Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2017, 12:01   #1

Boat: Endurance 35,1981
Placement of Anchor Chain

Hi Guys,

I'm in the middle of refitting an Endurance 35 Ketch the new marine ply has been fitted to the deck along with Fiberglass.

The original windless & chain was feed from the bow roller threw a windlass down threw a pipe in between the " V " berth below the water line (see picture) original set up. About 2 meters aft of the bow.

Attachment 140938

A friend suggested that I should place the anchor locker more forward and not have it so far aft, ( like modern anchor lockers ) if I put it more forward it's obviously above the water line and the weight is not nearer to the keel

Attachment 140941

Above picture shows where the windless will sit in between the two new doors.

The below picture shows the position of the new bow spirt and where the chain will drop into.

My question to the readers is, will it make any difference where I place the windless, leave it the way it was under the "V" berth or move it more forward ?

Looking forward to the answers
Madrugada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 13:28   #2

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Re: Placement of Anchor Chain

I'm not understanding your question. Are you trying to determine the placement of the chain locker or the windlass? If the position of the hawse pipe is already determined the windlass must be placed over it so the chain drops off the gypsy directly down the hawse pipe. If you still have choices for all parts it is advantageous to have the chain farther back from the bow to allow more room in the chain locker and for better balance of weight. Of course there are other considerations like whether the chain then drops through your forward berth.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 16:21   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

If I had my choice, I'd move the windlass aft to the mast and drop the chain into the bilge at the mast base.

However with your current setup you'll need to decide if weight placement is more important or having an uninterrupted expanse of v berth is.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 16:34   #4

The more you keep it out of the bow, the less hobby horsing you may experience. But it's not huge. DO what works well and have:
-plenty of height where the chain stacks up
-no angled hawse pipes the chain has to drop through.
-a location where you can see the anchor coming up is highly advantageous.

2 meters aft of the bow is far better than most boats are. I'd leave it.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 00:06   #5

Hi

I think if I move it forward I'll have to check if there enough depth in the chain locker to take all the chain, also I'll have to extend the cables for the windless to reach,

If I leave it as it was I don't have to do any of that !!!

I'm thinking of just leaving as is, and have the forward chain locker for another chain an anchor as back up.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:48   #6
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

The weight of the chain is always better aft. Other considerations may vary but chain weight is a significant factor to consider.

I would leave it where it is.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 03:18   #7

Hi Wotname,

That's what I'm thinking, better to have all the weight near to the center of gravity
Old 10-02-2017, 08:24   #8

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

Weight placement is certainly a factor on a 35' boat but my first consideration (were I you) would be accessibility. Chain piles up in the locker as you're retrieving it and this pile tips over and makes letting it back out difficult. Being able to readily access the chain locker without tearing up your V-berth cushions and bedding is a real plus mainly because when you most often need to get at your jammed up chain is when the anchor is half down and you're drifting down on the fleet. The easier it is to access this locker the more likely you'll have someone up in the forepeak spreading out the pile as it comes in.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:41   #9

Boat: 1988 Wilbur 34

My humble opinion: Do not move the chain nor the windlass forward. Aft is better. Deeper in the vessel is better.
Seighlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:47   #10

your friend is totally wrong it should be in the mid body above the keel and as low as possible in the bilge
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:16   #11

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.

I would hope your boat designer would know his business and take all that into consideration. IMHO I would leave it alone unless you really are having some sort of problems with it. Spend your time on the other items on your list as I am sure there are a few more.
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:35   #12

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrugada View Post
Hi

I'm thinking of just leaving as is, and have the forward chain locker for another chain an anchor as back up.
My 2 cents: Isn't that sorta defeating the whole purpose of getting weight out of the ends? Leave it where it is, and store light things like fenders up forward.
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:56   #13

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

The further back the better, on a delivery from Tahiti to New Zealand non stop, a beat most of the way on a CT 41, i flaked the chain down on the main cabin sole[on a heavy canvas], the weight having been moved back, made all the difference, no hobby horsing.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:59   #14

Boat: Islander 36

Move your friend, not your chain.

Be careful about what input you choose to accept. It's all about opinion.

My favorite quote.
Andy Rooney

Some people are not entitled to their own opinion. They don't know what they're talking about.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:40   #15

Hi Guys....

Thanks for your replies, it looks like the majority of the community is saying " Leave as is " lower to the keel the better.

A lot of my sailing will be solo so having to spread out the pile of chain in the forward locker while it comes in won't be an option, the windless is remote from the cockpit so it helps

Tags
anchor, men