Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2014, 19:57   #1

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC
PHRF Rating For A Cheoy Lee Pedrick 47

This ones a stretch but has anyone here ever had a Cheoy Lee Pedrick 47 PHRF rated?
I'm trying to get one on mine but have not been able to find a rating for a Pedrick 47.
Even if you know of a national database I'd appreciate the heads up.
Haven't been able to find any info online.
Of course it's like trying to race a Winnebago, but it's the boat I own at this time so you gotta run what ya got.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 21:03   #2

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: PHRF Rating For A Cheoy Lee Pedrick 47

Sorry, the closest I can get you is a Cheoy Lee Pedrick 43 here in Northern California that rates 102.

You can find the national info here:

PHRF

The database by manufacturer is here, but doesn't have any Cheoy Lees. Might give you a few places to start your search:

http://offshore.ussailing.org/Assets...er+19+2011.pdf
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 02:43   #3

Who ever got that rating in N Calif must know how to sail because that suggests that the CL is reasonably quick for a cruiser.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 05:17   #4

Yeah, 102 seems like a pretty low rating for a cruiser, guess it depends on how it's set up. My ex-boat, a C&C 38 with a custom keel had a 114 base rating and closer to 138 with cruising canvas and a fixed blade prop. Even so, it sailed well in light and heavy air as long as you got the setup right.
My attempts to find any PHRF ratings online have not panned out so far, I've seen Offshore 47's but no Pedricks. It's not like I'm looking to race it in the Wednesday night yacht club beercan racing, the airs too light in the summer to do that, but some of the long distance offshore races might be suited to this boat. Longer runs with fewer tacks, it doesn't accelerate out of a tack too quickly, it has a more "stately" pace. Wonder if it will accelerate faster if I turn off the icemaker.......
Old 31-03-2014, 10:53   #5

I had a Tartan 44 many years ago and it rated 99 which is very close to this rating. Catalina 42 rates around 100 and the old bench mark Cal 40 rates 114. I did look up the LP Cheoy Lee and it was 108 so maybe these boats truck along pretty good. I expect your going to have to have a good crew aboard to race the boat well. Good luck, you'll have nothing but fun! and pray for a good strong breeze.
Old 31-03-2014, 13:23   #6

Thanks for the replies.
I'm not sure how this will rate, my C&C weighed 16,000 lbs on the scale with gear,water and fuel onboard (14,700 on manfacturer spec). The people at PHRF-NB never rated one before so they'll figure it out once they get there
The Cheoy Lee weighed 40,000 lbs with water and 20% of it's fuel aboard (36,000 on manufacturer spec).
I'm going to have to wish for heavy wind and not too many tacks, she's a little slow off the tack but once she gets going.......
Old 31-03-2014, 19:40   #7

Boat: Swan 432

I found one for a Cheoy Lee Offshore 47 KTH, it rated 132.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:13   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe68 View Post
I found one for a Cheoy Lee Offshore 47 KTH, it rated 132.
Thanks for the reply but unfortunately the Offshore 47 was designed by a different naval architect, a different boat altogether. I thought that possibly one of the aft cockpit models would have been rated at one time or another but no luck, seeing a CC boat rated is rare.
I did talk to the PHRF people and am submitting an application, they will have to send it to the committee to figure out a rating.
On the flip side I get to make up my own sail number since there's never been a CL47 Pedrick rated before, so no chance of getting a duplicate number.

Just for laughs I'm going to see if anyone has rated an Oyster 62 or Hylas 49, it would be entertaining to see if anyone races luxo-barges.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:03   #9

OK, I received my PHRF for the Cheoy Lee Pedrick 47 CC.
It rates at a 145 spinnaker and 166 in non-spinnaker, not exactly a rocket, but then again, I didn't expect it to be one, still not bad for a luxo barge, only 30 seconds a mile slower than my old 38 C&C when rated for cruising sails.
Looks like I'm not going to win any light air races but I'll sure be more comfortable when the breeze pipes up.
Better find a good trimmer and buy a really BIG spinnaker.
At least my beer will be cold at the finish, I'm not shutting off the ice maker.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:51   #10

Party boat after the race ends, have fun!
Old 02-05-2014, 13:18   #11

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Hey, I never heard anyone gripe about a bad (high) rating before! It actually sounds a bit pessimistic to me... I reckon that, especially in a bit of wind, you might correct out very well indeed. You have a lot of LWL to play with for that rating. Give it a go and let us know how you do.

Good sailing,

Jim
Old 02-05-2014, 13:37   #12

I figure once the wind hits 30+ knots I'll clean up.
Like I said before, it may not accelerate out of a tack as quickly but once she gets going......
Old 02-05-2014, 15:22   #13

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeofreilly57 View Post
I figure once the wind hits 30+ knots I'll clean up.
Like I said before, it may not accelerate out of a tack as quickly but once she gets going......
Actually, I would think that any time there was enough breeze to reach hull speed (and that should be well less than 30 Kt) you would do well.

Good sailing,

Jim
Old 04-05-2014, 06:41   #14

All joking aside, it was hard to judge the boats performance based on our short time with it. We basically sailed it back from Maine last year and pulled it out of the water, the previous owner had paperwork issues that held up the closing until October.
When we picked it up the boat basically had a marine sanctuary attached to the hull, kind of like sailing with a 70's shag rub glued to the hull, the boys at the boatyard had quite a chuckle.Sluggish would best describe the performance in that state of repair.
This year we'll go in with a clean hull and fresh coat of bottom paint. ALthough the main sail is basically a rag the headsail is decent, should be fun figuring out this new boat. In general I would guess that the PHRF would be average for a boat of this type of hull, hope it helps other potential buyers looking at similar hulls get an idea of the speed potential. Modified full keel/ conservative fin keel with a skeg hung rudder, 36000lb displacement (40,000 lbs on the scale), not a racer but not bad either.
Cheers
PS, in the water soon, we'll see how she flies.
Happy sailing.

Tags
cheoy lee