have seen pop up on quite a few boats. I'm wondering if that effects blue water capabilities or visa versa.
Old 23-05-2017, 13:50   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Kamryn: I'll let others opine on preferences of boat type. I suggest you take a look at Marine Survey 101 which will give you an idea of how to inspect a boat and weed out the junk before you spend your hard earned money on a surveyor
Old 23-05-2017, 14:07   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

I'll leave the choice of boat to others but I do suggest you read my Marine Survey 101 which will help you pre-survey the boat before you lay out money for a surveyor.
Old 23-05-2017, 17:39   #11

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Here ya go:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ds-147098.html

Those boats mentioned have very good reps, but if it were ME, and I knew I was going beyond shallower waters, I'd favor a deeper keel for better performance upwind, because it can be really handy to have good upwind performance. Also, not having a centerboard to maintain is one less thing to deal with. You might check Grampian Classic 37 and Pearson Rhodes 41s, not roomy either, but good reps for strength and sea-kindliness and respectable performance.

BTW check the "boats to vote for" at the bluewaterboats.org site, there are a lot of good ones there too.

You might poke into this social group too, there may be useful references/info there too:
Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Plastic Classics
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 17:44   #12

Boat: Mirage 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
You can simply tag your criteria into yachtworld search engine and see what ensues. Then you can come back with a short list and ask if anybody has or knows the boats you like.

There are zillions of boats and thousands of owners. You cannot expect to get any conclusive insight from a sample like that. You will hear many valid opinions ... that will leave you no wiser.

Narrow down by your price/size bracket. Mark the ones you like. Then ask questions.

This is imho a shorcut. You owe me a beer.

Cheers,
b.
I second this advice. Having just gone through the exercise, I found the most useful initial research was putting my basic criteria (length, age, price, all with pretty generous margins) into the various "boats for sail" websites and seeing what came up. From that it wasn't too hard to develop a shortlist.
Old 24-05-2017, 00:07   #13

Boat: Vancouver 27

It's 100% personal, but I was looking for a boat in the same price range as you a few years back. Coming from a 39' with friends and looking for my own. I went smaller because, generally, you sacrifice build quality for length. And I was coming from a 39' Oday that oil-canned like a b!tch.

Read James Baldwin's take on boats cruising if you haven't come across him already. If only to take a minimalist's reference point on doing things. You can find exceptional examples of ~30ft cruisers in the $30k price range.

7 years in, I'm still in love with our Vancouver27, tho I'd have to say I'd go slightly bigger if doing it again. My personal limitations are standing headroom, which I have, and an enclosed head, which would, at times, be nice.

It's all relative luxuries though. No matter what you have, at various times it would be nice to have either a few feet more or a few feet less. Predominantly a few feet more, but really it's small potatoes. Just get out there and do it.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 09:07   #14

Boat: C&C Mk 1 33'

Consider the Ericson Independence, a 29' blue water boat. Some have a bowsprit and are cutter rigged. Cockpit is large which is usually not present in a blue water boat.
Rhwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 09:24   #15

Boat: Islander 32-2

The other consideration you will have to deal with is geography,
where you currently reside, which I assume is Nashville, as listed, is not blue water sailboat mecca!
For you to travel to view boats, and if you're not going to use a broker, MAKE SURE any images you view are CURRENT!
To spend time and money to look at an older boat, based on 10+ year old pictures is expensive, and disheartening!
Focus your search on areas similar to the conditions you wish to sail in,
ie: a lot of sailboats for sale in SE and SW FL, would be suited to sail comfortably in similar conditions in the Caribbean -
ENJOY the hunt!

cheers,
Mocha
mocha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, buying, purchasing