Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2017, 15:02   #1

Boat: 1985 Catalina 27
Pls help=my first post here!

I have been sailing a lot on dinghies when I was younger..... jobs/children/etc. = no sailing for a number of years.... would like to buy some 30'/35' sloop for cruising.... what's the max size for solo handling? I'm close to Annapolis..... will visit the Newport Boat Show next week.
Thanks
ferrailleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 15:38   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Southern Cross 31
Re: Pls help=my first post here!

Your in the ball park with 30-35 foot. You can sail bigger boats single handed, but, the problem is not sailing them, its getting onto a mooring on your own, or getting alongside, having to get dock lines on with no one to help. I have a southern cross 31, I was almost goinig to buy a Bristol 39, but I was worried about handling it in docking. I bought the smaller boat, as I felt more confident with it. I have had to sail it onto moorings when the engine was no go, and I have had to sail alongside on a dock, drop the sails, then do my own mooring lines, thats a lot of work on a 31 footer, but if you have plenty of money, sky is the limit, all electric winches, bow thruster, roller reef main, auto everything, as long as it all keeps working, you could sail some pretty big boats on your own.
atlantical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 15:42   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Welcome aboard CF.

This topic "How Big is Too Big" and "What is best boat for Single Handing" and similar have been discussed on this forum recently, and times before that too.

You will find the comments and opinions vary, but it is there for reading.

One of CF's members, Andrew Evans (FOOLISH on CF) is very experienced at single handed sailing, and has written an excellent book about it. I encourage you to buy the book and read it, as it is packed with insights and tips.

Here is a comment he posted about the size of a boat for singlehanding, based on his extensive experience.

Size of Boat for Singlehanding?
Monohull sailboat size for shorthanded cruising - Page 2 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Here is the title of his book:

Singlehanded Sailing: Thoughts, Tips, Techniques & Tactics by Andrew Evans.

Andrew Evans is a member of CF. His book is very good reading, full of insights into singlehanded sailing, including his own experience (800 times, 3500 hours singlehanded) and the experiences of other singlehanded sailors.

It is well worth the small price ($14 Paperback edition). It is available on amazon in two editions, paperback or kindle.

Get the latest print (or Kindle) edition (Sept 2014) as it contains new additional content over the earlier PDF version that was distributed for free online. The 2014 edition is also available as a kindle version ($13).
Andrew added 40,000 new words to the latest Amazon print (or Kindle) edition including:

The new edition has several new chapters and major additions, including:
Extended interviews with Craig Horsfield (Mini 6.50), Joe Harris (Class 40) and Ryan Breymaier (IMOCA 60) about sailing their performance racers.
A whole chapter on keels, keeping the boat upright and reducing leeway, including water ballast, canting keels, dagger boards and the DSS wing.
A big section and lessons from Jessica Watson’s collision with a freighter, including the report from The Australian Transportation Safety Bureau.
A long interview and photos from Ruben Gabriel on every singlehander’s dream; what it’s like to break a mast and repair it – half way to Hawaii.
Dealing with hull punctures in real life (not the movie version).
A long talk with 3-time circumnavigator Jeanne Socrates on living aboard.
Discussions with singlehanders about their real life medical emergencies.
Dan Alonso’s story of rescuing another singlehander in horrible weather.
The good way and not-so-good way to hit a rock, from my own experience.

While you may still be able to find the free (earlier) version online, I encourage anyone to spend a little to compensate Andrew for writing such a good and helpful book.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N9ICA12...ng=UTF8&btkr=1
-__________

A free ebook version Andrew uploaded for free viewing contains much content, but not the same content (it does not contain the newer 40,000 words noted above). Here is a link to the latest authorized free version (3rd edition PDF). If you like this, I still encourage the purchase of the full, newest edition from Amazon.
http://sfbaysss.org/resource/doc/Sin...rdEdition2.pdf

Another thread example:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...at-188330.html

And another thread on the topic:
Boat for Single Handed Sailing?

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2379503

And if you look back in some of the threads here in this list, you will find many comments on what people think is a good size or good boat for single hand sailing.
https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...and&gsc.page=1

Good luck on your boat search.
I hope this helps you get a good one.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 15:58   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

The max size is completely dependent on your skills, how the boat is set up, and the conditions. Having said that, I would say something 30 or a bit smaller would make sense. If it is just you, a 28-30 footer is plenty of room, but you could go even smaller.

If you are in the Annapolis area, consider joining the Chesapeake boating club in Eastport. You pay a monthly/yearly fee, and get access to alot of boats. There are social aspects too. In the end, you ca work on your skills, try different craft, and meet other sailors.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 16:06   #5

Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA

From what I hear there's not too many new boats in that size range.

Probably a good idea to decide where and how you want to cruise...

As mentioned above, the sailing part is usually pretty easy, it's everything else that becomes more difficult on bigger boats. And not only more difficult, but more expensive.

I've only owned one boat, which I've had for the past 7yrs. A Pearson 323. It's been perfect for me... on the ICW, California to Hawaii, to Tahiti, and now in Fiji.

I cruise mostly solo but sometimes I have another person on board. In cruise mode 2 people is about the max for my comfort and I definitely prefer solo. V berth becomes storage for clothes, books, bike, water jugs, guitar, etc. Life raft in the hanging locker... Sleep on the table bunk. It's just tall enough for me and I'm about 6'2.

Maybe once or twice over the 7yrs I wished I had more space, but then I get rid of stuff I haven't used or no longer need I usually end up with extra space.

There's a thread somewhere for pocket cruisers and many google results for that term. Pearson also makes a 35-36? and a 424
theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 03:40   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, ferralleur.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 03:53   #7

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
If you are in the Annapolis area, consider joining the Chesapeake boating club in Eastport. You pay a monthly/yearly fee, and get access to alot of boats. There are social aspects too. In the end, you ca work on your skills, try different craft, and meet other sailors.

Chris
There's also the Annapolis Sailor's Club, which is a Meetup group and very successful and active. The primary purpose of the club is to match up those with boats who need crew with those who are boatless who want to go sailing. It's $75/year to join.

As for the original question, it's a bit like asking how long is a piece of string. The answer depends on your skill level (to a degree), how the boat is outfitted and how you intend to use it and where you plan to go.

The general consensus is to buy the smallest boat that meets your needs; it's more manageable, less expensive to maintain, etc. Only buy a bigger boat if you have a good reason to and money to burn, in general.

If you just want to putter around the Chesapeake then I would certainly buy the smallest boat that meets your needs. Much of the water in the Bay is skinny, dockage is expensive, and all a bigger boat gives you is room for more overnight guests. And everyone knows you never want more than two of those.

I think 30' is perfect for the Bay. It's probably why you see so many Catalina 30s out there. Excellent coastal boat, relatively capacious inside for it's size, affordable and well laid out.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:54   #8

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

A couple of things to take note:
1) the expense of a boat increases with the CUBE of the increase in length, it's not a simple 2 feet longer 2 feet more expense :-)

2) 40 years ago the average size of a boat cruisng the world was 32 feet....now it's goodness know what but MUCH bigger
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrailleur View Post
I have been sailing a lot on dinghies when I was younger..... jobs/children/etc. = no sailing for a number of years.... would like to buy some 30'/35' sloop for cruising.... what's the max size for solo handling? I'm close to Annapolis..... will visit the Newport Boat Show next week.
Thanks
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:12   #9

Boat: Catalina 30

Look at something like a Catalina or similar, you can get a lot of boat at a good price and will be able to sell it if you decide not to go full bore and still get manufacturer support.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:30   #10

Boat: Boatless

Here's the boat for you ;-)

Will even spend a week with you sailing her from Nassau to Annapolis (where we bought her)!

I've taken her solo up and down the East Coast as for north as Nantucket and as far South as Georgetown. She's now been through two hurricanes on my watch and done just fine :-)

http://m.sailboatlistings.com/view/63799

Seriously, to answer your question, you get used to handling the boat you have. When I first took our 50' Cat out of the slip it felt like driving a football field.

Not much later was sailing her solo from Tonga to Fiji. In some respects I prefer bigger (37+) to smaller particularly in docking situations when things happen a bit slower. It's all relative. As I said before you get used to the boat you have.

Enjoy! (and seriously, buy my boat and we'll sail her up there next spring) :-)
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:51   #11

I think you are suggesting a good range for singlehanding. I had a ton of fun singlehanding my 31 footer.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:57   #12

Boat: Moana 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
...One of CF's members, Andrew Evans (FOOLISH on CF) is very experienced at single handed sailing, and has written an excellent book about it...
I've read the book but never made the connection, thanks Steady. I gained a lot from that book, kept it handy all the time I was boat searching (probably influenced my choice of boat a great deal). Looking around, it seems the smaller the boat, the more actual sailing is done, and this 33' is plenty big enough for the two of us (but not so for everyone).
NevisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:53   #13

Boat: bare boat charter world wide

Welcome aboard,

Agree on that it does depend on your skill, experience and seaman ship.

A 30 to 34 foot sailing vessel can be single handed , and even docked under sail, or pick up or drop off moorings, or anchor.

Also, you will have an engine for close quarters maneuvering in berth areas that are constraining for maneuvering under sail.

Would also suggest a good auto pilot that comes in handy when raising or lowering sails, coiling and stowing dock lines and fenders. And, when you have navigation or other duties to handle when underway.

I like the idea of a sailing club to find others to sail with , and also become more practiced with them on board for your single handing goal.

Give yourself plenty of room and be aware of traffic all around you.

Main thing also, try out several different vessels to see what works for you and that you are totally comfortable with as to helm position, winches, line handling, sheets, halyards, and other running rigging.

Another plus for crewing and sailing on OPB ( Other Peoples Boats) as in a sailing club.

Also, have a reefing the main system that is easy to work with and not require a lot of up on the cabin roof, at the mast, in a blow situation.

You do not want to get all excited and make a purchase of a vessel unless it is correct for you, and for you single handing.
bvisailing32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:20   #14

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I had a C&C25 that I took out alone all the time. Docking, anchoring, reefing, no problem at all.

I had a Pearson 30 that I took out alone all the time. Docking, anchoring, reefing, no problem at all. But not as easy as the C&C25.

IMHO, its not so much about the size of the boat, but how well you have setup things like lines and fenders, halyards, and bow rollers(anchors). On a bigger boat, winches do all the heavy lifting/pulling. Its more about you being mentally prepared with a plan that allows you to do all the things you need to do in the time available. You may see a singlehanded sailor hove to for a while before approaching a dock, while he prepares his dock lines or stows his sails. When you are alone, everything happens sequentially, you can only be in one place at a time. So, for example, I would leave my dock lines on the dock, with a loop to go over the deck cleat on my boat. This means each line takes about 5 seconds to make down at the exact right length. But I also kept a stern line and headrope ready to go, secured on the rails, for when I went to some other dock (springs can wait). Simple things like always having the engine in "start position", or having water/sunblock/hat/sunglasses/etc all close at hand before casting off. Autohelm has to be the best thing that ever happened to singlehanding. I would not leave the dock without it!

I think of singlehanding as the pinnacle of sailing. But it takes time and experience to get there. I did lots of sailing with crew who did very little before I ventured off alone. I did lots of docking/anchoring with the engine running in neutral before I dared to sail on with the engine off.

So if you are wondering about boat size for singlehanding...there really is no limit. The limit is your budget, your skill level, and your comfort. But if you want the short answer....keep it under 35 feet. And don't expect to singlehand on the first day. Like anything else, it takes some deep thought, preparation, and practice. But hey...thats all the fun right there!

Personally, I found a bigger boat kinda lonely when sailing alone. All those empty lockers, empty bunks. It just reminded me that I was alone. Sure, its a great feeling to have the boat and skills to sail solo...but its also kinda nice to have a friend with you, especially maybe one of the appropriate gender for a little snuggling when the sun goes.

And finally, when sailing alone, when something goes wrong, just blame it on the crew.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 08:04   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevisDog View Post
I've read the book but never made the connection, thanks Steady. I gained a lot from that book, kept it handy all the time I was boat searching (probably influenced my choice of boat a great deal). Looking around, it seems the smaller the boat, the more actual sailing is done, and this 33' is plenty big enough for the two of us (but not so for everyone).

I sail my 33 singlehanded most of time. Mr. Evans's book is very helpful. My boat is not fit Mr. Evans' s recommended set up for singlehanded but I accommodate ok, some extra works but can handle still.
Maybe good autopilot will help me a lot.
cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote