Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2021, 21:49   #706

Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28
Re: Part 2 - Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Wow! Thanks, yeah that is plenty of room for the extra chain I have.

Under the steps where the engine usually is, is where my two 6-volt T-105 batteries sit, and a there is room for a spare (12 volt) that I'll likely put there for my new electric/pull start outboard I got. Otherwise I don't know what else to put in there. Something light and long makes sense. I have a spare tiller in there. But I kinda like having quick and easy access to get in there to see the thru-hull (only one in my case) and down into the keel void to see if any water is in there (none yet, still bone dry.)

It's funny, that hatch you opened up in the bow under the v-berth; in my boat the previous owner poured in plaster of Paris and filled up that space with about 100 lbs of it! Presumably that was to balance out the engine so far aft, and it does do that, which is necessary, but that would be a good place to store a hundred pounds of extra chain instead methinks.

Boat's looking great!

Yeah I was thinking that the two LifePo batteries would fit well in the spot. Spare tiller also, may make a bracket to store it. With 200' of chain and some nylon rode I suppose The two would balance each other out.

That sounds like a ton of plaster of paris. The space it opened up for us is significant. Having the water tank in that location is a great idea as tankage is limited. I don't know how many gallons our factory tank is, but more is better. Obviously putting in our water maker will help us stay ahead but having more storage makes me happy.

Don, you going to tear out the plaster of paris? Put the chain in that spot instead?
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 21:51   #707

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
So when is the conversion TOOLS going to happen .
250ah for under 600.

WHOA! what type of battery? I would love to add another 100ah of lifepo to my bank, not cheap.
Old 03-04-2021, 21:55   #708

Quote:
That is where the original owner of the Stephfen Ulysses had a 35 gallon water tank added . It offsets the 30gallons of fuel under the cockpit .

That is a great combo. I keep eyeing diesels smaller diesel engines and dreaming. But it sure is nice to have the outboard at this stage, seems to have served Don well too. But having a diesel is appealing. A guy we spoke with last week had a formosa 36 he wanted to junk or sell, needs major work....BUT he spent the money awhile ago to put in a brand new Volvo 28 HP diesel. I had a few crazy thoughts about that let me tell you. Had 40 hours on it.
Old 03-04-2021, 21:57   #709

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerC View Post
Wonderful work, as always, and inspiring -- I happen to be working on a boat in sight of the Rockies as well, as it turns out.

Under the companionway I might be tempted to stash the ditch bag.

Hi Roger, thanks. We got inspired by lots of folks here, it really motivates you to do crazy things. What kind of boat are you working on?
Old 03-04-2021, 22:20   #710

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406Columbia View Post
Yeah I was thinking that the two LifePo batteries would fit well in the spot. Spare tiller also, may make a bracket to store it. With 200' of chain and some nylon rode I suppose The two would balance each other out.

That sounds like a ton of plaster of paris. The space it opened up for us is significant. Having the water tank in that location is a great idea as tankage is limited. I don't know how many gallons our factory tank is, but more is better. Obviously putting in our water maker will help us stay ahead but having more storage makes me happy.

Don, you going to tear out the plaster of paris? Put the chain in that spot instead?
I'm going to leave that space full of plaster for the time being. I actually prefer to find a good home for the chain in the bilge right now and see how the trim is and if she's noticeably less tender. My old friend who's a rigger keeps bugging me to add lead ingots but I said I'd rather have chain in there if I am going to be adding ballast. 200 feet of 1/4" is about 160 lbs, so it's not a whole lot, so we'll see. As far as weight too, my new engine, a four stroke, is about 25 lbs heavier than my old 2 stroke, so that hanging off the stern also prompted me to add chain to the rode in the bow. It's a Tohatsu 9.8, 6 years old but like new, only has a few hours on it, and it's all checked out now and I added a four bladed power prop, confirmed by the local prop expert to be "exactly the one" I want. I can't wait to try it out and see what kind of fuel economy I'll get now. BTW for all those in the Ventura/Channel Islands area, when you need anything related to props, I can recommend Valley Propeller Service.
As far as water, I don't use the water in the bilge tank much at all, just hand washing and brushing teeth. I prefer to leave that in there as ballast as long as I can. I have a 5 gallon jug that lives on the cabin sole under the V-berth bunk and that lasts me and the kids quite a while for baths and dish rinsing. I also load the chemical sprayer tank or tanks before we leave for the first couple of showers. Water for cooking and drinking is bottled water that is stowed in the bow under the V-berth, but we don't use much because I don't cook any meals that have a high water (or energy) demand like spaghetti. We bring a lot of bottled juices and soy milk so the bottled water is usually just for my coffee or for soups or for the poached eggs. We can go 2 weeks that way and it seems all ok. There are a couple places at the islands where I can restock the fresh water if I need to, but haven't had to yet. I have a heavy vinyl tarp that goes around a square PVC frame that hangs in the cockpit. It is surprisingly good at keeping the breeze out and keeping somewhat warm while bathing. The kids soap up with a brackish mix of sea water and a hot tea kettle of fresh water. Then they get the warm freshwater rinse from the chemical sprayer. It is pretty surprising how little water it takes, even for my daughter with her long hair to rinse. The tarp opens to the companionway so they make the dash into the boat to change into dry clothes. No one in the anchorage notices, though my kids are sure they are peeking.
Dishes get washed in a brackish mix too and get a fresh rinse. So I may have described all this before, sorry if I have, but just to give you a feel for one way to handle the water/energy demands.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 22:23   #711

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

A 28 hp diesel for our boats? Wow... just wow
YOu can make a little extra money towing boats and barges around.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 05:50   #712

Boat: Tartan 40

I have a Kubota z482 from a nextgen generator with 599 hours that I will be selling. Just needs a tranny. But I’m in Maryland [emoji3]
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 08:16   #713
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
WHOA! what type of battery? I would love to add another 100ah of lifepo to my bank, not cheap.
Detailed in my refit thread
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3063595
Old 04-04-2021, 08:18   #714
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
That is a great combo. I keep eyeing diesels smaller diesel engines and dreaming. But it sure is nice to have the outboard at this stage, seems to have served Don well too. But having a diesel is appealing. A guy we spoke with last week had a formosa 36 he wanted to junk or sell, needs major work....BUT he spent the money awhile ago to put in a brand new Volvo 28 HP diesel. I had a few crazy thoughts about that let me tell you. Had 40 hours on it.
I know exactly where a couple of saildrives are at that the Volvo would work nicely on .
Old 04-04-2021, 21:31   #715

Quote:
I'm going to leave that space full of plaster for the time being. I actually prefer to find a good home for the chain in the bilge right now and see how the trim is and if she's noticeably less tender. My old friend who's a rigger keeps bugging me to add lead ingots but I said I'd rather have chain in there if I am going to be adding ballast. 200 feet of 1/4" is about 160 lbs, so it's not a whole lot, so we'll see. As far as weight too, my new engine, a four stroke, is about 25 lbs heavier than my old 2 stroke, so that hanging off the stern also prompted me to add chain to the rode in the bow. It's a Tohatsu 9.8, 6 years old but like new, only has a few hours on it, and it's all checked out now and I added a four bladed power prop, confirmed by the local prop expert to be "exactly the one" I want. I can't wait to try it out and see what kind of fuel economy I'll get now. BTW for all those in the Ventura/Channel Islands area, when you need anything related to props, I can recommend Valley Propeller Service.
As far as water, I don't use the water in the bilge tank much at all, just hand washing and brushing teeth. I prefer to leave that in there as ballast as long as I can. I have a 5 gallon jug that lives on the cabin sole under the V-berth bunk and that lasts me and the kids quite a while for baths and dish rinsing. I also load the chemical sprayer tank or tanks before we leave for the first couple of showers. Water for cooking and drinking is bottled water that is stowed in the bow under the V-berth, but we don't use much because I don't cook any meals that have a high water (or energy) demand like spaghetti. We bring a lot of bottled juices and soy milk so the bottled water is usually just for my coffee or for soups or for the poached eggs. We can go 2 weeks that way and it seems all ok. There are a couple places at the islands where I can restock the fresh water if I need to, but haven't had to yet. I have a heavy vinyl tarp that goes around a square PVC frame that hangs in the cockpit. It is surprisingly good at keeping the breeze out and keeping somewhat warm while bathing. The kids soap up with a brackish mix of sea water and a hot tea kettle of fresh water. Then they get the warm freshwater rinse from the chemical sprayer. It is pretty surprising how little water it takes, even for my daughter with her long hair to rinse. The tarp opens to the companionway so they make the dash into the boat to change into dry clothes. No one in the anchorage notices, though my kids are sure they are peeking.
Dishes get washed in a brackish mix too and get a fresh rinse. So I may have described all this before, sorry if I have, but just to give you a feel for one way to handle the water/energy demands.

New motor sounds great, kinda the same deal for ours. A couple year old but not used more than a coupe hours. More power too, sounds great. I appreciate all the tips for making a boat our size work and work well.
Old 04-04-2021, 21:33   #716

Quote:
A 28 hp diesel for our boats? Wow... just wow
YOu can make a little extra money towing boats and barges around.

Well yeah, it might be a tad more power than our boat needs. You cant beat free and new though can you?
Old 04-04-2021, 21:37   #717

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
I have a Kubota z482 from a nextgen generator with 599 hours that I will be selling. Just needs a tranny. But I’m in Maryland [emoji3]

Well haha it could be further away I suppose.
Old 04-04-2021, 21:38   #718

Quote:
Hi Roger, thanks. We got inspired by lots of folks here, it really motivates you to do crazy things. What kind of boat are you working on?
I've got a 1978 Venture of Newport 23 which really is in pretty good shape. Drove it down from Golden to Calgary.
RogerC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 21:39   #719

Quote:
I know exactly where a couple of saildrives are at that the Volvo would work nicely on .

I bet you do! I feel like you can find pretty much anything boat.
Old 04-04-2021, 21:55   #720

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerC View Post
I've got a 1978 Venture of Newport 23 which really is in pretty good shape. Drove it down from Golden to Calgary.

I had to look it up, cool looking boat.

Tags
columbia, grass, refit