Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2020, 20:12   #661
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2018
Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28
Posts: 981
Re: Part 2 - Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
Great seeing your updates. Your project is progressing nicely. Those EVO 40’s are a big winch for a 29 footer but one never hears complaints about too large a winch!
Thanks, it's taken a long time but we are pleased with how it will function and look when done. The winch bases we got with the boat will barely fit the EVO 30, so I will need to fab something up for the two EVO 40's. They are a touch big haha, but as you say few ever complain about the next size up.

On the current winch bases anyone have any concerns or feedback on the base being so close in size to the mount? Is this something that needs to be much larger or does it look sufficient? Appreciate the feedback everyone. I will obviously need to drill new holes and need to located the studs or mounting hardware.

Also, there is a little piece of cardboard in between the gears, is this normal? I assume from the factory to prevent damage in transit but was curious. Overall very pleased with the look and lower profile from the Ocean series and ease of taking apart without tools.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0216.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	407.0 KB
ID:	228597   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0215.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	403.9 KB
ID:	228598  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0004.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	433.7 KB
ID:	228599   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0003.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	408.5 KB
ID:	228600  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0002.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	403.5 KB
ID:	228601   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0001.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	432.8 KB
ID:	228602  

406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 22:13   #662
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2018
Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28
Posts: 981
Re: Part 2 - Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains

Took a couple months off boat work to finish another project (a truck camper). Back on track now, test fitting more port-lights and final install of the Lewmar 60 and Lewmar 30 Ocean hatches. Ended up using Bed It Tape after some recommendations here.

One issue I had with the Bed It Tape brand butyl tape is how thin it is. Needed to go three layers thick to get a proper seal. The width was perfect but it was awfully thin compared to the Dicor butyl tape I used on our truck camper. Luckily I have several rolls left over so i may use that going forward on the boat. This may be a very specific problem to the Lewmar Ocean series hatches as a result of the depth of the channel for sealant but it was a surprise.

Also, more fairing and still more fairing. Finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and am now complete with the salon area and the head. Only need to finish the hanging locker and V-birth.

Masking tape around the large salon port-lights is to protect the cabin trunk paint from priming the inside. Also preparing to lay on a few pieces of glass tape to reinforce damaged tabbing. Sanding overhead is one of my least favorite things to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210122_114735.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	419.3 KB
ID:	230926   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210122_114750.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	423.7 KB
ID:	230927  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210122_114808.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	404.5 KB
ID:	230928   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210122_114813.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	412.9 KB
ID:	230929  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210122_153005.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	403.1 KB
ID:	230930   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210122_153016.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	401.6 KB
ID:	230931  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210122_153023.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	413.7 KB
ID:	230932  
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 09:17   #663
Registered User
 
Orion Jim's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Noank, Ct. USA
Boat: Cape Dory 31
Posts: 3,211
Images: 8
Re: Part 2 - Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains

Fantastic. You will be so happy you took the time and effort to do things properly once she’s in the water.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 09:35   #664
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 12,237
Re: Part 2 - Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406Columbia View Post
Took a couple months off boat work to finish another project (a truck camper). Back on track now, test fitting more port-lights and final install of the Lewmar 60 and Lewmar 30 Ocean hatches. Ended up using Bed It Tape after some recommendations here.

One issue I had with the Bed It Tape brand butyl tape is how thin it is. Needed to go three layers thick to get a proper seal. The width was perfect but it was awfully thin compared to the Dicor butyl tape I used on our truck camper. Luckily I have several rolls left over so i may use that going forward on the boat. This may be a very specific problem to the Lewmar Ocean series hatches as a result of the depth of the channel for sealant but it was a surprise.

Also, more fairing and still more fairing. Finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and am now complete with the salon area and the head. Only need to finish the hanging locker and V-birth.

Masking tape around the large salon port-lights is to protect the cabin trunk paint from priming the inside. Also preparing to lay on a few pieces of glass tape to reinforce damaged tabbing. Sanding overhead is one of my least favorite things to do.
Really looking good . Now the only question is will you finish first ? Or will I finally get my new engine installed.
I'm betting on you .
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 09:44   #665
Moderator
 
Don C L's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Channel Islands, CA
Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Posts: 14,691
Images: 66
Re: Part 2 - Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains

Awesome! I'm just trying to get my stern cleaned up and a new hatch made and THAT is taking me forever. I see you cut into the bulwarks in the bow for hawseholes. Did you find some bronze or stainless ones to fit there? Did you already show those and I missed it?
__________________
DL
Pythagoras
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 09:46   #666
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 12,237
Re: Part 2 - Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Awesome! I'm just trying to get my stern cleaned up and a new hatch made and THAT is taking me forever. I see you cut into the bulwarks in the bow for hawseholes. Did you find some bronze or stainless ones to fit there? Did you already show those and I missed it?
Why not cast some . They are not cheap to purchase.
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 09:51   #667
Moderator
 
Don C L's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Channel Islands, CA
Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Posts: 14,691
Images: 66
Re: Part 2 - Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Why not cast some . They are not cheap to purchase.
Ahh if I only had a shop... or a garage with a little more room!
__________________
DL
Pythagoras
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 21:41   #668
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2018
Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28
Posts: 981
Re: Part 2 - Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
Fantastic. You will be so happy you took the time and effort to do things properly once she’s in the water.

Thanks Jim, doing the best we can with time and resources available.
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 21:49   #669
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2018
Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28
Posts: 981
Re: Part 2 - Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Really looking good . Now the only question is will you finish first ? Or will I finally get my new engine installed.
I'm betting on you .
Ahh who knows, what kind of new engine are you going to install? The sickness in me has been thinking about an inboard diesel haha. Thankfully the sailpro Tohatsu we have is like new and runs well. Speaking of which I need to adjust the shifter linkage and install a new impeller.

Also, made it into Minnie's today for the first time in over a year! I was hoping I wouldn't have to fabricate winch bases and find something new or used. Well we did and it fits our Evo 40's with a little room to spare. Will end up blasting them, plug welding all the holes up and then re-drill and polish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0238.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	435.2 KB
ID:	231051   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0239.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	432.4 KB
ID:	231052  

406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 21:56   #670
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2018
Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28
Posts: 981
Re: Part 2 - Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Awesome! I'm just trying to get my stern cleaned up and a new hatch made and THAT is taking me forever. I see you cut into the bulwarks in the bow for hawseholes. Did you find some bronze or stainless ones to fit there? Did you already show those and I missed it?
We have some stainless fittings we intend to use. i will post up a few pictures when I test fit. I think I might actually have a couple extras if you need some, will have to check.

You have any pictures of your stern? I think I also found a stern rail or pushpit. Not sure what it came off but it looks like it may fit and would save an incredible amount of time. Then all I need to do is add mounts for solar and surfboards, maybe an outboard bracket.

Anyway more projects.
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 22:42   #671
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 12,237
Re: Part 2 - Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406Columbia View Post
Ahh who knows, what kind of new engine are you going to install? The sickness in me has been thinking about an inboard diesel haha. Thankfully the sailpro Tohatsu we have is like new and runs well. Speaking of which I need to adjust the shifter linkage and install a new impeller.

Also, made it into Minnie's today for the first time in over a year! I was hoping I wouldn't have to fabricate winch bases and find something new or used. Well we did and it fits our Evo 40's with a little room to spare. Will end up blasting them, plug welding all the holes up and then re-drill and polish.
A little red sewing machine fell into my lap
M10-two
https://youtu.be/KJFi9UYXe-k
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200915_120923.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	445.7 KB
ID:	231053  
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 09:49   #672
Moderator
 
Don C L's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Channel Islands, CA
Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Posts: 14,691
Images: 66
Re: Part 2 - Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406Columbia View Post
We have some stainless fittings we intend to use. i will post up a few pictures when I test fit. I think I might actually have a couple extras if you need some, will have to check.

You have any pictures of your stern? I think I also found a stern rail or pushpit. Not sure what it came off but it looks like it may fit and would save an incredible amount of time. Then all I need to do is add mounts for solar and surfboards, maybe an outboard bracket.

Anyway more projects.
Ah! Minney's is open now? That's a candy store for me, I better avoid it!

I took apart my outboard mount/hoist and replaced a few parts. it's good for another 40 years I guess now.

Starting one project leads to tremendous temptations to start others, and resistance to putting the original (maybe not so pretty) fittings back on... I am trying to control myself so I don't get over my skis! I really want her back sailing soon!

I share this picture only to help you (and everyone else viewing here) feel REALLY good about the work you are doing! I am taking everything off the stern to paint it before I put them back on. Note the sledge hammer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat stern.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	231087  
__________________
DL
Pythagoras
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 10:43   #673
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 12,237
Re: Part 2 - Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Ah! Minney's is open now? That's a candy store for me, I better avoid it!

I took apart my outboard mount/hoist and replaced a few parts. it's good for another 40 years I guess now.

Starting one project leads to tremendous temptations to start others, and resistance to putting the original (maybe not so pretty) fittings back on... I am trying to control myself so I don't get over my skis! I really want her back sailing soon!

I share this picture only to help you (and everyone else viewing here) feel REALLY good about the work you are doing! I am taking everything off the stern to paint it before I put them back on. Note the sledge hammer.
Ditch the outboard and go zephyr
https://olympic.craigslist.org/bpo/d...264210467.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00404_DoiC8qEaGf_0gl0t2_1200x900.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	231111  
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 17:30   #674
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2018
Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28
Posts: 981
Re: Part 2 - Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post



Never heard of one of those.
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 18:18   #675
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 12,237
Re: Part 2 - Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406Columbia View Post
Never heard of one of those.
Predecessor to the new saildrives .
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
columbia, grass, refit

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains 406Columbia Monohull Sailboats 234 01-09-2018 14:24
Hello from the Rocky Mountains ! Matt Arian Meets & Greets 19 12-11-2011 11:30
Howdy from the Rocky Mountains - Twenty Years of Snow Is Enough ! 10000ftwelder Meets & Greets 4 29-12-2010 19:05
Puerto Penasco a.k.a Rocky Point markpj23 General Sailing Forum 0 16-02-2007 11:41
Rocky Mountain High rjthecableguy Meets & Greets 5 02-04-2005 01:59

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:45.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.