Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2014, 17:42   #1

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop
Pearson 35

Interested in anyone restoring a Pearson 35. My wife and are just finishing up a complete restoration of hull #220. We're hoping to launch sometime in October. We didn't find anything unusual during the year that we have been working on her but we certainly found plenty of neglect. She is currently essentially a new boat. Nothing remains of her original equipment except the refrigerator.
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 17:50   #2

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22
Re: Pearson 35

Sounds like you have been busy. Any pics or blog of your restoration
Old 02-09-2014, 17:55   #3

Sadly we did not take many pic's of the restorationbut I will be posting some of the finished product in the near future. The inside is still torn up as we had all the wiring removed and it's still being replaced.
Old 02-09-2014, 18:01   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I am in the final stages of restoring a badly neglected Pearson 42. Speaking with other Pearson owners I think TPI used the same basic construction techniques on most of their models.

In my case the original refrigerator was one of the first things I got rid of. The mechanics could have been repaired but the insulation on the box was a bad joke. 1-2" spray on foam in most places with none at all in spots.

I assume you have checked all the deck fittings. The original bedding has long ago deteriorated and holes were drilled directly into the wood core without epoxy sealing around the hole. Like most boats of that age wet and rotted core is common around almost all fittings.

Another common problem is the mast step. Many models used a steel step in the keel. Over time if the bilgel has been wet the base of the mast can corrode inside the step. I had to cut 3" off mine and build a new step 3" higher.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 18:32   #5

The answer to removal of deck hardware is yes, that was one of the first things we did. As each was removed the core was probed and if it was ok we sealed the core slot we did find some core rot which we removed and then dried and sealed the area. Overall the decks are firm and show no sign of any extensive core rot. As to the mast the step is is excellent condition. A survey indicated the mast was not original, she is heavily rigged as she sailed around both Africa and South America as well as other extreme ocean areas. When you look at the rig it doesn't even look like a Pearson rig.
Old 02-09-2014, 18:32   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterbutch View Post
Interested in anyone restoring a Pearson 35. My wife and are just finishing up a complete restoration of hull #220. We're hoping to launch sometime in October. We didn't find anything unusual during the year that we have been working on her but we certainly found plenty of neglect. She is currently essentially a new boat. Nothing remains of her original equipment except the refrigerator.
I hope you find a buyer but I gotta ask. Why are your selling after all that hard work?
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 18:39   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
I hope you find a buyer but I gotta ask. Why are your selling after all that hard work?
I am not looking to sell for at least the next 4-5 years. We're intending to sail ine boat extensively for about that time. I hope I didn't get into the sale area of the forums.
Old 02-09-2014, 18:45   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterbutch View Post
Interested in anyone restoring a Pearson 35.
Ha, ha, ha....

My Lysdexia is acting up seriously...

I read that as "Anyone interested in a restored Pearson 35" - What a dumbass -

Congratulations on your impending splash date!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 18:49   #9

Man I wouldnt worry if that's the biggest mistake you've made lately, believe it when I tell you it pale's compared to some of mine.
Old 02-09-2014, 20:41   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Just finishing up a refit of 1969 hull #108. Galley chart area is nearing completion and is totally new with rebuilt chart frig/ice box with proper insulation. Major work on the deck/hull join. The glass in the hull where it turns to make the deck shelf was totally resin starved. Don't know how it stayed together all those years. Tore out the bad glass with a chisel and grinder then glassed in the hull to deck joint all the way around. Hopefully this will be the first FRP boat I've owned without a deck join leak. Tore out the large fixed ports in the main cabin and glassed the pukas in. Bought new opening ports and cut them into the cabin side. Boy is it nice to have that cross ventilation in the marina. Still have to do the wiring and install LectraSan and tear out the POS holding tank, install the tank for the cabin heater, and paint the non skid. Hopefully will get out and do some sailing soon.

Bought the boat in Santa Cruz and sailed it up to Alameda where I kept it for 5 years. Sailed it solo to Hawaii in 2010. Hauled out in 2010 for the hull/deck repairs. Plan on doing a circumnavigation to Alaska next year and back to Kona.

Will try and figure out how to upload a few pics or would love to exchange pictures of our creations via email. PM me if you do.

Oops, file sizes too large for this site to accept.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 20:22   #11
Moderator Emeritus

See if this picture loads.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:24   #12

I only hope mine comes out as nice as yours, I really like the dark hull but so many people at the marina who have them warned me not to because of the heat.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:53   #13
Moderator Emeritus

It's a crappy photo that I took just to see if I could post a photo to this site. Took the photo late in the day facing into the sun and the camera's auto exposure setting got confused. Will try and get a better exposed photo.

The color is actually not very dark and hasn't been an issue for heat. Lighter colors stand up to abuse better than dark. If you scratch a dark color through to the light gel coat, it really sticks out. Dark colors also show up less than perfect preparation and imperfections from the original mold more than light colors. Went with an industrial LPU paint that can be buffed and patched. Doesn't have the super high gloss of AwlGrip but also doesn't have the repair or lack there of ability to do small repairs.

Can't take the credit for the way the boat turned out. Helped the professional had do the glass work and paint. Extent of work I had done was beyond my ability to accomplish in this lifetime.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:40   #14

I have to agree with you as to the extent of work needed to put these 30+ year old boats back in shape. I was and emphasize the was in the boat building business way back in the late 1960s and early 1970s and as a rent-a-captain I did a bit of maintenance as well, but my experience pales when compared to the Pearson. Boats this age have a lot of needs so I have had to use professionals to a much greater extent than I would like. Hopefully this too shall end and we can spend some time sailing and not just working on it. Next month will mark the first anniversary of " working on it ". Fair winds and calm seas on your up coming voyages, keep us informed, we would love to hear your adventures.
Old 07-09-2014, 16:36   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Better Pictures: The dinghy is the same color as the boat. Have the best looking dinghy in the harbor. Get more compliments on that than the boat.

This is a picture of the Westsail we built from a bare hull going on 40 years ago, now:

Tags
pearson