Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2009, 13:12   #1

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38
Pearson 26 Sail Situation for Next Summer's Voyage - Please Advise

Hello,

I am planning a six week trip next summer from NYC to Lubec, Maine and back in my Pearson 26. I have not done a trip of this scale before, and I am working on many aspects of my boat before the voyage. Unfortunately, my sails need a little work, and I'm hoping somebody can give me advice on what I can do to bring them up to snuff without spending too much.

My main is in quite good shape, although not as crisp as it probably once was and also there is a a little bit of fraying at the luff where the sail is folded back and double stitched. The stitching is all intact and strong, but occasionally I have to cut off tiny wisps of dakron and I wouldn't be surprised if this reached the stitching at some point. Is there some product I can put on over the stitching to harden up the edge and stop this from happening?

My main only has one reef, and I want to install a second and maybe a third set of reef points. I have found instructions on how to do this myself, but I don't have a ton of experience with a sewing machine. Would it be better to get this done by somebody like Sailcare? And maybe have them do that restoration thing they do while I'm at it? Does anyone have experience with this company, or recommend another? How much should I expect to spend if I am getting something like this done?

And now onto the headsail. I have a 1.25 genoa that, although thick and relatively new feeling in most areas, unfortunately took some real damage last season. It opened about up on the roller furl at the dock during a windstorm, and whipped around for a couple of hours before the guys at the boatyard were able to let me know about the problem. The result was a few sections of considerable chafe and torn stitching along the luff, a three foot bagged out section on the foot just a little bit bit forward of the clew, and a delamination of the UV material along parts of the tack. I resewed the stitching and taped up the chafe after it happened, but now that the season is over it's not looking so great.

Should I look to get this Genoa repaired or would it make more sense to invest in a new one? It seems like they are starting around $500 bucks. I already have a beautiful, never used genoa from UK sails of the same size, but it is a (kevlar?) laminate genoa with hanks and I am not sure if it can or should be modified to fit the roller furl. Can I fly a hank-on jib without messing with the existing forestay? So, how to proceed: repair, replacement, or modification of rig to use the hank-on genoa?

Lastly, the boat came with one tiny storm jib, but I must say it does not seem like a very strong sail and it has no reinforcement whatsoever on the leech, just a bare edge. Almost looks unfinished. Is there something I can do to beef up this sail a bit and make sure it will fit in the roller furl? Or do I just fly it outside the roller furl forestay (same question from the genoa situation, I guess)? If not, should I consider one of those storm sails that fits over the rolled up jib? How much do those go for and where should I look for a reasonable one?

I know I asked a lot, but hopefully you all can give me some guidance on how to proceed. I am working on a pretty limited budget, especially considering all the other work and upgrades that need to be done, so cheaper options are heavily preferred! Thanks a lot in advance.

Jack
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:59   #2

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Hi Jack,

Your profile doesn't say where you are, but your picture and departure point seem to indicate that you are in the NYC area.

I use a sailmaker in NJ...John Eggers Inc. John Eggers Inc., Sailmakers
I would highly recommend them. Bring your sails in, and speak to Dave he will give you excellent advice and work with you. If, he can do minor repairs he will.
He can certainly add a 2nd reef point to your main ( correctly)
He can answer all your questions or point you in the right direction. He may have some used consignment sails to offer as well if he determines that you need to replace

Another place to look, should you need to replace sails might be Bacon's in annapolis.
Bacon Sails & Marine Supplies They have a large inventory of used sails. You would want to go there and inspect.

The Storm sail that you refer to that goes over the furled up Jib/Genoa is the " Gale Sail" from ATN ATN Home Page -- sailing, sail, storm, gale, tacker, spinnaker, sleeve, stasher, flasher, douser, chute scoop, sally, case, furler, roller, reefed sail, single handed, short handed, cruising, transatlantic, round the world, Jules Verne Trophy, BOC, w (there are others) For your boat you are talking about $700.
you might be able to find one for sale on ebay or one of the sailing forum sites.

With a roller furling you don't have many options for a storm Jib other than the Gale sail....or an inner forestay which would involve some modifications to your vessel and obvious expense.

I'd take care of the sails you have first.

I'd talk to the sailmaker regarding the kevlar sail. It might be possible to remove the hanks, put a luff wire in, so that you can raise and lower it manually on your existing furling gear.

Again, I would take all your sails into Dave at Eggers and let him advise you. I'm sure there are other fine sailmakers in the area that give personal service but I'll let others weigh in, as I have not dealt with anyone else in years.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:10   #3

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
P.S. Your timing is good. Now is the time to get your sails in as most good sailmakers will get extremely busy by spring.

Best of Luck!
Old 01-12-2009, 07:02   #4

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Hello,

Should I look to get this Genoa repaired or would it make more sense to invest in a new one? It seems like they are starting around $500 bucks.

Jack
where are you getting your sails from? I paid about three times that last year for a 150.

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pearson