Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2022, 10:45   #1

Boat: Tanzer 22 to learn to sail on .
Pearson 365/357

Hello to all, we are totally new to sailing and are in the beginning stages of researching for our Bluewater boat. On the list at the moment is the Pearson 365/367 and I would like to know if they have a keel stepped Mast or Deck stepped. It funny how its not always easy to google the answers you seek.

Does anyone know where we could find mast info on any boats to know for sure Deck step/ Keel stepped. As we have discovered the post in the living are could be a compression post only and not for sure a keel stepped mast.

Any Info on these boats would be helpful. We hear some say that the Pearson 365/367 are not Bluewater boats, while other say yes. As we are new to all this, we are a little more fearful of being caught in the perfect storm, too many sailing movies, lol.

we are considering Cape Dory/ Pearson/ Bayfield/ Westsail, in 32-36 range at this point. We are afraid to go bigger and be boat poor, and as a result over whelm my limited pension. This is just to name the major contenders at this point ( Early in our search). it seems the more we know, the less we know and more confusion we face, lol
Lady Captin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 03:42   #2

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32
Re: Pearson 365/357

The Pearson 365 is a lot of boat any way you look at her. I am 99% certain they have a keel stepped mast. But I wouldn't let that deter me either way. I have also read they can have issues with the step itself - but that is true of any boat, keel or deck stepped.

My wife and I looked at them when we started looking for our next boat. Ultimately, she felt it was too much boat for her to handle by herself in an emergency, and we decided to go smaller. Something to consider.

Is she a bluewater boat ? So many opinions on this one ! As many many people have said, you can cross an ocean in almost anything. There are Pearsons of all sizes cruising everywhere. It always comes down to your level of skill and confidence.

Of the boats you are considering, the Westsail has the most impressive track record and is certainly built for the job. The Cape Dory would be next in my opinion, followed by the Pearson. The Bayfield is not generally considered a bluewater boat. Cape Dories have made many impressive ocean passages. Check out Sam Holmes on YouTube sailing his CD28. And others too. Sailing with Andy crossed the Pacific in his CD30. But the Westsail is probably the most well known for circumnavigations.

The Pearson 365 was meant as a coastal cruiser, the 367 was supposed to be the bluewater version. With today's weather forecasting capability, getting caught in the "perfect storm" is less likely. I would get the boat you feel capable of handling the best, the boat that "fits" you. Are you really and truly planning to cross oceans ? You may want the Westsail or Cape Dory. Are you content with the Caribbean ? The Pearson would be roomy and comfortable.

If you're not sure, you could try signing on as crew on an ocean passage, maybe just to Bermuda. Then you would know for sure if it "lights your fire," and be able to make a much better decision.
Old 22-01-2022, 04:13   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Sailing Uma on YT have an earlier Pearson 36, well I think its the earlier version, might be a 365. They have crossed the Atlantic, over wintered in Norway and been to the Arctic. Seems pretty blue water yacht to me.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 04:46   #4

I hear you, but it just points out what I meant by "you can cross an ocean in almost anything." I'm not saying a Pearson is not a good boat, and I'm not saying people haven't gone places in them. This discussion on "what is a good bluewater boat" has been played out on here multiple times about multiple boats.

On 'Uma's" boat. It is a 1972 Pearson 36. Here is a quote - In Bill’s words, “The boat was designed as a performance-oriented cruiser also designed for the race course” in what he described (in those days) as “a world of beamy cruisers and pipe-berth ‘tonners’ ” that left buyers with the choice of going slow comfortably or less slow uncomfortably.

Note he does not specifically say the boat is a "blue-water cruiser." Obviously it has done so. A Flicka 20 is a more purpose designed vessel that the Pearson 36, but is it the boat for your purpose ? So many factors to consider when picking a boat.

The OP asked questions about specific models. I saw no responses, and I gave what I feel is a good answer to a difficult question. I really feel - and I think many others would agree - the most important factors in ocean sailing are skill level and physical condition. Age plays a huge part of the latter, especially if you are new to the game. An older, experienced sailor has learned over the years to handle themselves in a seaway under various conditions. If you have never really sailed more than a day or two along the coast, you don't know what it's like to go 3 weeks across an ocean.

I'm not saying you can't, or shouldn't. It's a factor that needs to be considered, as much as the boat itself. Also, just like in my situation, when it comes to couples you want to make sure either person is comfortable handling the boat by themselves. Things happen, and the "team" could end up having to "solo" in an emergency.

Just my thoughts and opinion.

Old 22-01-2022, 05:04   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Indeed, always a interesting debate when it comes to bluewater. Personally living in Europe I wouldn't entertain a long keeled yacht like the Westsail, when we have so many good fin keeled yachts. I would rather have the better sailing performance and cockpit space on a yacht that would be a pleasure to sail, but that is just my opinion, others will have different views.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Captin View Post
we are a little more fearful of being caught in the perfect storm, too many sailing movies, lol.
A friend and member of CF is currently crossing the Atlantic and this is what he is dealing with. I suspect a good book will be the most valuable item on board at the moment, following by suncream.

Sailing Uma have just done Svalbard to Iceland in a variety of conditions. They like many today are using satellite weather forecasting to choose their route avoiding bad weather and equally areas of no wind, thereby giving them great sailing.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1212.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	251737  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 05:33   #6

Pearson 365s have crossed oceans. They are absolutely capable, if you are.

The main mast is keel-stepped. Not certain about the mizzen, in the ketch version. In any case, lots of boats with deck-stepped masts have also crossed oceans. I really think that too many people make too big of a deal over how the mast is stepped. If the boat is designed properly -- that is, the mast is properly supported -- then it really does not make any difference.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 05:38   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

As an owner of a larger Pearson, a 422 I have some comments.

First the mast step. I believe the 365 is keel stepped and if like the other models they used a steel step you should check it carefully. The aluminum mast in a steel step will experience galvanic corrosion and over time the aluminum will be eaten away leaving the bottom 2-3" of the mast like Swiss cheese. I had this problem and had to cut away 3" on the bottom of the mast and build a new mast step (not steel) 3" higher to compensate. I have seen at least four Pearsons that had this problem. However, not a deal breaker and a relatively easy repair.

I might add, keel stepped vs deck stepped is a non issue in my opinion. Done properly either design is strong and seaworthy.

Overall Pearsons are built well and I would not hesitate to take one across an ocean. Maybe not the best boat for sailing in the Perfect Storm but then not many are.

Which brings up the Westsail. The boat, for good reasons, has a cult following. They are indeed built like a tank and some say they sail like one. Certainly not a rocket ship and does not point all that well. Also be aware that they were sold in various forms from factory finished to hull/deck owner finished kits. Many were finished out quite well, others not so much. Many had plywood decks that have deteriorated over the years and will take a major rebuild to sail again.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2022, 18:29   #8

Wow that is some great advice and very helpful. You just cant help but get a little more emotional with bigger, dare I say sexier boats . You have however raised some very, very good points, and you have helped swing the opinion meter towards a smaller boats once again!

Not sure it will stay there, but it has to settle on a size before purchase, lol. we are more leaning towards a smaller boat to be honest, given so many possible expenses. The 30% US exchange rate, possible import fees, Transporting the Boat over Land to Ontario, where we plan to live and learn to sail it , before heading down the ICW. Plus unknown upgrades, or repairs.

Clearly it would be better to make a smaller mistake with a smaller boat, than a bigger mistake with a bigger boat money wise. Yes I am not to convinced the Bayfield is open ocean worthy, but it budget friendly , lol.

I would love a westsail, but they are all in the US at this point, and We do not wish to buy a US boat at this point, import fees, taxes and Transport to start with. However who knows , maybe in the end it will be needed to get the boat we need in the end.
Old 23-01-2022, 18:48   #9

Quick Question ? Please give me a little detail on why you would not consider a Bayfield 32 blue water, or an Ocean crossing boat. While most will admit that the Westail is more than up to the task? Not to seem stupid, but they both have full keel and seem on the surface similarly built ?

Thanks.
Old 23-01-2022, 18:50   #10

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Quote:
Wow that is some great advice and very helpful. You just cant help but get a little more emotional with bigger, dare I say sexier boats . You have however raised some very, very good points, and you have helped swing the opinion meter towards a smaller boats once again!

Not sure it will stay there, but it has to settle on a size before purchase, lol. we are more leaning towards a smaller boat to be honest, given so many possible expenses. The 30% US exchange rate, possible import fees, Transporting the Boat over Land to Ontario, where we plan to live and learn to sail it , before heading down the ICW. Plus unknown upgrades, or repairs.

Clearly it would be better to make a smaller mistake with a smaller boat, than a bigger mistake with a bigger boat money wise. Yes I am not to convinced the Bayfield is open ocean worthy, but it budget friendly , lol.

I would love a westsail, but they are all in the US at this point, and We do not wish to buy a US boat at this point, import fees, taxes and Transport to start with. However who knows , maybe in the end it will be needed to get the boat we need in the end.
=====================================
I believe boats manufactured in USA will not have import tax because of the NAFTA ( and vice versa) and am sure if I am wrong will be corrected by a more knowledgeable member.
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2022, 19:17   #11

I sail an older Cape Dory and am very happy, however when looking at boats at the time went to see a Pearson, a C&C and eventually decided on my Cape Dory.
Price and conditions the deciding factor, not a doubt about the quality of any of them, have been sailing for the last 50 years and at 80 safety at sea is a concern.
Will go out on any of them.
Westsail I believe was one of the sailboats surviving the Perfect Storm? they abandoned ship and rescued by the CG? sailboat was found intact after the storm?
Personally will prefer any of the previous 3,not good reason really just personal preferences.
On size, many current cruisers prefer bigger boats on the range of 40's also prefer more modern designs, they will vociferously shut down any objection to their beliefs.
On the other hand, some like me prefer smaller size (I cruised on a Tartan 34 C,1978 with my wife late 90's) and we were quite content, and those memories are unforgettable.
Of course,I come from a generation that defined the ideal boat as "the one you have, and preferable the one is paid for).
I purchased Martha Lei 2018 and outfitted her as an offshore sailboat,the expenses on her size have mounted BUT i am sure was less than if I had to outfit a bigger boat.
30 ft is fine and very comfortable for me as a single might be a little small for a couple, perhaps 34 to 36 will be the right size? but again, keep in mind two boats of the same length may have total different levels of comfort depending on their design.
Comparing my 1987 Cape Dory 30 seems bigger inside than my old Tartan 34.
Old 23-01-2022, 19:32   #12

forgot to answer one of your questions, my Cape Dory is deck stepped, and has been mentioned before ,in my opinion makes no difference when you reach these quality boats.
Old 23-01-2022, 19:56   #13
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41

Quote:
we are considering Cape Dory/ Pearson/ Bayfield/ Westsail, in 32-36 range at this point. We are afraid to go bigger and be boat poor, and as a result over whelm my limited pension. This is just to name the major contenders at this point ( Early in our search). it seems the more we know, the less we know and more confusion we face, lol
Of the 4 mention, the only one I've not sailed on is the Bayfield. As you are stating that you don't want to be boat poor, the real answer as to which is better has nothing to do with the specific boat name, but rather you need to find the boat that has had the best maintenance and requires the least amount of work for what you want to do. Find the boat that has had the best upgrades, best maintenance and will cost you the least to get ready.

Both the Cape Dory and the Pearson will have notably less interior space than the same sized Westsail (again, I don't know the Bayfield). The best one will be the one in the best condition.

dj
dlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2022, 03:38   #14

Quote:
Quick Question ? Please give me a little detail on why you would not consider a Bayfield 32 blue water, or an Ocean crossing boat. While most will admit that the Westail is more than up to the task? Not to seem stupid, but they both have full keel and seem on the surface similarly built ?

Thanks.
I think you hit the nail on the head when you said "On the surface." The Bayfield is a more lightly constructed boat, and from everything I have ever read about them they were never designed as an offshore vessel. I would consider them a very capable shoal draft coastal cruiser. Very capable, but coastal or Bahamas style. I like them, and almost bought a 25 once. The gentleman who was selling her had sailed to the Bahamas more than once.

Consider just the displacement - the Bayfield is 9600, the Westsail is 19,600. Heck, the Westsail has 7000 pounds of ballast ! You would never be able to carry the kind of stores aboard the B32 as the W32 would handle. Those numbers right there point out the huge difference between the two. For further thought the Cape Dory 33 is 13,300 and the CD36 is 16,100. The Pearson 365 is 17,700, which is still not as much as the Westsail !

Hope these things help your thought process. I don't know how old y'all are or your physical condition, but definitely consider your capabilities. As I've gotten older I have to remind myself not to bite off more than I can chew, because even though I still have all my own teeth, my jaw muscles get tired sooner !

Old 24-01-2022, 06:58   #15

OldManMirage,

Wow what an awesome reply ! In just one paragraph you pointed out things that may have taken me a great deal of time to figure out if left alone . Are you sure you don’t have a commission deal set up with Westsail32 ?

I know for some of you salty dogs us newbie must come across as idiots at times, it just that in your message , for the first time the weight displacement numbers just jumped out and made total sense !

The only defence I have for my being an idiot that could not see clearly, what I neeed to see, to answer my own question. Is honestly when you start out , there are just so many numbers and sailing terms and language, that it overwhelms my small caveman brain .

Thank you soooo much for teaching this caveman how to light his own fires ��

The only thing that concerns me about the westsail , is that the cockpit does not appear to be the lest bit cruiser friendly ! At this point my research is only by way of photos ! So it hard to say . I will bee more mindful of the displacement when comparing boats of equal size to have a better grasp of build strength, quality and ability to perhaps handle my perfect storm !

Thanks , feel a little smarter now ! However only until my next caveman moment , which like the next wave, is due any second !

As you ask , we just turned 57 and are both at the moment fit and physically able . Howerver as we all know that could change .

Tags
pearson, pearson 365