Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2016, 23:29   #1

Boat: Nicholson 31 1982
Pearson 365

Hi, have these Pearson 365 from 1977 a good reputation as a Solid well found yacht? anything problem wise in particular to look out for?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pearson 365.jpg
Views:	558
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	118494  
Boxertwinjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:46   #2

Re: Pearson 365

Yes, they have a good reputation. Suggest that you check out www.pearson365.com
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:25   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Older Pearsons are generally very solid boats. I've spent the last six years overhauling my 1984 422 and have found no significant structural issues.

However, like any older boat they will probably have some issues to address. Assume the 70s models, like the later Pearsons were built with a cored deck and maybe hull. Unless the previous owner was really on top of this, probably leaks around the deck fittings like stanchions, winches, etc. Check all of these carefully for water in the balsa core. If you find a really large or badly delaminated area then consider the time and cost of repair.

A few other things to check, most are typical of any older boat, some more common on Pearons.

1. Hull/deck joint. Is it solid, is it leaking?
2. Base of mast. Some Pearsons (including mine) used a steel baseplate in the bilge to hold the mast. Steel + aluminum + salt water in bilge = corroded bottom of the mast.
3. Chainplates and rigging. Boat that old the chainplates need close inspection. Rigging unless replaced recently also.
4. Engine. Always a question on older boats.
5. Bulkheads and floors. Any rot, wetness, delamination, still well tabbed to the hull and deck?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:45   #4

I owned a 365 for 12 years. Solid production boats. Overbuilt by today's standards. With that said, a 40 year old boat is going to have lots of issues. Be prepared to spend a lot of time and $ bringing her back to snuff. Well worth the effort and in the end you will have a great boat that can take you anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
venture1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 22:35   #5

After 6 years, solid is my word for the P365. Not fast, not great upwind, but she'll move out well enough on a reach. Really needs at least 15 kts to get moving well. Could do long passages but the cockpit seems a bit large for rough weather; drains can be enlarged/added. Brilliant boat for a couple.

Engine access isn't the best. Practice your boat yoga. PO repowered ours with a Yanmar 4JH3E and it's a good match. Backing is an adventure with the prop walk but you'll get the hang of it. Rigging seems really strong to me. Hull/deck has never leaked for me.

Check for damage at the aft foot or so of the keel. There's a very deep bilge sump there that is the "achilles heel" if you ground her. Easy enough to fill a bit with pourable foam. Hull is not cored, and is very stout. Mast step could be a problem, not a major one. Biggest concern may be the fuel tank. Aluminum 50 gal, may develop leaks after 40 years. Knocking on wood so far, but have heard tales of woe trying to get the old one out. Can be safely drained/inerted/cut up from lockers and replaced. Other than that, standard old boat concerns. Wiring should be redone by now--corrosion never sleeps.
Skookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 14:27   #6

Boat: Northstar 1500, 35'

I have two friends that each bought these in the last 2-3 years...The posts above are bang on...Number one problem I saw in the search of these were soft spots in the deck (coring issues). I would highly recommend checking/replacing deck drain hoses, on both my friends boats...totally rotted...super spacious live aboard with separate shower for 36'.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
captjcook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pearson, pearson 365