Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2011, 07:36   #91

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Pilothouses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Alchemy, the problem with standard pedestal seats is the height that is required for visibility from the helm station on many pilothouse boats. Most pedestals are just not high enough - nor are they engineered to be that high. I had not installed one on my Cartwright 36 pilothouse when I sold it, but was going to install a custom S/S swivel-out stool (much like those used in some nav stations), with a threaded seat post (to permit rasing and lowering). Fold out, or fixed foot rests could be installed on the bulkhead below the wheel and swivel mount.

This type of seat will clear up space when not in use (and lets face it, most of the time on long passages you will be on autopilot). Another alternative is to have a custom post made of thicker section, wider diameter S/S and a custom recessed (and threaded) mounting bracket for the pilothouse sole. I once had a welding shop custom fabricate one for a single pedestal mount table for my Bayfield 32 C and it wasn't too expensive. Of course the problem with this arrangement is that in many pilothouses, the post/pedestal will have to be mounted on the opening hatch for access to the diesel.

If you really want a chair for comfort, then you could have the same type of pedestal custom made, purchase a seat and weld on a top plate that matches the bolt pattern of the seat mount/slide. Getting the seat to be able to rise enough for your mate will be the most difficult part with this arrangement, I'm afraid.

Brad
Brad, thanks for your very good ideas. I had considered a "swing-out" seat, maybe with a short "kidney" level back that folded down, but really, just a place to brace your backside would do. The threaded or hydraulic post OFFSET to keep the foot area obstacle free is the missing piece of the puzzle...in fact, I could bury that bit in a locker, but properly bolted in.

I am lucky to have the engine bay access off to port (actually, it's on the centerline and the helm is offset to well starboard), so trying to have a heavy seatpost and seat on the engine hatches isn't an issue, nor is access to do this work.

Thanks for giving me ideas I can use!
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 07:38   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
ha ha! my last 3 boats have pilot houses, was trying to suggest seating arrangements to the prev poster,unfortunately couldnt find a photo.

steering from inside is allways a bit of a compromise,easpecilly when parking the boat.
That's why I need a second engine/gear lever at the outside sailing helm...docking portside feels like Ray Charles's driving test...
Old 27-05-2011, 08:02   #93
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

anjou - are you finally aboard now? see u made a bed and drawers
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 08:15   #94

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

My mid-berth is like a cave. My aft cabin is like a closet with a hole in the roof, but my pilothouse is like a sunny breakfast nook. You just want to be there. You can see all around and be in shade or out of the rain. It does get hot in there however. We need some curtains and a boom tent and as soon as I find a nice used sailrite sewing machine at a fair price I'll get on that.
In fact, we don't say "go down below" we say "go inside". I never thought about that until just now.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 09:55   #95
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
ha ha! my last 3 boats have pilot houses, was trying to suggest seating arrangements to the prev poster,unfortunately couldnt find a photo.

steering from inside is allways a bit of a compromise,easpecilly when parking the boat.
I had to think about that and then realized that a smaller PH might only have the one steering station. I could not dock from my PH steering station! For one thng it's three steps down from the cockpit so I'd kill myself trying to tie up before terrible things happened!

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 10:35   #96
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannalivaboard View Post
Does anybody have an opinion on the Pacific Seacraft 32PH. I like a pilot house but believe small is better in boats.

Gretchen and I chartered a 32 PH back in 2006 or 2007. It was a nice boat, and except for a few nits about the way they used space on on the inside steering station (Starboard) side, I liked it. The boat is narrow, so don't expect a ton of space - our Westerly (for sale) has much more room. But of course, it does not have 90 gallons of fuel capacity or an inside station either.

I would rate it an ok sailor. We had wind the whole time, so I cannot comment of how it does in light air. The furing main worked well.

We had a cable break on the outside steering, We tacked, and then jibed right around. Having that inside station was nice then, as they are independent, and so there was only a second or two for Gretchen to say, "I wonder if the inside station works", till she grabbed it and took control of the boat.
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 22:46   #97

We own a Vancouver 32 pilot house and live on the coast of B.C. Sail year round down to Vancouver and across the Georgia Strait in all kinds of weather. Never to warm in the summer as 7 screened windows and 3 screened hatches keep the air flowing.Very cozy in the damp and cool weather. It is bright, roomy and comfortable. Great for kids as they draw ,read and play without being"down below" Never any queazyness. At anchorage we have the best seat in the house. This is more than a cruiser, its a practical vehicle that is efficient and effective from getting from A to B.
reelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 05:35   #98

Boat: Colvic Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob perry View Post
I like a well proportioned pilot house. The problem is that on most boats uder 40' they can look a bit awkward.
Who said they look a bit awkward under 40' My little girl is just 24' !!

In the UK we call them Motor sailors, many are dual controlled, wheel for when under engine power, Tiller for when under sailing only.

Archivist for the Colvic Watson Owners Group
Tynesider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 06:25   #99

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
anjou - are you finally aboard now? see u made a bed and drawers
Hi Salty
Yes its been 7 weeks so far and loving every moment. The environment is idealy suited to me. Just the right shape and size with loads of space for all the stuff I dont have and a good all round view both down below and in the wheelhouse.
Best of all I love feeling so close to the elements, especially yeaterday when it rained hard all day. I heard every splash and drop.
Old 13-06-2011, 06:45   #100
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
Hi Salty
Yes its been 7 weeks so far and loving every moment. The environment is idealy suited to me. Just the right shape and size with loads of space for all the stuff I dont have and a good all round view both down below and in the wheelhouse.
Best of all I love feeling so close to the elements, especially yeaterday when it rained hard all day. I heard every splash and drop.
beautiful work, anjou!!!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 06:54   #101

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser

Thanks Zee, just wish it had sails and a shipshape hull, but I couldnt afford it so dont go there.
Old 13-06-2011, 07:29   #102
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
Thanks Zee, just wish it had sails and a shipshape hull, but I couldnt afford it so dont go there.
nothing wrong with power....lol.... and i wish i had sails and a shipshape hull..LOL>...i just get to do more work in more exotic locales..LOL... ye can always come for a visit if ye get the white sheet blues....or in winter whenye are iced in....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 09:00   #103
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

I think its beautiful anjou! All that work is a wonderful reflection of you. Very cozy. And nothing wrong with power.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 20:38   #104
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
On the topic of pilothouses, I have yet to install a helm seat at the pilothouse helm station. Any recommendations? I am aware I might have to pop for a seat that can heel, and there is a one-foot height difference between myself and my wife.

I would prefer simple and not those gigantic ones used in trawlers. If I need a headrest, I should get out the drogues.
Has anyone found a helm seat that gimbals/heels? I've been searching for one and had come to the conclusion that I needed to build a custom gimbal mount to go between the seat and the pedestal when I saw this post. Anyone ever seen such an animal? There was one posted here about a month ago but someone else snapped it up and the company was defunct, that trail was cold. I spent an hour going over the giant binder full of catalogs at fisheries the other day and couldn't find one. Sure would be nice...

Freshly posted gallery of pics of my new pilothouse boat.

Wbird On The Hard - Cruisers & Sailing Photo Gallery

Looking for helm seats for that one.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 21:02   #105

I've seen helm seats that cost two grand, look like they came off a space ship and go into the Alaska trawler type of boat, but nothing that would easily go into my pilothouse.

I need up and down, in and out for the height difference between my wife and I (and my son for the time being) and gimballing would be a bonus, even of the "tilt and lock" type as of course boats tend to heel a predictable number of degrees in fair sailing.