Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2020, 09:40   #1

Boat: Marcon Sabre 27'
Perry 47, 1977 - what to look for

I'm assisting a friend to look at a Perry 47, built in Taiwan, with teak overlay on the decks. This is the initial visit to the boat, to see if it's worth going to haul out and survey. Price is low. Owner has health and mobility issues, wants to move on. Owner doesn't know much about boats.

First question is: What kind of plywood is under the teak on the decks? I've seen a lot of rotten plywood under the teak on Taiwan trawler yachts, like Universal. On the other hand, Bob Perry has the reputation of close supervision, and better quality of construction on his boats built off shore. 1977 - over 40 years old. There's a survey from 2018 that says deck sounded and no problems found.

If there's someone familiar with these boats (Bob?) can you tell me if there's anywhere where the under side of the deck can be seen from inside the boat?

Owner has just been living aboard, not sailing, or running the engine (4cyl Lehman) for a few years. He says the raw water engine through hull valve is stuck. Is this a ball valve, or a cone type? (cone has a nut on the end opposite the lever, so it can be loosened easily. Ball not so easy.)

Any other places to look for soft wood? Are the deck houses glass over plywood? What kind of plywood?
Thanks in advance for any information or advice.
gulfislandfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 09:50   #2

Re: Perry 47, 1977 - what to look for

What maker? is important. I had a Perry Passport 47 I think Ta Shing built, which is about as good as it gets. Decks were built with ply squares (3"?) each square isolated from the next, to avoid water intrusion. But Ta Chaio and others built Perry designs also. Ta Chaio not bad built, but rougher than Ta Shing for sure.
Most of those Taiwan boats are tapered sea cock and are good, readily cleaned up. But you never know... again what builder? It will often say on the paperwork.
Most boats built in the late 70's-80's were molded and not glass over ply like the old Formosa types. I can't recall if I have ever seen a Perry one without molds... but they stole designers molds over there so....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 09:56   #3

It appears it may be this one? Center cockpit? Built by Universal Marine. Not heard of them: The hull on this boat almost looks identical to my Passport 47.
https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/perry-47

https://sailboat.guide/perry-47

also past CF thread:
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...-a-166814.html

Old 25-11-2020, 10:01   #4

Yes, that's the boat. Universal Marine is a Taiwan builder, who built Universal trawler yachts. I have heard that they used smaller contractors to do woodwork and other jobs on their motor boats.
Bob Perry had some of his boats built in Taiwan, apparently some by Universal. The Perry boats have a better reputation for quality of construction and materials than the Universal motor boats.
Old 25-11-2020, 10:16   #5

And another old thread: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...47-a-6093.html
For build info etc, you might look at a Trawler Forum and ask about Universal.

Old 25-11-2020, 10:55   #6

I know about what to look for on a Universal trawler. The plywood they used under the teak wasn't very good.

I'm trying to find out if the Perry 47 had a better grade of plywood than Universal used on their motor boats.
Also, any feedback from Perry 47 owners about spots that leak, weak points, etc.
Old 25-11-2020, 11:01   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfislandfred View Post
I know about what to look for on a Universal trawler. The plywood they used under the teak wasn't very good.

I'm trying to find out if the Perry 47 had a better grade of plywood than Universal used on their motor boats.
Also, any feedback from Perry 47 owners about spots that leak, weak points, etc.
Yeah, as I said, is it a mold or layup over ply? The pics sure look like a molded deck to me. Too many curved surfaces for a ply cabin. A molded deck will have glass inside and out. It will be obvious it isnt a thin layer of boat cloth over ply. it will ring when tapped etc.

Old 25-11-2020, 11:22   #8

This one is built by Universal Marine, I think. Glass hull. Maybe glass over ply cabins and teak over glass over ply decks. Problems with the glass over ply cabins should be not too hard to spot, but what's hiding under those teak decks?
Old 25-11-2020, 19:07   #9

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

You know I bet the person to ask would be, well bob perry.
Old 25-11-2020, 21:28   #10

I know Bob follows this forum sometimes. I had hoped he might answer the question about what kind of plywood is under that teak.
Guess I could call him.
Old 25-11-2020, 22:35   #11

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

I think he spends far more time on SA than here.
So yes call him be prepared to pay for his service
Old 26-11-2020, 11:14   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
You know I bet the person to ask would be, well bob perry.
Bob seems to be a very amiable individual and a straight shooter.
Cadence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 11:24   #13

Some of the places over there used Bob's name and design with no commissions to Bob. So he may or may not give you info without a consult fee. And I don't blame him. I had a consult with him years ago and it was a good session, good whiskey too!

Old 26-11-2020, 15:44   #14

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

Verry interesting I own a Cheoy Lee perry 48 cutter ,solid grp hull heavy layup internal iron ballast 1981 build never had a trace of blisters,deck is 12 mills teak over glass 6mills 19 mills hard wood a type of meranti I think set in resin with 4mills grp on the in side teak is metal threaded down I black goo ,all good to date .⛵️⚓️
Searles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 15:47   #15

Boat: Catalina 36 Mk II

I think it would be worth paying for Bob's consultation for such an important purchase with so many significant consequences down the line.