Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2015, 09:45   #16

Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA
Re: Pearson 323: Enchantress Circumnavigation Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by George DuBose View Post
I would sell the Para Anchor and buy a Jordan series drogue. ...

Also, if you have ventilation or dorades on the deck, you should figure a way to close them in a storm/roll over situation...

I don't see jacklines or harnesses on your list. Do you have a boarding ladder? Do you think of trailing a line to grab and disconnect the autopilot in case you go swimming unintentionally?

ProMariner made (makes) a great 40 amp charger that works on all voltages 100-240 50/60 cycles. They also have great service. There was a rain water leak over the installation location and I hadn't installed the rain guard. They replaced the unit for free. What you have to consider when you have a large battery bank is how long a shore-powered charger will bring the batteries up. I have a 3GM30F and upgraded the stock alternator to a 100 amp Balmar. I have five Optima Series 31 Yellow Tops and they like to eat amps.

I went with a SuperWind 350 for offshore power. I didn't like the idea of dragging a "lure" through the water. The SuperWind saved my butt in the middle of the Atlantic after my crew flattened the batteries one night.

All in all, I think you have a good plan and are well-prepared. If you get anywhere near Amsterdam or the IJsselmeer, I would like to meet you.

I have the para anchor should I want to sit still in deep waters. I don't think it has to be an emergency or storm situation, but it could be used in one. A drogue would be nice to add for storm conditions, but I think the para anchor serves two purposes while the drogue only one. (my understanding)

Good call about the ventilation ducts, I am pretty sure I have the caps to replace the scoops. I will double check the fitting.

Jacklines, harness, and tether, I have all three. Good catch, should have been listed.

Ill look at the ProMariner chargers soon.

I also have a 3gm30 and a Balmer, it has done a good job of charging batteries the 5 yrs Ive had the boat.

For alt power I have the 2 Renogy solar panels 100w each. I tested them last weekend anchoring out and they performed really well. (It was sunny). I thought about wind, but in the end solar felt more comfortable. Would be good to have both but I don't want to over do it.

I plan to stay where its warm, but if I come that way ill announce it.
Thanks George
theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 10:14   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

We have spent many years in the Indian Ocean. You show your trip passing down the eastern side of Madagascar. Strongly urge you to cruise the western (lee) side. It is stunningly beautiful with loads of anchorages. Also, if you need medical assitance, Mayotte is right there. In addition, Dar-es-Salaam is the only 'proper' yacht club on the whole east coast of Africa. In addition to some of the good suggestions:-
What about spare impellors? Both for the outboard and inboard. Water pumps have a nasty habit of going kaput, and we also carry spare injectors (expensive) and a spare (reconditioned) starter. A spare head gasket is also useful - these really depend on your ability to use them, tho'. Would also recommend a good fuel filter, enough spare engine oil and filters (oil + fuel) to get you through about six months of expected engine use. Add a big can of 2-stroke oil if your outboard is a 2 stroke.
Don't forget an anti-sting suit (or wet suit + weight belt) fins, snorkel and mask for when you need to go under water - prop wrap, anchor tangle etc. Also, a couple of good scrapers for the hull and a grp patching kit. The list could go on and on......
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 11:07   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
We have spent many years in the Indian Ocean. You show your trip passing down the eastern side of Madagascar. Strongly urge you to cruise the western (lee) side. It is stunningly beautiful with loads of anchorages. Also, if you need medical assitance, Mayotte is right there. In addition, Dar-es-Salaam is the only 'proper' yacht club on the whole east coast of Africa. In addition to some of the good suggestions:-
What about spare impellors? Both for the outboard and inboard. Water pumps have a nasty habit of going kaput, and we also carry spare injectors (expensive) and a spare (reconditioned) starter. A spare head gasket is also useful - these really depend on your ability to use them, tho'. Would also recommend a good fuel filter, enough spare engine oil and filters (oil + fuel) to get you through about six months of expected engine use. Add a big can of 2-stroke oil if your outboard is a 2 stroke.
Don't forget an anti-sting suit (or wet suit + weight belt) fins, snorkel and mask for when you need to go under water - prop wrap, anchor tangle etc. Also, a couple of good scrapers for the hull and a grp patching kit. The list could go on and on......

Ill have a look at the Western side of Madagascar. Do you know a site/guide that lists the anchorages, etc.?

I have an impeller for the 3gm30 not the Evinrude 8.
Most things are out of my skill level when taking apart the engine.

I have plenty of filters and oil. I probably need a bigger thing of 2 stroke oil though.

I do have a wet suit I use here in the SF bay, so it should be good most places I'm going. Two masks and a snorkel, no fins... never liked them, but might pick some up before i go.

I do have scrapers, knifes and other tools... 5200, JB weld steel stick, Water Weld, Epoxy, etc.

And yup, the list could and does go on for a while.

thanks.
Old 29-01-2015, 11:10   #19

To those who mentioned the ProMariner (or anyone), I have a question.

How are you getting the 240 power to the charger? Do you carry 2 shore power cords? 125v and 250v?

I'm not too familiar with all these numbers either. Why are the cords 125v and 250v but you mention 240v?

I have a Heart Freedom 10 which I have been using with what I'm pretty sure is 125v.

thanks,
austin
Old 29-01-2015, 12:51   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Get the East Africa Pilot, it'll save you a fortune in detailed paper charts. It shows places that are not even charted yet. There are so many anchorages that you can stop every night. As with many places, you do need a cruising permit for Madagascar which can be bought on arrival. You didn't mention Chagos which have some of most incredible islands you can imagine. Just remember that late October to early March is cyclone time around Madagascar, despite some years being cyclone free. Not withstanding, we move away at this time.
Many shall tell you that you cannot some here but you can - but again with limitations.
Places like South Africa offer very good value and even free walk-on in Durban harbour for 30 days. Provisioning and marine works are also good value.
Old 29-01-2015, 16:59   #21

Not having sailed any further than my imagination (unless one counts Uncle Sam's canoe club; carrier style), I am likely no help on the trip planning. But it is exciting to dream of the adventure anyway so congratulations. The Twilight Zone taught me about one thing you might add; spare glasses. I have also read elsewhere that a box of cheep sunglasses are great give away schwag for able helpers, should you need them in certain countries.

Happy Adventures,

Sundae
Old 29-01-2015, 17:25   #22

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by theway View Post
I think you're right about the chain. I'll measure the one I have on my Bruce, and if it's not 100' or more I'll go shopping. You're recommending 80m?

What boat were you on when switching from 20 to 30?

The Delta has worked perfect as a primary, but heard good things about the Bruce. I picked up the Bruce in Annapolis mainly to have a variety for different bottom conditions, but only used it once or twice because the delta always sticks.

I'll look at pro mariner.

Thanks again.
Austin, the anchor switch was on our current boat (before going to our Manson Supreme 60 lb). 46 LOA, ~12 tonnes laden displacement.

And re the various mains voltages reported: I use the term "110" VAC to refer to any of the standard supply voltages as seen in teh USA. Some folks say 115, some 120, and what you actually get at the end of a long dock can be lower yet. Doesn't really matter to the battery charger! The voltages here in Oz (and many other Pacific islands) are nominally 240 VAC, and again can vary significantly in practice. New Caledonia seems to use 220 as the target voltage.

IMO, your standard US shore power connection will work quite well on the higher voltages, for their insulation is adequate and the currents will be lesser, so conductor size will be good. So, the least expensive approach will be to use your existing cord with an adaptor at the male end. A few marinas that deal with lots of transients from overseas (like Marina Moselle in Noumea) will have adaptors for loan or for sale. Other places you may have to trundle off to the local hardware and buy appropriate connectors to make your own adaptor. The Pro Mariner chargers require changing a switch position when going from one voltage to another... ain't automatic, so beware!

Oh, if you will be keeping 110 volt stuff on board, take some appropriate male and female connectors with you. Once you leave the states they become very hard to source.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 29-01-2015, 19:14   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Driver View Post
Not having sailed any further than my imagination (unless one counts Uncle Sam's canoe club; carrier style), I am likely no help on the trip planning. But it is exciting to dream of the adventure anyway so congratulations. The Twilight Zone taught me about one thing you might add; spare glasses. I have also read elsewhere that a box of cheep sunglasses are great give away schwag for able helpers, should you need them in certain countries.

Happy Adventures,

Sundae

Yes, spare glasses are a good idea. I have 2 back ups and a small bag of disposable contacts.

The broader concept of giveaways is a great idea. And sunglasses are a good start.

Thanks
Old 30-01-2015, 08:28   #24

And to those who think the time line is compressed I'd love to see alternatives that avoid all hurricane seasons.

Old 30-01-2015, 09:09   #25

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Jim Cate, You mention going to a Manson Supreme 60 lb anchor for your 46' vessel. I plan on sporting the MS anchor but wonder about which size. I am currently re-constructing a 47' Alden ketch which will have a displacement of just under 36,000 lbs when completed. The sizing charts seem to indicate I could do well with a 60 lb MS but then I hear folks talk about going one size up. Since I plan on having 2 bow anchors the 80 lb anchor X 2 adds 40 lbs and much larger to boot. Not that 40 lbs would make much difference given the amount of chain I will carry - I guess it's the idea of conserving funds/deck area, etc. If I don't need an 80 lb anchor, I don't want to buy it.

Have you been happy with the 60 lb MS anchor? Given your experience I would assume you have sized the anchor to be big enough for most circumstances so I appreciate your opinion. Thanks
Old 30-01-2015, 09:34   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

We have a Mantus 85lb for our primary anchor. Some say it is oversized for a 45ft cat but we feel better when anchored and the weather changes quickly. In fact we can sit a little smugly when we see our friends loading their 'storm anchor' into their dinghy. We don't believe in 'lunch hooks' or 'storm anchors' - we always use our big anchor as our working anchor. Yes its more work every single time but we have a big electric windlass. We still have three other anchor arrangments.
Old 30-01-2015, 10:32   #27

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

EStarzinger makes the argument for big length of chain (120-150') on the main anchor and another of the same length in the bilge that you can shackle on in deep anchorages and will be the spare rode if the main is lost.

http://www.bethandevans.com/systems.htm#8.

I would put all but one battery in a single bank for the house uses and the single battery would be for engine starting. This will increase both capacity and longevity for various chemical reasons.

To keep the starting battery charged use an echo charger, or install a small alternator just for that battery or put a 5w solar panel in a window and let it charge continuously.

Get a specific gravity tester and a couple gallons of DISTILLED water and check every cell once per month.

Adelie
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 10:38   #28

My 15kg Bruce has 115' G4 1/4" chain and 140' 3/4" 3-strand.
Old 30-01-2015, 10:44   #29

Boat: Newport 28

Subscribed! I'll be routing for you.

Are you going to post updates along the way?
VinnyVincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 10:47   #30

Pearson 323: Enchantress Circumnavigation Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
EStarzinger makes the argument for big length of chain (120-150') on the main anchor and another of the same length in the bilge that you can shackle on in deep anchorages and will be the spare rode if the main is lost.
I would put all but one battery in a single bank for the house uses and the single battery would be for engine starting. This will increase both capacity and longevity for various chemical reasons.

Adelie

What do you attach the spare chain rode to? Presumably if you lost the main rode you lost that anchor too (Somewhat joking)

I'll probably get another length of chain (90') for the Delta and use the current one as backup.

I do have a separate cranking battery in addition to the two house banks. I know some suggest one house bank but I can choose one or both, I like the option and each bank has its own solar panel and controller.

Tags
circumnavigation, enc, navigation, pearson