Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2018, 00:36   #61

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36
Re: Part 2 - Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406Columbia View Post
Thruska,

Thanks for the kind words, we still have a ways to go. Wow, amazing story on your boat what a score. Can you post a photo of her so we can check her out? Sailing sounds amazing and if we had the ability to be out there now we sure would love to.

We are looking forward to hitting some boat consignment shops next time we hit the coast. We tired to buy a sweet hard dinghy at our old marina but the owner never got back to us after many messages left. Really a bummer, but oh well.

Regarding boat people your spot on, we have met so many nice folks in the boat yard and marinas. Very helpful and patient just like here on the forums, always encouraging.

Cheers.
406, over to the left, at bottom of profile info....
Tap on the images number for some photos
Thank you !
Old 04-09-2018, 02:46   #62

Boat: Valiant 40

If you’re going to roll and tip the deck and cabin I’m going to suggest that you use particles for the nonskid. Stencil out the area, put down a fresh coat of paint, sprinkle the particles liberally all over, let dry, vacuum off the excess, another coat of paint on top to seal. If you end up spraying you can mix them right in the paint.

Makes for nonskid that is very effective, durable (if you’re using two part paint), is not too aggressive and is easy to clean.

As far as dinghies go, I swear it seems like every large marina I’ve ever been to has a rack or two of abandoned dinghies that they would love to get rid of.

You might want to start off without a windlass if only to simplify your power requirements. You could run the wires while doing the refit for later. You asked about low power units. I don’t think there is such a thing given what they do.

I would also hold off on the water maker until you’re certain you need it. A lot of people have circled the globe without one and they are expensive and take up space. I’d focus first on seeing what you can do to increase tankage. Bladders are a good thing to look into.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:51   #63

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

Quote:
Speaking of which, I need to start reading and watching YouTube videos on how to roll and tip topside paint on so we don't get streaks.
The guy at Boatworks Today on youtube has some very good videos on how to prime and paint...rolling and tipping.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...5rtVLTt0Cmteci
Old 04-09-2018, 04:15   #64

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Siren View Post
The guy at Boatworks Today on youtube has some very good videos on how to prime and paint...rolling and tipping.

He also covers using particles for nonskid as well.
Old 04-09-2018, 14:37   #65

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

Nice work 406Columbia!

You and your wife will be proud Skipper and Admiral when you launch!

Also, this is the kind of thing that the kids will remember for the rest of their lives. Good Stuff!

thanks for sharing.
Jim

Edit: almost forgot - Thank you for your service! you said deployed in an earlier post!
Old 04-09-2018, 17:12   #66

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
He also covers using particles for nonskid as well.
One of the non-skid particles he talked about, and used was "SoftSand". He seems impressed with it, and used it on a later project, I too will be using it when I get to doing my non-skid.
Old 04-09-2018, 20:39   #67

Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
cure is mask and spray
Last time I painted like that I used a 20 dollar Wagner airless worked great and just need to run some thinner through it afterwords.
While that does sound amazing, we don't have a compressor haha. SO...… yeah
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 20:59   #68
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
While that does sound amazing, we don't have a compressor haha. SO...… yeah
Reread. WAGNER AIRLESS SPRAY GUN.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:02   #69

We have several videos the wife will edit and we will try to post them up. But yesterday we moved the boat to a better location, closer to the house and easier to work on. SO that took a few hours since we had to drive the trailer part-way, then disconnect from the truck and winch it about 90 degrees. Our driveway and parking area are too small for me to turn around a 32-foot trailer. But we will be doing more dirt work and making more room eventually.

Anyway, pulled a bunch of gravel out of the trailer brakes and just got the trailer and boat situated. Ran to town to grab some more wood filler so we can hurry and finish the companionway and get some stain on that ASAP.

Today should be filling tons of holes with thickened epoxy and maybe two or three more patches. We also had a little issue with our stain from a few days ago, one of our doors wasn't quite dry and we flipped it on the saw horse. This left two slightly noticeable lines and we didn't really care for it. Some very light sanding with 320 and then 600 and another coat of stain and its looking beautiful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0127.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	433.0 KB
ID:	176863   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0123.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	440.0 KB
ID:	176864  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0121.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	432.5 KB
ID:	176865  
Old 05-09-2018, 12:04   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by thruska View Post
406, over to the left, at bottom of profile info....
Tap on the images number for some photos
Thank you !
Looks great! I guess whoever painted your boat also did ours, same color scheme. How does she sail?
Old 05-09-2018, 12:10   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
If you’re going to roll and tip the deck and cabin I’m going to suggest that you use particles for the nonskid. Stencil out the area, put down a fresh coat of paint, sprinkle the particles liberally all over, let dry, vacuum off the excess, another coat of paint on top to seal. If you end up spraying you can mix them right in the paint.

Makes for nonskid that is very effective, durable (if you’re using two part paint), is not too aggressive and is easy to clean.

As far as dinghies go, I swear it seems like every large marina I’ve ever been to has a rack or two of abandoned dinghies that they would love to get rid of.

You might want to start off without a windlass if only to simplify your power requirements. You could run the wires while doing the refit for later. You asked about low power units. I don’t think there is such a thing given what they do.

I would also hold off on the water maker until you’re certain you need it. A lot of people have circled the globe without one and they are expensive and take up space. I’d focus first on seeing what you can do to increase tankage. Bladders are a good thing to look into.
Thanks for the input, we will shop around for a used tender/dinghy the next time we are near a marina. Putting the particles into the paint seems like a good idea. Will look at a few of the suggestions here and choose one soon.

I think your right on the windlass, we had really looked at the manual Lofrans versions due to power restrictions. I haven seen any other manual versions yet but not under the gun for that. Just planning to plug that pre-existing hole up and start from scratch.
https://www.lofrans.com/product/4-Lo...ass/5015-royal

Regarding the water maker and tankage, we do want to add another tank right in the section of v-birth where we don't have storage currently. But a modest unit able to run off solar might be nice. I guess we will kind of play it by ear, not big rush. I am sure we could get away without a water maker, just really want something like the Katadyn 40 e but also looking at another option a member here sent us info on.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:11   #72

Quote:

Siren,

Thanks for the link, your a legend. I will watch this and look up the airless Wagner NewHaul mentioned. There must be a nice way to do it myself and save some boat bucks for other gadgets.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:14   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhulmer View Post
Nice work 406Columbia!

You and your wife will be proud Skipper and Admiral when you launch!

Also, this is the kind of thing that the kids will remember for the rest of their lives. Good Stuff!

thanks for sharing.
Jim

Edit: almost forgot - Thank you for your service! you said deployed in an earlier post!
Jim,

Thanks for the kind words, were trying to put her together and have fun at the same time. Looking forward to more adventures with the whole family. I think the reason the wife and I are so excited is we can see all the fun and time together now and what we expect on the water.

Thanks very much and yes I have deployed a few times and serving the Republic has been one of the biggest honors of my life. Semper Fi.

Dan
Old 05-09-2018, 12:15   #74

Quote:
One of the non-skid particles he talked about, and used was "SoftSand". He seems impressed with it, and used it on a later project, I too will be using it when I get to doing my non-skid.
I think I will order some of this, have seen this a few times now.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:17   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Reread. WAGNER AIRLESS SPRAY GUN.
Thanks for correcting me, I will check that out in store. Looks good to me and has great reviews on amazon. Seems like a nice price too, might paint up a few of my trailers with it first and see how it works then the boat.

Thanks!

Tags
columbia, grass, refit