Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2010, 15:14   #61
cruiser

Blue:
THUNDERHEAD was always one of my favorite designs. Just finished an article for GOB on RHODES designs,. It was fun to write.
bob perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 15:38   #62
cruiser

private message

I just got a private message about a builder but I coulod not access it.

So,,,go to my web site amnd email me fom there please.
Old 30-10-2010, 16:18   #63

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Dang!...I want one!

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 18:26   #64

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Good looking boat.
Really like the style of it, particularly the 2 cockpits.

Now I just need 2 bank balances... large ones... with 57' of zeros...

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 18:32   #65
cruiser

Vags:
Thank you.
hope your ship comes in.
Old 30-10-2010, 18:39   #66
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
I see no ship that big on my horizon so, time to go buy another lottery ticket.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 20:38   #67

Boat: Van de Stadt Victory 40 ketch
Send a message via Yahoo to kismet
Nice looking boat Mr Perry, and it is a ketch. Who said that a ketch has no place in today's world?
Old 30-10-2010, 20:53   #68

Boat: Camper & Nicholsons 38
We have a Camper and Nicholsons 38 foot CC ketch, 1974. The number one feature for us that is important is that the fully enclosed cockpit provides great protection from the elements - we live in the Pacific Northwest and want to sail most of the year. Let's face it, even summer can be miserable at times....

My wife has pretty bad rheumatoid arthritis, and without the protection offered by the CC design, she'd have a hard time sailing in the summer up here. Or put another way, the protection offered by the CC is a sine qua non for us. I suppose you could do that with an AC, but it's a natural for a CC.

Disadvantage of a design this old is that head clearance is not always the best, and the berths are not well arranged. Not a good double berth - we plan to fix that though. Hard to see how a CC on a boat smaller than 38 feet could work, but I suppose a really good designer could pull that off.

Van
afmstm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 21:55   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by afmstm View Post
We have a Camper and Nicholsons 38 foot CC ketch, 1974. The number one feature for us that is important is that the fully enclosed cockpit provides great protection from the elements - we live in the Pacific Northwest and want to sail most of the year. Let's face it, even summer can be miserable at times....
I've a full bimini and a pilot house and especially for winter they are nice. I always roll up the sides and back when sailing but it still helps a lot and I can always duck down into the pilot house and get some warmth. When the sea's rough, though, I don't like the motion in the pilot house as much as in the rear cockpit. I don't know if that is from being more to the centre of the boat or from being lower in the boat?

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 22:31   #70

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob perry View Post
Vags:
Thank you.
hope your ship comes in.
Thanks Bob, it may...

I'm a pathetic romantic at heart and if our Aussie $ is still high when the house sells I'd like to give one of your old CT54s a good home...

Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2010, 01:12   #71

Boat: Traditional 30
Quote:
Snip
I am happy to answer any questions. If I get testy and defensive it is because for the last four months I have worked day and night on this design I know every inch of it intimately. So what on the face of it may sound like testyness and defensiveness may in fact only only be testyness and defensiveness. If you think of a change PLEASE first think of all the other components your change will require changing.
Snip .
OK I will be the first idiot ask the first dumb question and test your testyness

Why not an open or fold out transom? You know, for getting the mother in law out of the tender etc. Or did i miss something?

btw, if you have a spare one lying around, I will be more than happy to take it off your hands. The second cockpit is a great place to keep the mother inlaw stashed and out of the way. With any luck I wouldnt even be able to hear those dumb questions that only inlaws can ask

Cheers

Oz
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2010, 02:01   #72

Boat: Custom
I wish we had more of Bob's designs in Australia and those who have them actually looked after them!

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2010, 03:27   #73

Boat: Carter 33
I have a Carter 33 CC built by passage yachts here in Australia.

Even at 33' in length it is an excellent design. I use it as a cruiser/racer and it's got a good turn of speed, but the aft cabin means that it's very usable for weekends away down the coast and so forth.

Works very well for us - and my wife is appreciative of the separated bedroom when we have guests aboard.

The cockpit is dry and I've got a dodger that I put up if out at sea.

There is a bit of a duck into the rear cabin, but I am 6'1 and not small and it's fine for me - works well for us as a design.

In short - I love my CC Carter; it's a ripper.
fastforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2010, 03:50   #74
Armchair Bucketeer

that forward cockpit would make a great jacuzzi

just sayin'

on the aft cabin thing - at 30' only sitting headroom and no walkthrough. not at all coffin like, but with double berth still the matter of 2nd occupant climbing over the 1st .......as no immediate need for a double berth and I actually prefer the saloon / seaberths aft cabin gonna make a really great walk in locker

Have mulled over removing the aft cabin entirely - but a shame to lose that storage, even if the cockpit would be 100% better (and 100% bigger). but then I would need to add a capacity for a double berth somewhere else (I travel in hope )..........if only I could find the perfect boat.............
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2010, 04:55   #75

Boat: Hunter Vision
Center Verses Aft Cockpit

We have owned both. For cruising with more than a couple the aft does not have the privacey the center offers. You can buy moderatly low freeboard centers and if rigged properly they will sail (Perform with aft boats) Long range cruising a center has more room and if a good boat with mderate freeboard will sail fine. (Deep Draft 5'6 to 7') We re rigged a CSY 44 and sailed her to South America & back and she would keep up with or pass most of the cruising fleet. We also owned a 47 aft cocpit and she was fast and more nimble with less than desired cabin space. Definatly eaiser to handle in close quarters but when cruising this is not relevant unless you are addicted to marinas.
Differant Boats for Differant Folks
Our Lord's Blessings & Fair Winds
Ed & Bonnie
Almost Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
center cockpit