Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2016, 08:19   #496

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Pilothouse Variations -- Boreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
. . . and with a presumption of a win in lottery which by the way is impossible becouse I don't do lotto. . .

"There was once a Jew named Itzik. He was a devout Jew who observed the 613 commandments. He attended shul devotedly and served on the committee that ran it. Itzik performed mitzvahs to help the poor and the sick. He donated to create dowries for poor brides. He was a mensch in every respect.

"But Itzik was a relatively poor man and his capacity to do good was severely limited by his lack of wealth. So he began to think: “Wouldn’t it be wonderful if I would win the lottery! Just think of all the good deeds I could perform! I could replace the shul’s leaking roof, feed the sick and hungry, provide wedding feasts for poor newlyweds.”

"So Itzik began perusing the newspaper each week to discover his name among the lucky winners. He didn’t win the first week. So he said to himself: “God didn’t want me to win this week. But for sure he understands the great good I can do with my winnings and he’ll make me a winner next week.” When next week’s winners were announced, he again was not among them. This time he addressed God directly: “Lord, please remember how my entire life is devoted to You and to doing good for my fellow man. Please heed my call and make me a winner.” When next week’s winners were announced again he wasn’t among them. This time Itzik was bereft and addressed God again: “Lord, I don’t understand why you haven’t answered my prayer. Don’t you understand how much good I can if you make me a winner? What on earth can I have done wrong to again be a loser?”

"A booming voice from heaven replied
: “Itzik, BUY A TICKET”

Old Russian joke

Sorry, a little off topic
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:05   #497

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Looks nice but I think 150 sqm of sail area and 46 tons are in disagreement unless its a heavy motorsailer...
Motorsailer naturally thou sail area a bit undefined not knowing the RM nor going to calculate it.. For me a pipe berth in the pilothouse so the bedroom is for lady quests only. Lads can lay their hammocks in the workshop but then the watertight door stays locked
TeddyDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:08   #498

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Ohhh LoL!!!
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:23   #499

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Along these resent topics, in this thread, single handed monohull and a couple of others, I've been mind gaming what my perfect cruiser would be like. Just for fun and with a presumption of a win in lottery which by the way is impossible becouse I don't do lotto. Anyway, made a sketch of the thoughts while watching my baby girl to take her day naps.

But here it is (sorry about the mix of metric/imperical, one square equals 1m)
LOA 66ft, LWL 59ft, Beam 16.5ft, Draft min 6.6ft, Disp 46 metric tons. Ketch rigged two sails on both sticks, SA~150sqm. Two daggerboards back from the screw and swing keel in and out from the longkeel. 6 cylinder diesel with CPP propeller.
From the stern: dinghy bay and storage. On port pantry and galley, stb head, sauna and dinette (with room for guests). Above the center cockpit and infront of it a pilothouse. Below the engine room. The bedroom, a head on stb. Workshop 'til the collision bulkhead.

Hey, that's my hull.... but a lot longer. You can see the daggerboard and centerboard slots in this line drawing, but this doesn't show the pilothouse:

Click image for larger version

Name:	trisalu37b.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	125715

Matt
Old 07-06-2016, 10:54   #500

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
..I think 150 sqm of sail area and 46 tons are in disagreement unless its a heavy motorsailer...
There' s another way to look at the sail area. It's about the same 150sqm as Beneteau Sense 55 with as much wetted surface so light wind drag is about the same. Wave drag kicks in later than with Bene so a triangle race wouldn't be with a wide gap.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:56   #501

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Hey, that's my hull.... but a lot longer. You can see the daggerboard and centerboard slots in this line drawing, but this doesn't show the pilothouse:

Attachment 125715

Matt
Nice
Old 11-06-2016, 10:57   #502

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

DH

If your custom cockpit is unusually low-centered, you can afford having a standing position at helm in a close-up room, with a normal windage and pilot house shape.

Moving on deck would mean say 4 more steps upwards. Weird, but works!
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 06:52   #503

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Can anyone explain the logic in this setup? It an 'X Yachts of Denmark' or so it says on the side.
Stuck out the back like Jackie.... bugger all visibility ahead ( bugger all visibility from inside either )..... weird.... and yes...its also 'open transom'...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P6120465.jpg
Views:	555
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	126087   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6120464.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	126088  

Old 13-06-2016, 07:01   #504

Boat: Westerly Sealord

And also... on the X Yacht... nowhere for the helmsman to sit.

This 57 foot Benny on the other hand did have the two wheels enclosed and all the instruments were down the back with them.

Which was a shame as to see where you were going you had to sit at the front of the cockpit.

The frd 'clears' were only a few weeks old. The two year old side curtains were already degraded to such a degree that visibility anywhere but right ahead was severely compromised.... especially at night.

Call me old fashioned but I like to be able to see where I am going .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P5270353.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	126089  
Old 13-06-2016, 07:12   #505

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Can anyone explain the logic in this setup? It an 'X Yachts of Denmark' or so it says on the side.
Stuck out the back like Jackie.... bugger all visibility ahead ( bugger all visibility from inside either )..... weird.... and yes...its also 'open transom'...
It's probably for dining/drinking in the cockpit in cold/wet weather at anchor or in the marina. Also it looks like it can be sailed like that. Given the location of the mainsheet, they have no option to do a full cockpit enclosure.
Old 13-06-2016, 07:59   #506

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
It's probably for dining/drinking in the cockpit in cold/wet weather at anchor or in the marina. Also it looks like it can be sailed like that. Given the location of the mainsheet, they have no option to do a full cockpit enclosure.
Exactly. That's a fair weather boat, with no provision for managing the boat in inclement weather. The cockpit enclosure is for the marina.

No place to sit at the helm, on the other hand, is no problem, in my book. If I'm sitting, I don't need the wheel, which is used only in harbor maneuvers and fine sail trimming upwind.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 13-06-2016, 08:26   #507

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Exactly. That's a fair weather boat, with no provision for managing the boat in inclement weather. The cockpit enclosure is for the marina.

No place to sit at the helm, on the other hand, is no problem, in my book. If I'm sitting, I don't need the wheel, which is used only in harbor maneuvers and fine sail trimming upwind.
I would hazard a guess that no place for the helmsman to sit, is their racing configuration. Appears from their website, X Yachts, that they produce a racing line of boats and a cruising line.. Never having had any interest in racing I can see it would make sense. Would be awful for cruising.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 08:36   #508

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I would hazard a guess that no place for the helmsman to sit, is their racing configuration. Appears from their website, X Yachts, that they produce a racing line of boats and a cruising line.. Never having had any interest in racing I can see it would make sense. Would be awful for cruising.
Wouldn't bother me. How much time do you spend at the wheel? I never use my wheel from a seated position; I can't see anything from there. I even stand on the cockpit seats, often times, in order to be able to see, when I'm hand steering.

The lack of any decent shelter, open transom, no good place to brace yourself or hold on -- now that's a different matter.
Walt Whitman
Old 13-06-2016, 08:48   #509

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Out of curiosity! What are the spools of line in the pic to the left?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 09:55   #510

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Out of curiosity! What are the spools of line in the pic to the left?
I'd assume they're shore-tie lines for a bow/stern arrangement using a bow anchor and stern tying to trees, rocks, etc. My very limited experience in Sweden was that a lot of local boats did it the opposite way - stern anchored and tied the bow off to shore, to keep the rudder away from the rocks I guess.
gjorgensen is offline   Reply With Quote