Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2010, 03:01   #31

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400
Thanks for all the comments! What about windvane steering systems? I would like this feature but have heard it could be difficult in a CC. Is this true for those of you that have CC?
jacob30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 03:40   #32

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine
Some have an emergency steering post come up through the aft deck from the quadrant, and you can attach the leads from the wind vane to that?
Keith
Old 29-10-2010, 05:12   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfmachine View Post
Some have an emergency steering post come up through the aft deck from the quadrant, and you can attach the leads from the wind vane to that?
Keith
That's the way ours 44cc is, except the tiller is (appears to be) permanently mounted. That is a bit of deck sweeper, but assures that it is always ready.

Have not yet tried the wind vane, conditions have not been right.

The other option would be to use a aux rudder/trim tab type that does not use the rudder. I have one of them on the 33ac and it seems to work well.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 06:37   #34
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
More motion a the helm in rough weather. I have a bad back and wish my helm was lower. Better visablity the rest of the time. After staterooms are hard to ventilate.
Old 29-10-2010, 06:54   #35

Boat: S2-35C
Thinwater, I beg to differ. I don't see the motion any different between mine and other's who have an AC. As to ventalation, mine is far better than some AC aft cabin combos of similar length I've been on. Many of then are like a coffin.
pas63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 09:03   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by pas63 View Post
Thinwater, I beg to differ. I don't see the motion any different between mine and other's who have an AC. As to ventalation, mine is far better than some AC aft cabin combos of similar length I've been on. Many of then are like a coffin.
No question, every boat is different. Some designers solve problems better than others. However, the OP did not specify specific models, so we are listing things to consider and observe.

Motion is a very relative thing, and each person will respond differently and be bothered by different motions. Seating possition is at least as important as the amount of motion. That said, on a boat with a fly bridge, it can be wild up top and quite calm on the cabin sole.

Certainly, not every negative or possitive in this thread is universal!
Old 29-10-2010, 09:51   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob30 View Post
Thanks for all the comments! What about windvane steering systems? I would like this feature but have heard it could be difficult in a CC. Is this true for those of you that have CC?
I have a Monitor windvane on my KP 44. No problem at all, just a longer run for the lines from the vane to the wheel in the CC.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 10:16   #38
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
We punched thru 8' to 10' very choppy, steep seas this summer for about 8 hours. did not get sick or feel tossed around at the helm of our CC. We sit about 18" higher than the 45DS next to us. But we seem to have a more solid ride, not a cork bobbing on the ocean. So it depends on the whole design.
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 10:18   #39

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob30 View Post
The Cons as I see them are:

1. Difficulty in boarding
2. No swim platform typically
3. Increased spray from bow
4. Cockpit Drainage maybe
5. Centerline Double not great at sea

What I am really after is what performance issues are there for this configuration? I have not sailed a CC and only have experience in aft cockpit with sugar scoop transom.

Your thoughts?

Thanks,
Jacob
I am currently building a 42' semi-custom centre cockpit yacht in Australia. I have sailed on both the aft and centre cockpit versions of the same boat and can detect no difference in sailing performance. The sail plan is the same and the hulls are identical. Anyone comparing a centre cockpit to an aft cockpit boat should really make comparisons between boats where the only difference is the location of the cockpit or the comparison is really about design preference of the individual boat, not the concept.

To answer your cons:
My boat has a sugar scoop platform and is therefore as easy to board as the aft cockpit version. With a lazarette butted up against the top 4' of the centreline bed I reckon it will make a great sea berth, at least on one tack. If the first mate tacks while I'm in bed then I'll just have to move to the other side of the bed. This is no different to trying to sleep in the imitation double beds in aft cockpits except that it is a lot further to the other side of the bed on most centre cockpit designs. As far as increased spray from the bow, my boat will have a one piece hard dodger / binimi so I'm not planning to get wet in my cockpit.

The biggest thing going for the centre cockpit was that they were the only boats (under 45') that my wife felt she'd be happy living on. I would have preffered the aft cockpit, but "happy wife is happy life."

The biggest disadvantage I see is that the cockpit is usually a bit higher to make a full height walkway to the aft cabin. This requires one extra step to the saloon. Maybe on a 50'+ boat this would not be an issue.

I'm sure that there have been some terrible centre cockpit designs, just hope that mine will not be one of them. You can all let me know.

Greg
Old 29-10-2010, 12:57   #40

Boat: Irwin sloop
I have a 32.5 Irwin CC. I realized when I bought her 38 years ago she wasn't the prettiest girl at the dance but I had already learned the hard way that pretty girls can be very deceitful and awfully $pendy. We've grown old together cruising PNW waters from Olympia to Alaska and the CC concept works very well for me as a coastal cruiser. I added a wind screen and a full enclosure dodger for cold season outings and with all lines led to the cockpit it's a safe and comfortable winter cruiser as well. The deck space aft of the cockpit is large enough to be used for cooking, fishing or a small work space. The dinghy hangs from davits above the swim step. I'm 5'11" and walk fully erect throughout the boat without bumping my head. For me the CC has always seemed like an advantage and although I have friends with very beatiful boats that I enjoy being aboard there always seems to be something unhandy about getting around on them. I'm probably just "set in my ways". The cockpit is small though, removing the wheel and instruments helps a lot.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 13:07   #41

Boat: Custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day

So, my personal preference is for an aft cockpit design. I have never understood the obsession with using somewhere around 30-35% of the boats usable volume for a place that you use for around 8 hours a day... unconscious! YMMV.

I won't reiterate all the arguments that have been aired before, and leave it to the individual buyer to decide what is best for them.

Cheers

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II (aft cockpit, 2 comfortable aft cabins) lying Airlie Beach, Qld, Oz

I think you are not cruising with children, all the cc boats we sailed on we renamed the owners cabin "the escape pod" even had a little sign we hung on the door. 1/2 hour of door closed reading made all the difference

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 13:56   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
I have a 32.5 Irwin CC. I realized when I bought her 38 years ago she wasn't the prettiest girl at the dance but I had already learned the hard way that pretty girls can be very deceitful and awfully $pendy. We've grown old together cruising PNW waters from Olympia to Alaska and the CC concept works very well for me as a coastal cruiser. I added a wind screen and a full enclosure dodger for cold season outings and with all lines led to the cockpit it's a safe and comfortable winter cruiser as well. The deck space aft of the cockpit is large enough to be used for cooking, fishing or a small work space. The dinghy hangs from davits above the swim step. I'm 5'11" and walk fully erect throughout the boat without bumping my head. For me the CC has always seemed like an advantage and although I have friends with very beatiful boats that I enjoy being aboard there always seems to be something unhandy about getting around on them. I'm probably just "set in my ways". The cockpit is small though, removing the wheel and instruments helps a lot.
Yes, second the warm in winter statement. That is the flip side to summer ventilation issues; center cockpit boats tend to be warmer. We sail all year and scarcely ever use weather gear">foul weather gear, even in foul weather.
Old 29-10-2010, 14:06   #43

Boat: 42 hatteras
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon123 View Post
I think you are not cruising with children, all the cc boats we sailed on we renamed the owners cabin "the escape pod" even had a little sign we hung on the door. 1/2 hour of door closed reading made all the difference
and not cruising with a signifigant other. who is unconscience 8 hours a night?
Ruf361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 14:15   #44
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
I don't get the poor ventilation issue. Most CC have a proper hatch into the aft cabin hence you can rig a chute etc. On aft cockpits it's very difficult to ventilate the rear cabins which often only have a small hatch that opens under the sprayhpod

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 15:17   #45
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
The hatch over our aft bed is 32" X 32". Good for ventilation and star gazing. So far we've not needed the scoop. We do use them on the 3 large forward hatches
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
center cockpit