Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2020, 12:04   #16

Boat: Pearson 367
Re: pearson pilothouse

I own a variation on the 365. My keel is a foot deeper with a larger rudder but with the same hull shape. They are good sailing boats, definitely not fast but they will get you there safely. I wouldnt have a problem crossing oceans with the shallower keel of the 365. You'll just lose a little pointing sailing into the wind but that route is nearly all downwind. There are more than a couple 365s that have made it to Australia.

Things I don't like about the boat; due to the pilothouse you have very little interior space to entertain or have crew sleeping berths. You also lose your sea berths while underway. I have two settees that are 6'+ that I can switch between depending what tack I'm on. I use the vberth for storage. Sleeping in the vberth will underway is generally considered the least comfortable place to sleep.

Also the boat is overpriced. The market for these boats is 20-35k USD. The good news is that Pearsons have a reputation for being built a little better than the average production boat. They also offer a lot of value for the LOA. Hope this helps.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 13:10   #17
cruiser

Thanks Dave, Zz, Ruso..

I really apprecaite the ON topic info you shared and it helps a ton!

Thanks for taking the time.
passage_paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 18:29   #18

Boat: Pearson 367

I've seen this boat at anchor in Rio Dulce before. While it isnt a pilothouse the decks salon gives it a lot of light and a lot more usable space. Overall I'm impressed with the boat design. It's hard to get this layout in a 36ft boat. It's a Bob Perry design. Just something to think about.

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/84100
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 12:41   #19

Boat: Catalina Capri 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by passage_paul View Post
Time is ticking by fast til vacation arrives and with it that very small window of June/July to find a vessel.

I really appreciate the input on the pilothouse thread and have been scouring data to find something that will be acceptable.. not perfect..but acceptable.

I did a search of the forum for the Pearson 36 pilothouse and found a little bit of info in a slew of posts that were vague and not too helpful.

If anyone has some experience with the Pearson PH I would love to hear it.

I did see a few things about the mast corroding and such..but I am concerned about the keel...it looks pretty wimpy and I am not sure how it would do cruising across the Pacific..which is my ideal location. If not suitable to cross the Pacific would it be fine hopping the Atlantic?... crossing and cruising the Med?

I really like the layout and is perfect for me... but a strong, reliable boat takes precedence. Replaceables and repairables I will account for in any offer I make.. structural/ build concerns will be deal breakers for me.

If you wouldn't mind sharing your thoughts I would be most thankful!

yachtworld.com/boats/1980/Pearson-365-Pilothouse-3651185/

At the risk of being labeled a hijacker...
I love the pilothouse. I think you’re on the right track there. Sitting out in the rain for hours is very detrimental to me psychologically, regardless of my gear. A pilothouse lets you steer the boat from inside in the rain. Windward performance suffers, but if you’re trying to be in it for the long haul, which i believe you are, a pilothouse will, imho, keep you in there longer. There is a gulf 32 with a pilothouse in my harbor that I have strong feelings for.
Along those lines, this little number showed up in a search:

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1979...ketch-6892203/

At $20k it is out of my league for now but seems like it is worth a look, given your predilections. Also thanks for taking the time to read the ‘adventure begins’ thread. I’ve been around sailing a long time, and I have learned when things are good, they can be really good, and it’s not so hard and fun and easy. However, when things are bad they can be deadly. A fundamental lack of respect for the sea is just so prevalent, that I feel obliged to share the cautionary tale. In the few years since I was able to become a boat owner, this forum has been an invaluable resource. Where else do you have access to so much rarified knowledge? Enjoy the hunt, please keep posting, and +1 for pilothouse.
liquidice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 14:09   #20
cruiser

Ya the "adventure begins" thread was so clear from the very first post that there was trouble ahead. I think too many people watch videos and see the glamour of it all only to realize very quickly that there is a whole lot of science as to how a boat interacts with the wind and ocean.

I am thinking alot of those same folks dont even read the possible side effects of medicines and then are admitted to the hospital half dead.

I really like the Gulf PH.. I love the classic lines of them.. I dont like that they have no outside helm. I do want a bit of feel from the ride when the weather is glorious.. which is my main pursuit. I also like the lines of the Fisher. I am not a huge fan of Nauticat lines.. but I love their layout and their reputation, tho most are priced at the very top of my budget... yikes.

As I am cashing out and not having any real income to speak of afterwards I have to be super cautious.. I would rather be broke on the sea than broke on land with all the @sshats.

Thanks for sharing liquidice!
passage_paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 14:19   #21

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

If it’s a bob perry design you can always ask him about it.
Old 06-03-2020, 04:37   #22

Boat: Pearson 424

https://charleston.craigslist.org/bo...081297869.html

This one is listed in my area, not in your area of the country but you might be interested.
I have no affiliation with the owner or boat, just passing info.
Spindrift NH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pearson