Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2018, 12:37   #91

Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28
Re: Part 2 - Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains

So I spoke to a nice guy over at Beckson and he told me the 100% silicon is what they get the best results with. Doesn't react over time with the plastics and seals well, so that is what I will end up doing.

Got the port side frames in, now time for lunch and a margarita then the starboard side. That thickened epoxy is miracle glue, doesn't even drip! Also vacuumed out the entire boat, took about an hour with all the fiberglass dust and walnut blasting media.

Also, I ground down several of the patches thank goodness for the Makita belt sander.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0171.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	424.8 KB
ID:	177222   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0173.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	408.9 KB
ID:	177223  

Name:	DSC_0174.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	416.0 KB
ID:	177224   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0175.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	388.0 KB
ID:	177225  

Name:	DSC_0176.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	330.5 KB
ID:	177226  
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 14:02   #92

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Sikaflex is not sillycone.
Sikaflex is polyurethane base.
I do not recommend sillycone ...
Old 11-09-2018, 14:35   #93
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406Columbia View Post
So I spoke to a nice guy over at Beckson and he told me the 100% silicon is what they get the best results with. Doesn't react over time with the plastics and seals well, so that is what I will end up doing.

Got the port side frames in, now time for lunch and a margarita then the starboard side. That thickened epoxy is miracle glue, doesn't even drip! Also vacuumed out the entire boat, took about an hour with all the fiberglass dust and walnut blasting media.

Also, I ground down several of the patches thank goodness for the Makita belt sander.
trust me as a shipwright don't use that bane of the marine world silicone.
Sitka flex will do much better that or I would even say 4200 ( my personal favorite
Old 11-09-2018, 16:08   #94

thanks guy for the input spoke to another shipwright and he said he uses Sikaflex too, that's what they used on the other portlights. I have a tube or two on hand so I guess once we get it all painted (the cabin tops) and through bolted we will hit the old Sikaflex.
Old 11-09-2018, 16:35   #95

Boat: Dromor Athena 44

Although I’m only 1+ years into my refit I second the vote for butyl. You will have to remove the fittings at some point and butyl comes off very easy. It also doesn’t dry out in the tube, I have had my two rolls for over a year and they are still good as new. So far no leaks. I read some reports that some butyl doesn’t work as well as others. I heard good things about Colorimetrics and I have had good luck from the eBay seller elite_warehouse (no affiliation to me), in fact I just bought 2 more rolls even though shipping to SIngapore ain’t cheap. Remember to chamfer all screw holes with a counter sink bit as well to allow more sealant around the screws. Looks like you are doing a hell of a job, the pictures look great!
SpaceRnglr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 13:05   #96
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Best butyl, from Maine Sail

https://shop.marinehowto.com/products/bed-it-tape
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 08:35   #97

We got a bit of rain so I threw in the Beckson Newport's and put a bit of tape around the edges. Kept out the water out, so small victories. Also, our companionway slats had some rot in them, so water was coming in there as well. Had a piece of 3/4'' marine ply so I cut a single piece to replace the slats and hopefully keep out the rain.

Today or tomorrow I hope to patch the hole over the chain locker where the windlass fed the chain through. Also sand down the marine ply inside and outside the salon and get ready to glass in the frames.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0217.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	402.0 KB
ID:	177585   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0218.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	400.2 KB
ID:	177586  

Old 18-09-2018, 08:38   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceRnglr View Post
Although I’m only 1+ years into my refit I second the vote for butyl. You will have to remove the fittings at some point and butyl comes off very easy. It also doesn’t dry out in the tube, I have had my two rolls for over a year and they are still good as new. So far no leaks. I read some reports that some butyl doesn’t work as well as others. I heard good things about Colorimetrics and I have had good luck from the eBay seller elite_warehouse (no affiliation to me), in fact I just bought 2 more rolls even though shipping to SIngapore ain’t cheap. Remember to chamfer all screw holes with a counter sink bit as well to allow more sealant around the screws. Looks like you are doing a hell of a job, the pictures look great!

My concern with the butyl tape is that it may not react well over time with the plastics of the Beckson port lights. I wouldn't want any chemicals in the tape to damage the port lights.
Old 18-09-2018, 08:47   #99

Beckson makes a through bolting flush mount barrel nut. I was initially going to just use stainless screws but believe it will be stronger with barrel nuts. I can counter sink them and still get the outer trim ring to sit flush.

Should look nice and be way stronger. Actually, I will likely do this for all the other five portlights to increase the strength. The guy who installed those first five for us in the boat yard did an okay job but now I will clean them up and make them stronger.
Old 22-09-2018, 19:22   #100

Well we have been busy on all fronts. Built a new support for the trailer so the jack doesn't freeze into the ground come winter, should we need to move it. Got all the varnish primer on the interior pieces that can come out, three coats. Went on very nicely and re coating was a breeze.

Glassed over and filled every last hole on the boat, not one single hole remains! Ground down several and many to go, but progress. The companion was sliders were not sealed well and water was getting in, so we sealed them all up with thickened epoxy.

Sanded down all the frames on the inside of the salon, didn't want the 90 degree edges. Then painted on epoxy on the interior of the wood, test fit everything again.

I think we have a line on some free solar panels but will get out and look at them tomorrow. Hopefully they are decent, also comes with a Xantrex set up but its a bit big for the boat. More like big house size, so we shall see.

Our internet is crawling the last several days so back logged on posting photos. But mainly just hoping to get the exterior of the frames glassed in before the cold weather sets in here in the mountains. All the other stuff can wait or get done over the winter.

Had really hoped to prep and paint the deck but doesn't look like that will happen as we are running out of time.
Old 22-09-2018, 19:44   #101

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Quote:
Well we have been busy on all fronts. Built a new support for the trailer so the jack doesn't freeze into the ground come winter, should we need to move it. Got all the varnish primer on the interior pieces that can come out, three coats. Went on very nicely and re coating was a breeze.

Glassed over and filled every last hole on the boat, not one single hole remains! Ground down several and many to go, but progress. The companion was sliders were not sealed well and water was getting in, so we sealed them all up with thickened epoxy.

Sanded down all the frames on the inside of the salon, didn't want the 90 degree edges. Then painted on epoxy on the interior of the wood, test fit everything again.

I think we have a line on some free solar panels but will get out and look at them tomorrow. Hopefully they are decent, also comes with a Xantrex set up but its a bit big for the boat. More like big house size, so we shall see.

Our internet is crawling the last several days so back logged on posting photos. But mainly just hoping to get the exterior of the frames glassed in before the cold weather sets in here in the mountains. All the other stuff can wait or get done over the winter.

Had really hoped to prep and paint the deck but doesn't look like that will happen as we are running out of time.
Having lived there I understand winter comes fast. Keep her dry!

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 19:54   #102
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

seal her up good there's snow coming your way in the next few days .
Old 23-09-2018, 12:52   #103

thanks guys, got a few good tarps and hoping to get the frames glassed but fingers crossed.
Old 24-09-2018, 11:33   #104

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
I second this. I bought two rolls and have used it on my boats and on friends boats. Good stuff.

Also, thought I'd mention a reminder to winterize the engine raw water. There is probably some residual water in the exchanger and water lift muffler.
Old 24-09-2018, 12:22   #105
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhulmer View Post
I second this. I bought two rolls and have used it on my boats and on friends boats. Good stuff.

Also, thought I'd mention a reminder to winterize the engine raw water. There is probably some residual water in the exchanger and water lift muffler.
Thats good advice for most boats but his Columbia is not lucky enough to have a good inboard in it he has an outboard engine in a well.

Tags
columbia, grass, refit