Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2020, 14:30   #16

Re: Please help me choose my first boat #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusC View Post
Another point is that I plan on cruising across Lake Michigan, which takes several hours and water may be rough, with my wife, tween daughters and, perhaps, a friend or two of theirs. That’s why I am inclined to something between 25 and 30ft.

Counting: you, wife, 2 kids, friend plus 2 = 7!!!

That's a lot of people. Even on day sails. Many of us have larger boats and feel cramped with more than three or four in the cockpit.

If this is a "regular" thing, a 30 footer would be a minimum. We owned a C22 and did lots of what Jim did, except for Canada and SoCal - we did the Bay and trailered to the Delta and back. Too small for Lake Michigan, I have many friends who live and sail there.

A Catalina 27 isn't much larger down below than a Catalina 25 because the C27 design includes the lazarette for the motor well. Boats that small with inboard engines don't work, 'cuz the engine takes so much space that there's no way to service anything, including the stuffing box.

Keep looking, happy hunting, post back if you find other candidates.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2020, 04:10   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
You might also consider the C&C25mk1. Its a big 25 footer with a big boat feel. Definitely within your budget. Shallow draft, easy to sail, but also fast. Comfortable for 3 adults to sleep on extended trips, or a small family of 4. I had one for many years, and had many adventures sailing with my 2 kids all over Lake Ontario. This solid design is comfortable even when the wind and waves get big. With a furling jib and autohelm, you can go anywhere.
EXCELLENT idea, Dave!

Wish I'd thought of it.

Did you find your new boat this Summer, I hope?
Warmly,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2020, 08:16   #18

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Ann, thanks for your great reply! I would love a 22 footer, especially a Catalina 22. As I was thinking about it I came to the conclusion it would be great initially, but not as I learned a bit more. I can’t store it at my house, so I’d spend the $ with storage anyway. In the past I had a 17’ daysailer and, rigging it would take me 45, reducing sailing time and the odds I would actually go sailing. Another point is that I plan on cruising across Lake Michigan, which takes several hours and water may be rough, with my wife, tween daughters and, perhaps, a friend or two of theirs. That’s why I am inclined to something between 25 and 30ft.
Note that the smoothness of the ride will be substantially better on the longer boats which may not bother you but could be a deal killer for your family. Having sailed both a Cal 20 and a Shock 30, (I've also sailed a Hunter 42 which was like driving a bus compared to the Shock) I can tell you the difference is unbelievable in terms of comfort level. Since you can't park the trailer sailor at your house, that eliminates them in my mind as they really are too small for four people - even for day sailing. My choice would be the C&C as your could conceivably take your family out for a week on that boat - though it would still be tight. The slip cost between a 29' and 27' won't be that much. This is a tricky step for you as you don't want to end up with something that your family hates (which would pretty much destroy any dreams you had). I'd avoid the Atomic engines as they are gas - most boat buyers will opt for diesel engines and you really can't afford to repower and stay anywhere near your budget.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:20   #19

Boat: Aloha 8.5

I'm hopefully in the last steps of buying my first boat, and we're looking at similar models and price-points.

I looked at a couple of C&C MkII 29's, and a couple of Catalina 30's. The Catalina's seemed a little more spacious, but the C&C's always came out on top. The Cat's in this price point (that i saw) were shabby and worn out, while the C&C's seemed to hold their shine better.
KtownMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:53   #20

Boat: Catalina 34

What would be the equivalent cars for the Catalina 30 and the C&C 29-2? I am assuming it's something like Cat=Subaru Outback, C&C=mitsubishi outlander. I assume, both being in equivalent conditions, C&C having a Yanmar and Catalina having a Universal diesel, the Catalina would retain the value a bit more and it would be easier to sell later on.
Am I correct here?

I came across these 2 Catalina 30s. Would you please give me your thoughts?

1) 1985 $10k https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/85310
2) 1983 $15k https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/85505

#1 has a bowsprit - what are the advantages/disadvantages of a rigging with/without a bowsprit? #2 is 2 years older but more expensive...?

Thank you so much! You have all been so helpful!! Please continue
GusC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 14:15   #21

Boat: Tartan 3800

Re the two Catalinas: They're similar boats in similar condition at the same yard

If I were serious about buying I would look at them both before making an offer on either.

The version with the bowsprit has a larger sail area and would therefore be somewhat faster in light winds where drive is limiting. There were also various mast heights.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/catalina-30-wbowsprit

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/catalina-30

Racing handicaps show that the speed difference is very slight in practice

PHRF New England - Handicapping - Base Handicaps

- only a 12 point PHRF difference.

Quote:
What would be the equivalent cars for the Catalina 30 and the C&C 29-2? I am assuming it's something like Cat=Subaru Outback, C&C=mitsubishi outlander. I assume, both being in equivalent conditions, C&C having a Yanmar and Catalina having a Universal diesel, the Catalina would retain the value a bit more and it would be easier to sell later on.
Am I correct here?

The Catalina is a foot wider abeam which is a significant difference. It will be quite a bit roomier at the expense of handling and performance.

They're both old diesels that are unlikely to be economically repairable if there is anything seriously wrong. What matters is the condition that they are in now, not what brand they are.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 22:46   #22

Boat: Catalina 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Re the two Catalinas: They're similar boats in similar condition at the same yard

If I were serious about buying I would look at them both before making an offer on either.

The version with the bowsprit has a larger sail area and would therefore be somewhat faster in light winds where drive is limiting. There were also various mast heights.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/catalina-30-wbowsprit

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/catalina-30

Racing handicaps show that the speed difference is very slight in practice

PHRF New England - Handicapping - Base Handicaps

- only a 12 point PHRF difference.

The Catalina is a foot wider abeam which is a significant difference. It will be quite a bit roomier at the expense of handling and performance.

They're both old diesels that are unlikely to be economically repairable if there is anything seriously wrong. What matters is the condition that they are in now, not what brand they are.

Thanks a lot for the reply. I
They are both at the same place, so I am planning on climbing aboard both to check them out ASAP.

I came across a 1980 Ericson 30 Plus, which is very similar to the Cat30, apparently. Does anyone know how these boats compare with Catalina 30s in sailing, handling, ease of single handing, and market holding to market value/being sought-after?

Thanks
GusC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, lease