Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2014, 08:40   #1

Pearson 365 Pilothouse or Gulf 32?

I'm looking for a full time liveaboard cruiser for a couple that's capable of long passages (read that Blue Water) that's budget friendly. These 2 boats are on my short list, but I see pro's and con's with each and am looking for some opinions from people who have sailed these boats.

The Gulf 32 has a reputation of solid build, excellent fowl weather capability and seakindly motion. From everything I've read the worse the conditions, the better the Gulf 32 performs.

The Pearson 365 Pilothouse has a larger pilothouse with both the Galley and Salon upstairs, which I like, 4' overall length advantage and a separate shower stall which the Admiral likes. But I haven't seen much confident inspiring information about its sailing and sea keeping abilities. Smallish fin keel, less than ideal motion comfort ratio, probably a better sail area to displacement ratio. I haven't seen much information about Pearson's build quality.

So, Pearson owners and people with experience with these boats, would you consider them "blue water" capable. Would you feel comfortable taking one to the south pacific? I like the styling of both of these boats, the Gulf 32 looks great to me, but I like the bigger pilothouse and galley up layout of the Pearson, a little more room and the shower are great.

Any thoughts between these 2 great little boats?

Transporter2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 11:11   #2

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50
Pearson 365 Pilothouse or Gulf 32?

I don't know much about the build quality of either boat, but from what I just researched on sailboatdata.com, they both look like really cool boats.

I love the lines of the Gulf 32; she looks like a classic, proper seagoing vessel. Even though there is no inside steering station, the looks of the raised deck salon/pilothouse are awesome, with nice space on the roof to move around.

The Pearson appears to have an inside steering station (not sure if the model you're looking at does), and this would be a big plus to me. If you're going to go with a pilothouse, you might as well have it be a true pilothouse and not just a DS, just my opinion. I have definitely read alot of threads on these forums as well as others about Pearsons, so although I can't speak for their quality, I think there are alot out there cruising.

Does your gut sway one way or the other on either boat? Personally, the looks of the Gulf 32 are beautiful to me, and it seems like it has a little more character than the Pearson. Although 4 ft is nothing to shrug away in that size.

Sorry I couldn't provide any real info for you- but I do love the Gulf 32, thanks for introducing me to her! Always like seeing different designs. Best of luck on your search.

David
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 11:17   #3

Re: Pearson 365 Pilothouse or Gulf 32?

The Gulf 32 had an optional inside steering station. Google some pics to see. Also the 27 and 29 had optional inside helm. They do look good!! I want one too.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
wellin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 11:24   #4

I think the Gulf was made by Capital Yachts and was not considered blue water but hell these days there are lesser built boats that many are sailing offshore.
A friend of mine had a Gulf 32 and I sailed on it from time to time, it sailed OK, I liked the engine access below the floor. The Pearson I have no experience with but as a brand they built a decent boat and if you picked your weather I guess either would make shorter offshore passages but neither would be my choice if I was going to circumnavigate.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 11:42   #5

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
I think the Gulf was made by Capital Yachts and was not considered blue water but hell these days there are lesser built boats that many are sailing offshore.
A friend of mine had a Gulf 32 and I sailed on it from time to time, it sailed OK, I liked the engine access below the floor. The Pearson I have no experience with but as a brand they built a decent boat and if you picked your weather I guess either would make shorter offshore passages but neither would be my choice if I was going to circumnavigate.
Yup...Capital made the Newport line...less than desirable results. I had a Rawson 30. Basically the same boat but different builder. It had a short waterline and hobby horse'd a bit. The Pearson is roomy but you're right...a low comfort number. I wouldn't limit myself to those boats...Keep looking.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 11:42   #6

They both seem to have a pretty decent displacement for their length, surely that counts for something.
Old 22-01-2014, 11:58   #7

Yes it does count but not as much as general build quality.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 13:59   #8

OP, what year is the Gulf 32 you're considering?
Old 22-01-2014, 15:09   #9

There are some older models of the Gulf 32 that I didn't like the looks of the interior as much. Pretty much any of the Gulfs on yacht world now are in the age I'm looking at. There's a 1982 model on there now with the updates interior.

As for my "gut feeling", I'm still struggling. I like the look of the Gulf better, and they seem to be very well respected even without being designed as "blue water" boats.

I like the bigger pilothouse on the Pearson and think LIVING in the Pearson would be nicer with the raised galley and salon, not to mention the dedicated shower.

As always in my life what I want doesn't exist. A 38 foot Gulf with the interior layout of the Pearson. All for $40,000.
Old 22-01-2014, 15:30   #10

Def the Pearson. As you mention the raised salon is much more useful. I havent owned either boat, but owned a Garden designed 30 footer very similar hull lines to the Gulf 32. Alot of windage on that Gulf small boat also. Felt very cave-ish inside to me. It will take you where you want to go, but with the short waterline and high freeboard they do tend to hobby horse in a good chop/wind waves.
My guess is the 365's have gone anywhere the G32 has. (albeit the PH version is rare) The rudder etc is further aft on the Pearson giving better control, the Garden designs like the G32 and the one I had do tend to have some significant weather helm, and the rudder being more forward/ shorter keel may be part of the problem. all in all none of this is deal breaking, but if the 365 is the one in maryland.... from the pics I dont think there is any comparison.. the Admirals right!
There is almost 7 more feet of waterline on the Pearson! Check out the profiles on Sailboatdata on the G32... those long overhangs/short waterline are why it'll hobby horse quite a bit. Again... I'm picking the Flysh*t out of the pepper, you learn to live with what you have.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 16:03   #11

Great info Cheechako.

That's the type of information I was looking for. I did look at the profiles from sailboat data but never noticed that the waterline is 7 feet longer in the Pearson. That's huge on such a short boat!
Old 22-01-2014, 16:14   #12

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473

I do believe the Pearson is a better built boat from the reviews I have read. You are best to research a few good blue water boat books ect. I see the Pearson mentioned often. I have never seen the Gulf mentioned. JMO
Old 22-01-2014, 22:46   #13
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

A good place to ask about the Pearson would be at Pearson 365/367 Yacht Club - Index
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 00:29   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I have a few thousand miles in a regular, not pilothouse Pearson 365 and can share some brief observations:

Very seaworthy and seakindly for its size.
Very strong and solidly built
Very poor sailing qualities -- simplified rig with no traveller, longish keel with lots of wetted surface, barn door rudder
Very good heads compartment with large separate shower for the size of the boat
Exceptionally good deck stowage -- the whole hull volume aft of the companionway is stowage
Rather poor access to the engine (which uses a v-drive)
Very good water tankage for the vessel size
Very good galley layout and exceptionally nice nav table for the vessel size, but that will not be relevant to the pilothouse I guess
Rather pretty to look at in my opinion (but pilothouse is different)

So in general, a very good boat, but a bit of a pig to sail. Also tiny interior space for a 37' boat by modern standards -- ok for two people but a bit cramped for more than that.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 01:18   #15

I am the proud owner of a Pearson 365 Ketch which was sailed from Sth Carolina, Latin America, through the canal, the South Pacific, New Zealand & finally to Australia. Does that make it a "Bluewater boat"? Very strong hull, easy to sail, ample storage space, can be made to turn on " a dime". Mine has a Harken traveller. Excellent value for money. Easy on the eye as well. (which is important at anchor)

Google " Get lost on purpose" and you will see the boat. Good luck: D
mgmh58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pearson, pearson 365