Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2022, 10:30   #31

Boat: Catalina 36
Re: Pullman Berth w/head in bow

Bob Perry also had this design of the head in the bow in a Freeport Islander 36 (?) that we ferried for 350 miles over the open ocean. After the transport was done, the owner asked for recommendations to the boat. I told him put a seat belt on the head ! As this was the only head on the boat and it was quite a ride when you had to use the head in any type of seaway.
Catboat Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 11:18   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

Gotta be kidding...a head in the bow? I can't think of a more uncomfortable place to be in a seaway. I would never be able to concentrate with my head banging against the overhead.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 14:18   #33

Boat: Westerly Sealord

The head in the focsle is standard 'fit on Vertues
https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/vertue
That is what I had on my Vertue for 10 years around Bass Strait with no cleanliness or discomfort issues.
Full length bunks as well, improved by an infill to make it a sort of double.
Fore hatch just aft of the head meant standing headroom for the gents if required.
Used as sleeping accomodation for my two pups when they were young or by single adult at times.
People needed to have some semblance of nocturnal control over their bowels.

The Hiscock's 'Wanderer 2' and 'Wanderer 3' both had/have the head in the focsle - they raced to the Azores and back in the former and went around the world in the latter.

Wanderer 3 is still used for serious high latitude sailing.

Rough pic of Wanderer 3 below, best I can find at short notice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wanderer3.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	252969  
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 06:56   #34

Boat: Caliber 40LRC

We also had a Caliber 40 with the pullman and 2 heads. We lived/cruised on it for 7 years including 5 winters in Maine. We thought it was a comfortable and spacious layout for a 40ft boat. Aft head used in any rough weather. Forward head was huge with a seperate shower stall. Ventilation was great. We spent a winter in the Bahamas and were always comfortable at anchor. So much better to get into then a V-berth. Climbing over was not much different then having to spin around and kick your partner while exiting a V. Being able to simply roll out of bed for a quick anchor check or to use the head was great. We had Vs on previous boats and often moved aft in rough anchorages. The pullman was even good enough to sleep in during some rough overnight passages. Much better than a V.
TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 07:15   #35

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

ex-Caliber owner here as well, my "new" boat which is a Morgan also is rockin the Pullman. I think it's personal preference whether you prefer a Pullman or V-Berth- each has their pros and cons. I'm a big fan of the Pullman! Like others have said above, much kinder at sea than a V-berth. Depends on what you're going to be doing.

People complaining about the head being forward at sea- well you wouldn't use that head while at sea would you now? Usually boats with a head way up in the bow are big enough to have two heads, so just use the aft head while underway. Having a big head in the front of the boat offers a great private space to do your business.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 07:40   #36

Boat: hans christian, hc33t, 33ft

I have a Hans Christian 33t and I love the pullman berth. One person does have to crawl over the other but for me, this is worth the trouble. I love that I can sleep in the pullman under sail since on my boat the berth is near the center of the boat lengthwise and so doesn't bounce much.

Head at the bow works well too. The separate shower is very well laid out and I'd much rather deal with an anchor locker though the head than over my berth.

I wouldn't have it any other way on a boat my size.
dougtheslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 07:57   #37

Boat: Bayfield 29C Cutter

Can't comment on the Pullman, but my Bayfield 29 has the head forward of the berths and it's huge. Forward of the head is the hanging locker and forward of that is more storage therefore no v-berth. It's not far enough forward to be a "bucking bronco".

I miss looking up at the stars through the hatch above my v-berth and also being able to quickly stick my head out to check out what's going on. On the other hand my guests appreciate having a decent sized head with (sorry about this) standing headroom.

If I had to choose again I'd take the forward head, at least in a boat this size. It seems more logical in a small boat where space is at a premium and settees double as berths.
and4ew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 08:02   #38
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I had a 39s , the head in the forepeak is good use of teh space and very nice, not really usable in a seaway

My wife doesnt like Pullmans . so the Bav36 has a conventional V that is wide enough for both of us to swing our legs around to get out as we sleep head facing aft
Old 18-02-2022, 09:14   #39

I live aboard a Catalina 42 Mk2 with this layout. I prefer it to an aft cabin in similar sized boats as the headroom and clothing storage is laid out better IMHO. It is also quieter at anchor, in marina. The drag is sleeping double requires a climb over for someone. I’m solo so it’s not an issue. The shower is all the way in the forepeak behind the anchor locker & is HUGE as a result. An aft cabin is terrific in a center cockpit, but for anything smaller than 45’ or so I think this is a terrific layout.
SofaKingFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 10:56   #40

Boat: Taswell 43

We've had/sailed out Taswell 43-with the fwd head and pullman berth/stateroom behind. since 1999. For us, personally, we very much prefer it. "Course our T43 is a center cockpit, so the aft suite, with centerline queen-size berth and separate head is generous for this size boat. The fwd head has never been an issue for us, never had a problem with it (or using it),and seems a really good use of space. and the sail locker/chain locker fwd of it is ample.
Never had a "V" berth, and have no desire to ever do so. And you're right-the storage under that fwd pullman is huge. Besides the main aircon, the 30gph watermaker, and the main (25gal) holding tank, there is still room for 3 good-sized drawers and room for lots of spares packed around the holding tank....plus the sidwall and fwd bulkhead lockers. Really good use of space, in my opinion.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 12:36   #41

Boat: Hanse 430e

Hanse 461 and 470 both had the option for a pullman and forward head. 461 also had an option for a single stern cabin. To me that is the perfect layout, although with only 2 staterooms I think the forward head would be extra. On both boats opposite the double pullman you could either get lockers or a single bunk. I'd take the single bunk and use it underway and when its a pain to crawl over your partner.
Dogscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2022, 10:11   #42

Boat: currently boatless and looking

Islander Freeport 36 B plan has this layout. I'm currently looking for one.
FoxIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2022, 15:12   #43

Boat: Catalina 470

Another vote FOR the pullman berth. We have a Catalina 470 and our guests really like that area compared to the v-berth cabin that was on our previous vessel, an Endeavour 40' CC. We like the aft-cabin but can see using the pullman berth when its just us and likely to be super hot, raining, both, or a lack of wind at night. Depends on how many fans I can get installed in the aft this winter!
glanrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2022, 16:13   #44
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

i like the concept although have never been on a boat that had that layout .. like the caliber 40.
Old 22-02-2022, 11:47   #45

Boat: csy 37

And don't forget the CSY 37 - the B plan, not the awful A plan. Even the designer thought the A plan was an abortion, but, that's what the buyer wanted.

The head occupied the bow section for about six feet and included a sit or stand shower (below the "sit" was great access to the chain locker) the raritan ph II pumpout head (best head ever exceptiing a bucket) to port, a sink and cabinet to stbd with a medicine cabinet and a large opening overhead hatch above. Also the all important forward facing bronze port to provide boat ventilation during a rainstorm. The Admiral called it her bathroom and thought it as good as the one at home.

Aft to port was the large 'pullman' berth, big enough for two to sleep comfortably and not hot because of the large overhead opening hatch and bronze port. And a huge storage space beneath. To starboard were multiple drawers and hanging lockers and cabinets.

the remainder of the boat interior was the large salon with settees to port and a generous table - never had to convert it to a double berth - with 60 gallon water tank beneath. Water tanks p&s both had large hatches for access to cleaning them when necessary. Starboard was another settee which could be made into two berths. Never did. And benesth the sole a 50 gallon diesel tank - stainless steel - with an opening hatch and a bolt closing a hole where yoiu inserted your measuring stick to check fuel level. Much simpler and more reliable that your electric guage and so easy to access it was an easy chore to measure fuel level. And aft of the salon a galley to port and nav station to starboard.

The Admiral picked this boat and after ten years aboard I think she made a great choice.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head