Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2021, 02:48   #766
Registered User
 
Greatest Lakes's Avatar

Join Date: May 2021
Location: Michigan
Boat: Columbia 9.6, Hunter Cherubini 37, Jeanneau 57
Posts: 354
Images: 3
Re: Part 2 - Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains

I wish my bow was so clean. I'm going to have to make an entirely new bow assembly too. I need some kind of bow roller, and smoother, less sharp, components to lead out my dock lines. This seems like the largest, most glaring omission on my 9.6. Oh well. I should learn to weld stainless anyhow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180930_142259.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	423.5 KB
ID:	240872   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180930_142252.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	409.6 KB
ID:	240873  

Greatest Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2021, 21:46   #767
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2018
Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28
Posts: 981
Re: Part 2 - Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest Lakes View Post
I wish my bow was so clean. I'm going to have to make an entirely new bow assembly too. I need some kind of bow roller, and smoother, less sharp, components to lead out my dock lines. This seems like the largest, most glaring omission on my 9.6. Oh well. I should

learn to weld stainless anyhow.

If I had any sense I would have just bolted one of these on the front end and been done with it.



406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2021, 21:48   #768
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2018
Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28
Posts: 981
Re: Part 2 - Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest Lakes View Post
I wish my bow was so clean. I'm going to have to make an entirely new bow assembly too. I need some kind of bow roller, and smoother, less sharp, components to lead out my dock lines. This seems like the largest, most glaring omission on my 9.6. Oh well. I should learn to weld stainless anyhow.



That looks real nice
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2021, 22:11   #769
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 12,237
Re: Part 2 - Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406Columbia View Post
If I had any sense I would have just bolted one of these on the front end and been done with it.



That is whatim considering if my build don't go well .
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2021, 03:47   #770
Registered User
 
Greatest Lakes's Avatar

Join Date: May 2021
Location: Michigan
Boat: Columbia 9.6, Hunter Cherubini 37, Jeanneau 57
Posts: 354
Images: 3
Re: Part 2 - Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains

If I thought I had room up front without making it look like a hatchet job, I probably would. I don't care for the whole assembly I have up there. I want to redo it with smooth rope fairings, Bow roller, and move the lights, maybe do a pair of the flush lights on the hull. I'm also planning to replace my Michigan 2 blade fixed prop with a flexofold, and my barlow winches with Andersen self tailing. Nothing really wrong with the prop, but I can feel it on the Rudder disturbing the water, and the wife would be safer with the self tailing winch, not sure how long my barlows will last, they are feeling their age. I looked at Harken stuff, but it was more expensive, made of cheaper materials, and had far too much plastic for me. The Andersen is mostly 316 stainless and a bit less expensive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180930_142259.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	423.5 KB
ID:	240965   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180930_142252.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	409.6 KB
ID:	240966  

Greatest Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2021, 08:32   #771
Moderator
 
Don C L's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Channel Islands, CA
Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Posts: 14,691
Images: 66
Re: Part 2 - Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406Columbia View Post
Welding and bending a little. Was unable to locate pre bent little elbows to make the anchor platform look really nice so this is what I got. Not sure if I mentioned but got the strike plate installed. Got a new sink on the way for the galley as well, cant wait.
It's all looking great! I'd love to have your pushpit! Mine still is ok for hoisting the engine, but I like how stout yours is! I'm curious what the fitting is for in the middle of the X there?
__________________
DL
Pythagoras
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 20:25   #772
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2018
Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28
Posts: 981
Re: Part 2 - Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
That is whatim considering if my build don't go well .

haha, I have a feeling whatever you build will come out strong and beautiful.
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 20:32   #773
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2018
Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28
Posts: 981
Re: Part 2 - Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest Lakes View Post
If I thought I had room up front without making it look like a hatchet job, I probably would. I don't care for the whole assembly I have up there. I want to redo it with smooth rope fairings, Bow roller, and move the lights, maybe do a pair of the flush lights on the hull. I'm also planning to replace my Michigan 2 blade fixed prop with a flexofold, and my barlow winches with Andersen self tailing. Nothing really wrong with the prop, but I can feel it on the Rudder disturbing the water, and the wife would be safer with the self tailing winch, not sure how long my barlows will last, they are feeling their age. I looked at Harken stuff, but it was more expensive, made of cheaper materials, and had far too much plastic for me. The Andersen is mostly 316 stainless and a bit less expensive.

Smooth rope fairing sounds essential. Trying to steal ideas from folks with lots of experience so we can learn from them. I think that is a great aspect of this site. Having a flexofold sounds amazing, if I had a diesel I would not hesitate to get something like that. Then you have an extra prop anyway. Self tailing sounds amazing too, I saw a few Anderson and they were beautiful pieces.
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 20:39   #774
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2018
Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28
Posts: 981
Re: Part 2 - Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
It's all looking great! I'd love to have your pushpit! Mine still is ok for hoisting the engine, but I like how stout yours is! I'm curious what the fitting is for in the middle of the X there?



Glad we found pushpit at Minniey's. Sometimes you find some real gems at that place. I think it was for a light since we pulled out the last bit of electrical cable when I was cleaning it up. I must say I'm not excited to try and polish that piece all up.
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 21:01   #775
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 12,237
Re: Part 2 - Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406Columbia View Post
Glad we found pushpit at Minniey's. Sometimes you find some real gems at that place. I think it was for a light since we pulled out the last bit of electrical cable when I was cleaning it up. I must say I'm not excited to try and polish that piece all up.
Bar keepers friend in powder form
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 20:59   #776
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2018
Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28
Posts: 981
Re: Part 2 - Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Bar keepers friend in powder form
Picked some up, I had previously used Bon Ami and it was far to abrasive and actually dulled the polished stainless. Thanks for the tip.

Finally got the hole cut out for the new sink, was difficult with the fiddles in place. Rolled out a coat of primer on the salon seating and got started on the quarter birth. All the doors for the lockers are all off as well as the quarter birth platforms, primed and painted them. Just seems to take forever. Since we had extra and it's so thick we are using epoxy barrier coat for the inside of the lockers and quarter birth platforms. Then putting some topside paint on that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210707_155221.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	423.8 KB
ID:	241823   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210709_145236.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	423.7 KB
ID:	241824  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210709_162623.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	417.1 KB
ID:	241825   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210709_162636.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	412.9 KB
ID:	241826  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210709_165827.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	408.2 KB
ID:	241827   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210709_165855.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	403.0 KB
ID:	241828  

406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 08:34   #777
Registered User
 
Greatest Lakes's Avatar

Join Date: May 2021
Location: Michigan
Boat: Columbia 9.6, Hunter Cherubini 37, Jeanneau 57
Posts: 354
Images: 3
Re: Part 2 - Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains

That looks good 406. Makes me think about doing something with my countertops. Right now they clean up alright, but they oxidize and get dirty easily.. I wonder if that epoxy stuff would adhere alright to the formica. Oh. And I bought and installed a pair of Andersen 40 winches. A good deal more grunt than my barlows.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210703_152325.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	408.8 KB
ID:	241862   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210703_132918.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	430.6 KB
ID:	241863  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180706_173427.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	405.0 KB
ID:	241864  
Greatest Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 22:25   #778
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2018
Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28
Posts: 981
Re: Part 2 - Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest Lakes View Post
That looks good 406. Makes me think about doing something with my countertops. Right now they clean up alright, but they oxidize and get dirty easily.. I wonder if that epoxy stuff would adhere alright to the formica. Oh. And I bought and installed a pair of Andersen 40 winches. A good deal more grunt than my barlows.

Those are some beautiful winches, lots of power. I'm not sure about the epoxy, but darn if it's not strong.
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2021, 07:23   #779
Moderator
 
Don C L's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Channel Islands, CA
Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Posts: 14,691
Images: 66
Re: Part 2 - Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains

Boat's looking great!

After a couple weeks now of hopping around the islands (about 140 miles of motoring) with the new Tohatsu 9.8 and power prop I can report that I got great mileage (about 8 mpg at about 5.7 knots or a little less than a gallon per hour), had way more power than I needed (more than half throttle was just a waste since I was already going 5.8 knots at about a third throttle), and no hiccups. I can put two 6 gallon and a 3 gallon tank in the lazarette, so that was plenty! The only fly in the ointment is that the flow through power prop gets clogged easily if you motor through a mass of kelp. You have to stop, pull up the engine and clean it out so it's important to have a mount like mine that allows you to get at the prop when needed. I had to clean it when the boat was pitching, so if you have a mount that requires you to tilt the engine up, it will be really hard to reach the prop to work on. I got a good deal on this engine but if I were to do it again and was going to buy new I'd probably go with an 8 hp with the power prop option. Maybe that helps in your engine planning, if you are going with the outboard. Functionally, I love it but I'll be the first to concede it does not at all look attractive.
__________________
DL
Pythagoras
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2021, 07:34   #780
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 12,237
Re: Part 2 - Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Boat's looking great!

After a couple weeks now of hopping around the islands (about 140 miles of motoring) with the new Tohatsu 9.8 and power prop I can report that I got great mileage (about 8 mpg at about 5.7 knots or a little less than a gallon per hour), had way more power than I needed (more than half throttle was just a waste since I was already going 5.8 knots at about a third throttle), and no hiccups. I can put two 6 gallon and a 3 gallon tank in the lazarette, so that was plenty! The only fly in the ointment is that the flow through power prop gets clogged easily if you motor through a mass of kelp. You have to stop, pull up the engine and clean it out so it's important to have a mount like mine that allows you to get at the prop when needed. I got a good deal on this engine but if I were to do it again and was going to buy new I'd probably go with an 8 hp with the power prop option. Maybe that helps in your engine planning, if you are going with the outboard. Functionally, I love it but I'll be the first to concede it does not at all look attractive.
Great assessment thanks for posting it.

On another note I take it you don't want my 9.9 suzuki electric start now
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
columbia, grass, refit

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains 406Columbia Monohull Sailboats 234 01-09-2018 14:24
Hello from the Rocky Mountains ! Matt Arian Meets & Greets 19 12-11-2011 11:30
Howdy from the Rocky Mountains - Twenty Years of Snow Is Enough ! 10000ftwelder Meets & Greets 4 29-12-2010 19:05
Puerto Penasco a.k.a Rocky Point markpj23 General Sailing Forum 0 16-02-2007 11:41
Rocky Mountain High rjthecableguy Meets & Greets 5 02-04-2005 01:59

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:21.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.