Well there has been a lot of work
completed, but it doesn't look like much. Took everything out of the mast head
, cleaned and re-assembled. In all cases with new hardware and where dissimilar metal are mated with Tef-Gel liberally applied. Added, the Schaefer 5 series ball bearing hinged blocks. Still need to add one more, but made some backing blocks out of .5'' starboard. This is a sleek option for us with the mast off instead of using blocks mounted to the deck or cabin
Completed tons of stain work on the interior
wood and lots more fairing was done. Few more areas to fill and re-fair but approaching completion then barrier coat and primer followed by paint
Need to weld up a piece for the top of the mast to facilitate a halyard
for a gennaker
. It will also house the tri-color light as well as the wind
instrument for our Raymarine
package. We did however mount the VHF antenna
, but didn't run the cables
as we plan to do them all at the same time.
Still need to buy a steaming light to mount near the spreaders that includes a deck light. Looking like the Marine
Beams light or the American made version whose names escapes me right now. Hard to find one with LED that gets decent reviews
The L shaped bracket you see in the photos was already on the mast but the hardware holding it on broke off during my attempt at removal
. It was still holding fast after many attempts to remove the hardware and bracket. Ended up having to hit it with the mini torch for several minutes then hitting it with a wood chisel and mallet to free it. Was two layers of paint or adhesive
, one green and one white. Glad to finally have removed it, shaped it and then applied Tef-Gel and remounted.
The stainless brackets originally holding the uppers and lowers in place were not fit all that well. Obviously they held for many years without issue but it wasn't beautiful or ideal for load distribution. Some sanding
shows we were able to get the plates to properly fit against the body of the mast.
I did increase the length of the small bolt at the very top of the mast on the bracket for stays. I was told by the rigger we need at least .25'' protrusion for safety
. Also, planning to reduce the length of the machine screws holding the hinged blocks by about a quarter inch or more to reduce potential of snagging of wires through the mast.
Sanded the vent bases level and then added another layer of foam the the outside edges, then level again and glass. Last thing, we reused the aluminum VHF
bracket because it was so stout compared to the new stainless bracket that came with out antenna
. Additionally, we prefer to avoid dissimilar metals when possible. Mast is aluminum
and new bracket was stainless.