Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2015, 09:29   #31

Boat: Taswell 49 Cutter
Re: Pilothouse Boats -- Again

Taswell 58 AS (all season)-

1997 Taswell 58 All Season Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Too much boat for an older couple like us..I'm finding a 49 foot long 15 foot beam to be plenty enough to be responsible for (operations / maint/ docking and the like ). Good, but wish were were 15 years younger ! Those were the days.
Ericson38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 10:25   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
This is my dreamboat.

46RK | Seaward Yachts
LOLOL

All I can think is "yet another suite of Kevlar sails at $50K"........
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 10:42   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Nordhavn 63?

Be careful of a pilothouse and salon together if you plan on making overnight passages. You need to keep the pilothouse dark at night. Any light people have on will partially or fully blind you. I was just reading a blog of someone who had switched to a Nordhavn because their previous boat had combined wheelhouse and salon. Edit: I forget the name but they posted on here about removing all Simrad electronics.

Having said the above check out the Garcia Exploration 52. At least they have the forward facing windows right for night piloting inside. Still a hassle with people cooking or reading in the same space at night.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 10:58   #34

Boat: Skookum 53'

I know, I must sound like a broken record by now but, Dock Street Brokers ::

If you look up Skookum on Yachtworld there are several different ones for sale, while this one is set up for commercial fishing there are some out there that are yacht configured too. You wouldn't like mine due to where the main salon should be there is a 20,000 lb freezer hold. Still in all, the pilot house/galley/salon is roomy enough for 4 people and the Master's cabin is really nice. Crew's quarters leave something to be desired, but hey it's a fishing boat. The flogging will not stop until there is an upgrade in moral!
Old 21-02-2015, 11:06   #35

Here is a non-fishing version, looks quite nice, and a good price. Don't care for the teak decks though. By the way I have no affiliation or interest, other than I feel they are a great boat for the money. 1979 Skookum Cutter Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 21-02-2015, 11:07   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Looking at boats is always fun.

A few questions answered in the beginning will help narrow a search quickly:

1. What range of "asking prices" is one seriously considering? (The Budget)

2. Does one want only a new boat? Or, will a used boat satisfy? (The Age: New or Used)

3. Is one open to the hull material used, or does one have a preference or requirement?
(The Hull Material)

(Aluminum, Fiberglass, Steel, Wood, Composite)

4. Are "homebuilts" out of the question? (The Builder)
Some pilothouse boats are made by famous yards, some are made in someone's back yard. Is one open to either or only to famous brands?

Size alone (LOA) is not enough to know, in my opinion, because I have come across relatively large boats (over 40 feet LOA) that are made of Steel, Fiberglass, Aluminum, Wood, Composite (cold-moulded), and Ferro-Cement.

And I have come across some relatively large boats that are "home-built" (often a Bruce Roberts design) and others that are made by professional boat yards.
Well, I'm not really in the market. So this is just hypothetical dreaming so far. I love my present boat, and trying to get her in Bristol order (hah! just trying to keep her from deteriorating) is a seemingly life-long pursuit.

However, many real things start out with hypothetical dreaming, so you never know, do you.

But to answer your questions:

1. Up to about two million euros, although obviously less is better.

2. I am agnostic. I've never owned a new boat (or even a new car, with only one exception, a 1989 BMW 325i ).

3. Prefer plastic, but metal might be ok.

4. Definitely.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 11:11   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
Here is a non-fishing version, looks quite nice, and a good price. Don't care for the teak decks though. By the way I have no affiliation or interest, other than I feel they are a great boat for the money. 1979 Skookum Cutter Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Lovely, but I don't want a full keel. I want a fast, modern underbody, and probably something a good bit newer than that.
Old 21-02-2015, 11:13   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Nordhavn 63?

Be careful of a pilothouse and salon together if you plan on making overnight passages. You need to keep the pilothouse dark at night. Any light people have on will partially or fully blind you. I was just reading a blog of someone who had switched to a Nordhavn because their previous boat had combined wheelhouse and salon. Edit: I forget the name but they posted on here about removing all Simrad electronics.

Having said the above check out the Garcia Exploration 52. At least they have the forward facing windows right for night piloting inside. Still a hassle with people cooking or reading in the same space at night.
Yes, that's a good point! Thanks!

The guy you're thinking of is Twisted Tree (Tanglewood).
Old 21-02-2015, 11:25   #39
cruiser

Nordhavn motorsailor. 50k for news sails on the Moody can also buy a lot of diesel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nordhavn.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	97640  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 11:26   #40

Roger on that! Parameter noted. Sorry I am stuck in the past and am nostalgic for this particular brand. As far as the underbody goes, this Ed Monk Sr. design is surprisingly efficient through the water, but understood, you want new and shiny.
Old 21-02-2015, 11:31   #41

Boat: Comet 41s

There are two types of boats that have what you want: Kind of exploration boats like Garcia that after the 45 are making bigger an better looking boats, there are on the market similar boats made by Comet and Futuna and the other type, more luxurious blue water cruisers like the Moody 54DS, Southerly 535 the 57RS, Nordship 430DS (they make bigger by command), Regina 49 and the faster and more sportive CR 480DS. You have also the next Wauquiez 65 DS. I am not sure about being a true pilot saloon but on that price range they will make what you want.

Off course there is the fastest of them all, the all carbon Shipman, unfortunately they now only make true deck saloons on really big yachts but I remember that older smaller yacht had a true deck saloon even if the 63 only has a raised chart table and a semi raised deck saloon, but maybe that is enough.

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 11:39   #42

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Here you go! Breckemeyer design with ketch rig option. Modern and fast design with waterproof bulkheads fore and aft.

Berckemeyer Yacht Design | plans for modern and classic sailing yachts

Matt
Old 21-02-2015, 11:44   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Nordhavn motorsailor. 50k for news sails on the Moody can also buy a lot of diesel.
Ick!

Not my cup of tea!
Old 21-02-2015, 11:50   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
There are two types of boats that have what you want: Kind of exploration boats like Garcia that after the 45 are making bigger an better looking boats, there are on the market similar boats made by Comet and Futuna and the other type, more luxurious blue water cruisers like the Moody 54DS, Southerly 535 the 57RS, Nordship 430DS (they make bigger by command), Regina 49 and the faster and more sportive CR 480DS. You have also the next Wauquiez 65 DS. I am not sure about being a true pilot saloon but on that price range they will make what you want.

Off course there is the fastest of them all, the all carbon Shipman, unfortunately they now only make true deck saloons on really big yachts but I remember that older smaller yacht had a true deck saloon even if the 63 only has a raised chart table and a semi raised deck saloon, but maybe that is enough.

The raised nav table a la Discovery is good -- and that could fulfill the inside helm purpose -- I don't need an inside wheel.

But the deck salon design with no hull ports does not satisfy -- I have a better view from my present boat.
Old 21-02-2015, 12:08   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Ick!

Not my cup of tea!
I think that is the difference. I like big old clunkers. Perhaps the non racing side of my Brit heritage

Im not keen on the Nordhaven myself BTW.

Deep down, the possibility of trying to find the upright stability, solidness and space in one of these, is the reason I fell in love with Catamarans. It comes close only it has sails.......

By the way, Billy Joel owned this for a while. Completely changed the interior to look like a piano bar. It often sailed to the Bahamas...

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote