Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2018, 09:51   #31

Boat: N/A
Re: pros/cons of getting ASA 103/104 vs just doing it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by febone View Post
One of the issues we have around here is a very high commercial and recreational traffic environment.

It's typical to have to dodge three converging ferries whilst leaving the mooring field, avoid any number of power cruisers unaware of the rules or distracted, and then deal with tugs/tows, large freighters and LNG tankers in the main channel. There are five sailing schools in the immediate area all with ongoing classes and member sailors.

When the wind is up or down the harbor, we are tacking across the inbound and outbound traffic lanes in constant risk of collision.

Getting used to the traffic with an instructor aboard who is used to fitting an MOB exercise in behind the tug, around the ferry and in front of the freighter in a gusty, variable wind and a running tide is helpful before venturing out in that environment on your own.

The scenario sounds a lot like upper New York Bay. Definitely wouldn’t do that without an instructor first.
xlongboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 17:49   #32

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Febone, that environment seems a good one for advanced training, but not so good for basic sailing instruction. I'd think that a simpler situation where one could concentrate on the elements of sailing itself rather than complicated traffic avoidance would be better.

But then I've never had formal instruction in sailing, so my perspective may be biased.

Jim
Old 12-06-2018, 01:46   #33

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Skimmed through most of the replys - some we agree with some not.

We did the ASA through 104 and I did 106 as a charter company would not charter to us until I understood navigation ( it was funny that I was a member of mountain search and rescue and taught navigation and I spent the entire class working with a guy trying to understand north and south) but I did get a few tools for the tool box.

One thing I don't think anyone mentioned yet is when you go to a port and they want to see you capt credentials we pull out our ASA books and they that satisfies them

The other thing we got was teamwork. We had a great instructor who made us work as team with each of us being capt or crew issuing directions to the other - it worked for us.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:04   #34

Boat: PSC 37 Crealock #149 (RIP)

Decided to sail in retirement. Took ASA 101 in 2008 to help me ask right questions when buying boat - incomplete but successful strategy. Chose 1983 Pacific Seacraft 37 Crealock in 2009. Volunteered as crew in local regattas on cruising racers to learn how to go fast(er) - cruising is not racing but I (L)earned sail trim, rules of road, and the importance of a "weather eye." You can learn more in one day racing than a month day sailing - it just takes thick skin. Took ASA 103/104 to help select kit during refitting - good but incomplete strategy. Take less food, spares and tools, and more toys. Took ASA 105 before circumnavigating from Houston chasing sunsets via Panama, Capes York and Good Hope 2011-4. Now ASA instructor. If you want to learn fast, get a mentor. You'll know everything need to circumnavigate by the time you reach Panama. Just do it.
JDGreenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 09:56   #35

Boat: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGreenlee View Post
Decided to sail in retirement. Took ASA 101 in 2008 to help me ask right questions when buying boat - incomplete but successful strategy. Chose 1983 Pacific Seacraft 37 Crealock in 2009. Volunteered as crew in local regattas on cruising racers to learn how to go fast(er) - cruising is not racing but I (L)earned sail trim, rules of road, and the importance of a "weather eye." You can learn more in one day racing than a month day sailing - it just takes thick skin. Took ASA 103/104 to help select kit during refitting - good but incomplete strategy. Take less food, spares and tools, and more toys. Took ASA 105 before circumnavigating from Houston chasing sunsets via Panama, Capes York and Good Hope 2011-4. Now ASA instructor. If you want to learn fast, get a mentor. You'll know everything need to circumnavigate by the time you reach Panama. Just do it.
This is great advice and I appreciate it.. Do you need a intern? ha

I'm going to take some beginner classes this weekend at a local club. The have races every sat so after the class I'll start crewing during the races. It's such a massive learning curve and after reading all the input I think it's worth taking some basics through classes. Eventually I will simply have to get my boat and learn under safe conditions then challenge myself bit by bit.

D
Danvrgs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asa