Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2013, 10:38   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Purchase Advice

I've got up to 100K to spend, mission of the boat is to be a floating condo / coastal cruiser, possibly a rare trip to the Bahamas for the next five years. I don't want an older boat that needs a lot of work, but an older boat that doesn't is fine. Initially it will be in the Gulf of Mexico. It needs to be comfortable enough for the Admiral to enjoy staying on it on weekends, and vacations. A wonderful sailing boat that is cramped and isn't set up for living on would sour her on sailing, and once soured I'm not sure I could get her to change her mind. Of course I don't want a Condo that won't sail either, a compromise is what I'm after.
I think a shoal draft would be preferable, I don't want to do the inter-coastal though.
I don't retire for five years at which time I expect to sell this boat and buy a real cruising boat. I figure that owning and sailing a floating condo / coastal cruiser for five years will tell me a lot more about what I want and don't want in a cruising boat.
Think of this as a "starter boat".
I can't live with a Volvo, for me that's a deal breaker, just don't like them. I think I'm looking for a production boat as re-sale in five years is almost certain, unless of course I happen to luck into the boat that will work for us the first time. Most of our free time is in the summer (early hurricane season, I know) so AC is I'm afraid essential. I don't think I would need much tankage as we won't be going far, big tanks would be nice, but not a deal breaker
I know and expect that I will lose some on this boat money wise, but think I will learn a lot and nothings free. I don't fool myself into thinking I won't take a loss, but don't want to buy something that is hard to sell.

I'm asking for suggestions for which boats to look at, I believe I'm stuck with a 36' or larger as often we will have our two teenagers on board with us, at least for the first few years anyway.
I've been leaning towards Catalina, but there aren't really that many down here in Florida, buying a boat in Maryland or further, delivery costs may be prohibitive.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 10:47   #2

Boat: Tayana 37
Re: purchase advice

An Endeavour 42 would seem to fit your needs fairly well. If you can find one in your range. An ex charter Bene or Juneau could also work quite well abd be within your price range.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 10:49   #3

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

You don't mention any size range, but perhaps the Gulfstar 50 is a type that fits your requirements? Whitby 42, CSY 44, Liberty 45 and many others may also be for you.

As always, you will probably find these older boats in the full range of condition and fitout - survey will be essential.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 10:52   #4

If your looking for an older boat in nice shape then put the Pearson 424 on the list. Should pay a lot less than 100 large but that will keep money in your pocket to make it yours. Another real good oldie but goodie is the Peterson 44 but you'll need time to find a real good one. Tayana 42 is OK if you like canoe sterns. There are many more older designs but this is a good starting point. Newer boats include Beneteau, Jeaneau,Bavaria,Catalina, Hanse,Hunter etc. you'll find a good cross section of these boats in your price range. Remember its not so much the year of the boat(when its older) as much as the care and attention its received. I have to agree with you about the green nightmare engines LOL. Have fun looking, remember the sizzle is sometimes almost as much fun as the steak.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 11:05   #5

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Does the admiral get seasick at all? Maybe a catamaran? Even the lower performance cats will outsail most average monos 20% longer. Plus more comfy at anchor etc etc. Etc. I suggest you charter before spending any $ on something she may not like at all. A 42' mono will roll and be alot more uncomfy at anchor than a 30' cat. Some people the rolling and healing doesn't bother them. For me all day at 15-20 degrees gets real old.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 11:16   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

She does get a little sick, but after a day or so on Dramamine once she gets her sea legs, things get better, but I expect her to spend time under way in the cockpit because of it.
I had figured I need as a min. 36'
What Cats are out there for less than 100K? I don't want a basket case. I'm truthfully expecting to spend up to 20% more than purchase price in the first year or two, but just don't have the time to dedicate to spending a year or two of weekends bringing an old boat back to life, I want to sail, not re-fit, at least not this boat, next one maybe.
Old 22-12-2013, 11:37   #7

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Under 100k cats, gemini, pdq32, endeavourcats 30&34., might get lucky find an Ami renaissance 320.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 11:58   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Purchase Advice

When looking at older used boats I think you are better off shopping the opportunity than the manufacturer. You might decide to search the brand "Y" market and overlook an excellent brand "Z". There are a good number of older boats with sound hulls that have been restored to excellent condition; however, it's a common axiom among these boat owners that you can not recoup the cost of the refit and improvements when the time comes to sell. Especially in the Florida area, there are boats that have been acquired by retirees that have put a great expense into their improvement. These boats are often gently cruised for a few years, not unlike your plan, and then the dream changes. There are plenty of exceptions, but I believe that the average liveaboard cruising couple takes no more than a four or five year term on the boat. I think that your best option for success is to shop the whole market for boats that satisfy your needs and look for the jewel that comes in at the right price.
Old 22-12-2013, 12:00   #9

For your budget and retirement date, I think a five year old charter boat's a great idea. There's no such thing as a 10 year old (or more) boat that doesn't need substantial (and ongoing) work. Save that for your second boat when you have more experience and time. And for your cruising grounds, shoal draft and comfortable ICW bridge clearance are musts.

While a charter boat has been used hard, they also take great care of them and fix problems as they come up. You may want to buy some new sails, bimini/dodger, cushions and batteries but the rest will probably be fine for five years.

Here's a Moorings boat in the Bahamas with air conditioning, 4' 7" draft (and no Volvo).

http://www.mooringsbrokerage.com/use...BoatID=4428252
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 12:05   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
When looking at older used boats I think you are better off shopping the opportunity than the manufacturer. You might decide to search the brand "Y" market and overlook an excellent brand "Z". There are a good number of older boats with sound hulls that have been restored to excellent condition; however, it's a common axiom among these boat owners that you can not recoup the cost of the refit and improvements when the time comes to sell. Especially in the Florida area, there are boats that have been acquired by retirees that have put a great expense into their improvement. These boats are often gently cruised for a few years, not unlike your plan, and then the dream changes. There are plenty of exceptions, but I believe that the average liveaboard cruising couple takes no more than a four or five year term on the boat. I think that your best option for success is to shop the whole market for boats that satisfy your needs and look for the jewel that comes in at the right price.
That is the intent so far. I'm real knowledgeable about airplanes, and it's even more pronounced there, that is buy what you want, don't buy something that you think you will improve, you never get half the money you put into it, back
Actually I guess what I'm looking for more than anything is what are the boats to stay away from? Which ones have structural issues, de-laminating decks, bad hull blistering issues or other things I'm not aware of?
Old 22-12-2013, 12:13   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
................ There's no such thing as a 10 year old (or more) boat that doesn't need substantial (and ongoing) work. .......................
I strongly disagree. Owners like myself, who keep their older boats well maintained, do not suffer from substaintial and ongoing work; although, all sound vessels require vigilant maintenance. I'm actively cruising in comfort on my 41 year old boat that is not for sale. Sound old boats exist and sooner or later their less sound owners sell them! There are definitely 10 year old or older boats that are sold and do not require excessive work. Those that say otherwise might be in the business of selling newer boats.
Old 22-12-2013, 12:21   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
...............Actually I guess what I'm looking for more than anything is what are the boats to stay away from? Which ones have structural issues, de-laminating decks, bad hull blistering issues or other things I'm not aware of?
When it comes to a prospective buy it would be wise to not only have the survey, but to ask questions of other owners found online in owner's groups. I can list about half a dozen concerns for my own year and model vessel that I've shared with others. Often these concerns from original manufacture have been addressed and resolved in an older boat.
Old 22-12-2013, 12:24   #13
CLOD

Boat: none

Get a Hunter 356 or 40.5!
Old 22-12-2013, 12:32   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

So far I'm trending away from charter boats, more than anything else most seem to have a rather large number of cabins in a small boat.
I'm looking so far at boats at least ten years old, mostly constrained by price of course, but also thinking the depreciation won't be so large on a boat that is ten years old when I go to re-sell it and it's fifteen, or should I look for say a newer Catalina, Hunter etc.?
Old 22-12-2013, 12:45   #15

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
For your budget and retirement date, I think a five year old charter boat's a great idea. There's no such thing as a 10 year old (or more) boat that doesn't need substantial (and ongoing) work. Save that for your second boat when you have more experience and time. And for your cruising a charter boat has been used hard, they also take great care of them ]
Have to disagree with this statement. I have a ten year old boat. Defy you to find that it needs substantial work. I have a few buddies with even older boats that look even better. Most of us are winter cruisers who take pride in and look after our boats. As for ongoing work, it's a boat. What do you expect?

Tags
purchase