Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2016, 18:46   #1

Pearson 365 Sloop vs Morgan 382

Hi all,

After selling our beloved C&C 30 this past weekend, we are currently shopping for a new boat. I'm looking very hard at a Pearson 365 sloop (not the ketch or cutter rig), and a Morgan 382. The Morgan is about double the price of the Pearson.

I'm curious about sailing characteristics. Both seem to be built like tanks, but I have yet to sail either. If anyone can tell me from actual experience how either sails, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 19:06   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Pearson 365 Sloop vs Morgan 382

Not sailed the 365 sloop but if it's the same hull as the ketch I'm guessing the Morgan will be a bit faster and point a little higher.

There are lots of Morgan 38, 382 and 384 models for sale so if you decide on the Morgan it might pay to shop around for a better deal.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 19:19   #3

Boat: Pearson 365

Hi,
I'm in my second year of ownership of a 365 Sloop with a hood in mast furler.
So far, I like the boat a lot. It sails well on all points, but is not close winded. Just returned from a ten day vacation in Maine and sailed in all kinds of conditions. The boat is great on all points exept a beat. Its not going to point high-maybe a 45 degree tacking angle with considerable leeway. Figure 50 degrees in a head sea. I definitely take a performance hit with the furling main, but have come to love and trust its simplicity and ease of reefing and stowing. That said, its a cruiser with a secure cockpit, high bulwarks and a well behaved hull form in a seaway. It does not pound. The underwater profile is a long shallow fin with a skeg hung rudder and a long exposed prop shaft. Its a pot catcher, I got hooked on a lobster pot on my first day out. The boat is not particularly tender and wants to sail on her bottom not her ear. I reef at twenty knots.

The hull seems very solid with a little minor blistering. Little exterior teak except on the bulwarks and handrails. The layup seems pretty heavy and I've seen no signs of flex at all while beating. The interior is preety well laid out, the galley is traditional, functionally and the ice box is huge. Insulation on the ice box is inadequate, so if you are planning on a reefer plan on a redesign of the chest. Fortunately, its really easy to get at.

Mine came with a Perkins 4-107. Its a great and smooth running engine, plenty of power, but they all leak oil from the rear seal. I plan on replacing the seal, though I have heard it will still leak; I just want to slow it down.
the bilge has a deep sump which is great for nuisance water.
All in all, I am very happy with my 365 and the Admiral is in love with the layout and the simplicity of the rig. She never really wanted to learn to sail my little Pearson Vanguard, but can singlehand the 365 after only a few outings. I have no doubt the 150 gallon water supply is part of the reason for her approval-coming from my forty gallons on the Vanguard it feels sinful...
Hope this helps and let me know if there is anything else your'e curious about.
jpendoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 19:40   #4

Boat: 1982 Morgan 383

Read all about the Morgan 382-3-4s at http://www.morgan38.org/morgan38/index.php. I too looked at the Pearsons but I love my Morgan as do others on that site.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 27-09-2016, 19:45   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolfP View Post
Read all about the Morgan 382-3-4s at Morgan 38 Sailboat Forum. I too looked at the Pearsons but I love my Morgan as do others on that site.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I looked at Morgans but love my Pearson BUT the Morgan 38 series are very nice boats.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 19:51   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
Hi all,

After selling our beloved C&C 30 this past weekend, we are currently shopping for a new boat. I'm looking very hard at a Pearson 365 sloop (not the ketch or cutter rig), and a Morgan 382. The Morgan is about double the price of the Pearson.

I'm curious about sailing characteristics. Both seem to be built like tanks, but I have yet to sail either. If anyone can tell me from actual experience how either sails, I'd love to hear it.

CF member DOCKHEAD wrote a very detailed outline of pros and cons based on his years of sailing a Pearson 365.

I don't have a link to comments, but you should be able to find them here:

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...365&gsc.page=1
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 20:07   #7

Boat: In Between Boats

Morgan 38's are solid and excellent sailing boats that are really nice looking. Lots of storage and great for cruising.
Hearts Content is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 20:53   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Like the interior layout of the Pearson especially the separate shower in the head. The shallow draft and short mast will limit its sailing abilities, however. Your choice if you want a better sailing boat or a better layout and then there's the price.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 05:12   #9

I've looked at both of these boats, also, though I have never sailed in either. My own impression is that the Morgan will sail better, and the Pearson will be a more comfortable cruiser. You pays your money and takes your choice.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 07:21   #10

Thanks all, especially jpendoley for the very detailed response. The boats seem very similar in a lot of ways - same motors, same vintage and build style, almost exactly the same displacement. It sounds like maybe the Pearson 365 won't point quite as high as the Morgan - but probably not by such a huge margin that it should be my deciding factor.

Rolfp - how high will your Morgan 38 point in a calm sea if you don't mind me asking?

It sounds like maybe price and layout should be my biggest deciding factors.

Thanks again for all the input.
Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 09:43   #11

Quote:
Hi all,

WE also sold our C&C 30 and moved up to a Tartan Classic 37 (Blackwatch, 1st hull with FG cabin). She is now for sale in Rockport Maine - Alida. We needed a larger boat for all our grandchildren! Alida is all set with refit including all systems and a -100hrs Yanmar. She is way beyond the Pearsons we were looking at in 2002. She is fast, comfortable and well set below. Her galley is customized and among the other upgrades is a new genoa. 603 582 1424 If you love your C&C 30 you will love Alida more. A little Sikkens on the pretty teak and you are good to circumnavigate if you like. CALL US.
19Valiant79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 17:25   #12

Boat: Pearson 365 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to roncgibson

Sorry, can't speak about the Pearson 365 Sloop. I own a 1980 Pearson 365 Ketch and would never go back to a sloop rig. Cutter Rigs IMHO are a pain in the arse and I know of several who have converted them back to sloops. I've never had any problems with pointing "Blame it on Buffett", and use a Hydrovane mostly when single handed. The Pearson 365 is built like a tank, and the 150 gals of water in 3 50 gal tanks, Port, Starboard, and under the V-Berth provide more than enough capacity for the shower (navy showers) now that water in some destinations isn't free anymore. I too had looked at the Morgan 382, but the 365 Ketch is ideal for single handed offshore sailing and allows for more sail combinations in a blow. Of course I'd lean toward the Pearson, and for the cost, a lot of electronics and extras can be added without breaking the bank if trying to do the same with the Morgan with it's initially higher cost. Cheers Ron . . .
roncgibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 09:22   #13

Quote:
Hi all,

Also, on our Tartan Classic 37' sloop, current survey is available. 603 582 1424
19Valiant79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 16:00   #14

Boat: 1982 Morgan 383

Quote:
Thanks all, especially jpendoley for the very detailed response. The boats seem very similar in a lot of ways - same motors, same vintage and build style, almost exactly the same displacement. It sounds like maybe the Pearson 365 won't point quite as high as the Morgan - but probably not by such a huge margin that it should be my deciding factor.

Rolfp - how high will your Morgan 38 point in a calm sea if you don't mind me asking?

It sounds like maybe price and layout should be my biggest deciding factors.

Thanks again for all the input.
I normally tack to 100 degrees, but in a flat flat very light wind I can do 40 degrees and better. I'm not a racer though, but when I have racers aboard they make me proud of my boat.

Some other thoughts about the Morgan: I think the 383 and 384 versions with the taller rig, larger rudder, and shorter boom (than the 382) might be a good bet. I sailed south from New York just after Jauquim (sp?) turned north. We had very large swells (15+? - never clear about wave sizes) almost directly behind us and 20+ winds just off the port quarter. I was using a below decks autopilot and found that a slight turn to port brought the slow roll we were experiencing under complete control and the three of us all felt that the boat was really taking care of us. I sailed it both inside and offshore around Florida to Pensacola with 1-2 crew all the way and I believe everyone felt the boat was a solid off-shore performer. I was never worried about its capability in any of the very varied weather we saw. Over the course of 2 months we used the separate shower, cooked many many meals, lived both below and in the cockpit comfortably. My boat has mostly original electrical and plumbing equipment (from 1982) but it was always sailed in fresh water. I would look carefully at any boat 20-30 years old for expected costs of upgrades, repairs, and maintenance.

Regardless, (and I still really like the look of the Pearsons) I think that the modified fin keel and sked hung rudder of both the Morgan and Pearson are essential to off-shore safety.

Tags
morgan, pearson, pearson 365, sloop