Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2018, 13:05   #31

Boat: Sabre 34-2
Re: Pearson 26 extreme heel in a gust

With all the islands in Casco Bay, even a light wind can funnel in the gaps and increase in velocity and/or direction. Try to look for these potential spots depending on the wind direction. After a while, you'll start to learn where they tend to be. I've been happily sailing in 10kts of wind, and then hit a funnel that hits me with 18 kts. Dump the traveler and the main sheet until you pass through the area, then go back on your way is the only way to really do it. Conversely, I've been out reefed in 18kts steady, then hit areas where it drops to nearly nothing because of shadowing by islands (between Hope and Diamond is notorious for that, at least in my mind). Nothing to do but work through it because it will be back up past the next island.

Casco Bay used to drive me crazy when I was first learning to sail because of this, but I've come to appreciate it. Much more interesting than just tacking back and forth in 10 kts steady all day.
doug1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 13:07   #32

Boat: 1980 Pearson 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
What is the problem? Appears to be a normal sail. If you have a concern one hand on the tiller the other on the sheet. You could consider getting that 200# from the lee side to the windward side of the cockpit.
LOL - My son was awake by the time of the "incident". If not, he would have been after for sure!
Old 22-08-2018, 13:11   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug1957 View Post
With all the islands in Casco Bay, even a light wind can funnel in the gaps and increase in velocity and/or direction. Try to look for these potential spots depending on the wind direction. After a while, you'll start to learn where they tend to be. I've been happily sailing in 10kts of wind, and then hit a funnel that hits me with 18 kts. Dump the traveler and the main sheet until you pass through the area, then go back on your way is the only way to really do it. Conversely, I've been out reefed in 18kts steady, then hit areas where it drops to nearly nothing because of shadowing by islands (between Hope and Diamond is notorious for that, at least in my mind). Nothing to do but work through it because it will be back up past the next island.

Casco Bay used to drive me crazy when I was first learning to sail because of this, but I've come to appreciate it. Much more interesting than just tacking back and forth in 10 kts steady all day.

Gotta love Casco Bay! I used to lobster out of South Harpswell so know the western bay like the back of my hand. Not so much the eastern side where I am now (Cundys Harbor/New Meadows River)
Old 22-08-2018, 15:24   #34

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Pearson 26 extreme heel in a gust

captn_rob, you did well for a learning sailor. Your boat is not going to go over in 15 knots of wind in flat water. When you don’t have guest aboard you may want to test out beating in stronger wind and heeling over on purpose to gain confidence in your boat and yourself. See for yourself what happens when you release or ease the main sheet.

As others have advised reef early and reef often. You will have to figure out for yourself under what amount of sail your boat behaves best or get advice form owners of similar boats.

My boat is bigger and heavier therefore more stable than yours (and I’ve been sailing for a lot longer) but I generally tuck in the first reef in my mainsail at 18 knots apparent. Then at 23-25 I’ll roller furl the yankee (sailing with staysail and reefed main). At 30 I’ll tuck in a second reef in the main. At 35-38 I’ll drop the staysail and sail on with double reefed main. I have a third reef in my mainsail but truthfully I’ve never had to use it.

All of this is not to suggest that your boat should respond the same as mine to these wind speeds. I am just suggesting that planning to reef as the wind approaches 15 (or may approach 15) is logical for your boat. Also, it makes sense to have a plan for what range of wind speeds with what sail configurations you feel comfortable in your boat.

Keep on sailing. Keep on learning. Isn’t it great fun?
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 15:48   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Keep on sailing. Keep on learning. Isn’t it great fun?
Absolutely!

Question: What is a Yankee?? (other than ME that is LOL) I'm familiar with Genoa and Jib but haven't heard of that one yet.
Old 22-08-2018, 17:50   #36

Boat: Amel 50

The old saying is (more or less), “when you first start thinking it might be time to reef, it is time to reef.”

You should reef when true wind speed hits 15 knots if not sooner. Remember when you’re on an upwind point of sail, the apparent wind will increase by the boat speed, contributing to heel. In those conditions that would be the equivalent of 22 knots or so. And you might be surprised how your speed won’t be adversely affected. You may even gain speed by spilling less wind from over-heeling.

I hope you kept the lobster boat. Hauling pots from the Pearson will prove difficult .
Howler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 18:09   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howler View Post
I hope you kept the lobster boat. Hauling pots from the Pearson will prove difficult .
I got out of lobstering nearly 20 years ago I'm afraid...
captn_rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 18:22   #38

Boat: Beneteau 40.7

Nothing you encountered is unusual. You must learn your boat and how it responds to changes in conditions. It's called learning to sail.

I suggest you leave the friends and family on shore once in a while and try to find an experienced sailor or two, plus other friends who want to learn the ropes.

Don't head out into a gale, but try to find a day with less than benign conditions. Wear your life vest.
Tiller time and the advice of able seamen will get you the experience and knowledge you need. If you are a good student you may even get to sail with them.
thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 18:30   #39

Boat: Valiant 40

When it gets gusty keep your hand on the mainsheet and be ready to let it out. If the present hardware makes that difficult you can change it out.

Optimum heel is @ 15 degrees. More than that and the boat is making more leeway.

You probably should have reefed the main. If a boat is “overpowered” it’s not going to sail as well as with less canvas up.
Old 22-08-2018, 19:01   #40

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

A "Yankee" is the name of a headsail, the forward one of two, when you have a "staysail" the inner one. A "cutter" rig is one where the rig is designed to carry two headsails and the mast is set so far back that the foretriangle (area forward of the mast) is larger than the mainsail. The forward headsail, or Yankee, usually is cut higher, that is the clew is above the clew on the inner staysail. When it comes time to reduce sail area, the yankee typically is doused (lowered or rolled up) first and the main is reefed to maintain the sail balance. That is to keep the sails' center of effort roughly in the same location so that the boat does not develop any lee or weather helm (that is it's not trying to turn one way or the other.) If you know al this already, forgive me. Here's an old thread too:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...or-190228.html

Many folks also refer to a rig with two headsails as a jib, or just headsail, and a staysail, or if the furled headsail is cut larger it's a genoa. And it is then correct do so on a "sloop" because their particular boat has their masts forward far enough that the foretriangle is smaller than the mainsail's area.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 19:17   #41

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

ASA says this but I believe it is not exactly technically correct because it leaves out the size of the foretriangle, so I believe they are describing a sloop with two headsails. I believe that the Yankee, strictly speaking, being so high cut, is correctly the name of the forward headsail on a cutter rig not a sloop rig. Sailmakers out there?
https://asa.com/news/2015/06/05/whats-in-a-rig-cutter/#
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 19:43   #42

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by captn_rob View Post
Absolutely!

Question: What is a Yankee?? (other than ME that is LOL) I'm familiar with Genoa and Jib but haven't heard of that one yet.
A "yankee" is a smallish (usually < 100% of fore triangle) head sail with a high cut foot (clew is much higher than tack). It is often run on cutter rigs because its easier to tack over the stay sail.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 06:02   #43

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

I would relocate the main sheet to my right (assuming you are right handed) to enable quick slacking in wind gusts.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 06:14   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
I would relocate the main sheet to my right (assuming you are right handed) to enable quick slacking in wind gusts.
It would have to be whichever hand is not on the tiller unless I'm using the autohelm - but then I don't use that in questionable conditions.
Old 23-08-2018, 08:51   #45

Boat: Valiant 40
Pearson 26 extreme heel in a gust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
A "Yankee" is the name of a headsail, the forward one of two, when you have a "staysail" the inner one.

For illustration. A sistership of mine:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4619.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	175979

I find that I don’t fully furl the yankee until I’m in the second reef, but every boat is going to be different.

Tags
pearson