Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2009, 13:49   #61
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Ah, okay, when I spoke of hydraulic power pack for the AP I meant below deck hydraulic ram attached between hull and quadrant with 1/16 to 1/8 hp motor turning the pump.

Any tiller or wheel pilot lacks the power and longevity to be helpful in bad conditions. The time it takes the pilot to turn the rudder from one extreme position to the other is also very important. From memory I say ours takes 6 seconds and I believe the recommended value is 8-10 seconds or so. When this is too slow, the steering corrections come too late so that it looks like over correcting. In reality the correction was good but it took too long to move the rudder in position so the steering is lagging and actually making it worse.
This is only with the waves on the aft quarter.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 00:19   #62

Boat: Gib sea 43
Re: Planning a Three-Year Circumnav

Get the largest newest boat you can afford,for 3 years its not worth buying watermakers, generators, washing machines or other luxuries, pay as you go is cheaper, maybe after 5 years the tides change on those items and you have less things to fix!

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote