Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2019, 19:09   #361

Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28
Re: Part 2 - Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
This table indicates that the flow rate through 1” pipe at normal gravity will be 16 gallons per minute. This seems accurate in my experience.
Also, my cockpit drains (2) are both 1 1/2”. I would never rely on anything smaller though it is my experience that, in a pooping situation, the rough seas and the motion of the boat has a tendency to throw out a good portion of the water before it has a chance to drain.....which is the dubious plus side of a large sea state.
Thanks for that table, perhaps upgrading to two 1.5'' drains wouldn't be a bad idea. We will have to consider this, 16 GPM x2 at 32 GPM isn't as fast as we would like even though as you mention much may be thrown overboard already. I guess the other end of the spectrum is having a bigger hole should it ever fail means the opposite lol more water into the boat. Guess I just need to make sure to get quality and super good install haha.
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 19:10   #362

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
one of the many upgrades done for the Stephfen Ulysses (prior the SV Don't Panic.)
is that the deck drains are 2 inch .
wow, 2'' is serious.
Old 30-12-2019, 19:19   #363

while I'm taking a second look at thru-hull sizing any ideas on size for the Katadyn power survivor 40e. We were thinking 3/4 inflow would be sufficient and for the sake of keeping things similar 3/4 for the discharge.
Old 30-12-2019, 21:31   #364

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406Columbia View Post
pictures from yesterday.
Great Blue Heron!

She's really coming along, the new hatches sure look nice! And the mast shoe looks really great too! Mine was corrodowelded to my mast and I had to cut the bottom 1.5" off the bottom of the mast.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 09:41   #365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Great Blue Heron!

She's really coming along, the new hatches sure look nice! And the mast shoe looks really great too! Mine was corrodowelded to my mast and I had to cut the bottom 1.5" off the bottom of the mast.
I may take the shoe off and have it anodized since its small enough to actually do. But we are thankful its in good shape
Old 31-12-2019, 17:08   #366

Quote:
Great Blue Heron!

Yeah, the wife thought it was a great blue heron after I showed her the photo too. She had jokes about my limited bird knowledge.
Old 31-12-2019, 19:17   #367

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406Columbia View Post
I may take the shoe off and have it anodized since its small enough to actually do. But we are thankful its in good shape
Even if you do I think I’d goop it up with the nickel based permatex before sliding them together. That’s my riggers choice of anti corrosion goop. Mine was so stuck that when they were lifting the mast up with the crane the guy said “we’re lifting yer whole boat up!”
Old 01-01-2020, 09:03   #368

Quote:
Even if you do I think I’d goop it up with the nickel based permatex before sliding them together. That’s my riggers choice of anti corrosion goop. Mine was so stuck that when they were lifting the mast up with the crane the guy said “we’re lifting yer whole boat up!”
Good to know, I had to look up a picture of the stuff. I think I actually have a partial bottle in the garage or did at some point. Used that anti-seize before and it had no issues. Thanks for the advice.
Old 01-01-2020, 19:15   #369

Today I filled in a few low spots on the previous patches. Cut, chiseled, hammered out the old paddle wheel. Thought I would install the new Raymarine one for the i70, nope! Not in the right position, jokes on me.

epoxied in two or three more frames for portlights in the hanging locker, head and one in the V-birth I think. The wife sanded some in the salon getting it ready for stain.

I did a few other things but can't think right now a long day. A bit bummed I need to patch another big hole under the waterline from both sides again.

I need to figure out what I am going to do with the wood blocks under the forestay chainplate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200101_113443.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	428.2 KB
ID:	206061   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200101_113448.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	432.5 KB
ID:	206062  

Name:	20200101_163909.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	410.4 KB
ID:	206063   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200101_164254.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	430.8 KB
ID:	206064  

Old 01-01-2020, 22:01   #370

When I plugged my old holes for the head on my ol' 24 I filled the hole with Marine Tex and had six or seven layers on the inside, and only 2, I think, on the outside. That seemed plenty strong to me and there never was a hint of a problem with it. I figured since the hull was so stiff already, there probably was no movement or weakness that was a threat to the plug, and I didn't consider the holes to be a threat to the hull's integrity. That seemed to be verified over time, for me anyway. Keep the faith! Soon you'll have her scudding along!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 02-01-2020, 21:10   #371

Quote:
When I plugged my old holes for the head on my ol' 24 I filled the hole with Marine Tex and had six or seven layers on the inside, and only 2, I think, on the outside. That seemed plenty strong to me and there never was a hint of a problem with it. I figured since the hull was so stiff already, there probably was no movement or weakness that was a threat to the plug, and I didn't consider the holes to be a threat to the hull's integrity. That seemed to be verified over time, for me anyway. Keep the faith! Soon you'll have her scudding along!
I hadn't ever heard of or used Marine-Tex, had to google it and read up on it. Sure sounds like some good stuff and easy to work with. I got some more supplies today, lots of work to do this weekend.

I got a bunch of work done today. More frames epoxied in, sanded, ground, smoothed out and re-sealed the wood that had been sanded. Filled dozens and dozens of holes in the toe rail.
Old 02-01-2020, 21:26   #372

Marine Tex is good stuff, but pretty expensive. The black stuff is even stronger than the white. The large stainless screws that hold the bottom of the track for the gooseneck on the mast had corroded the 55 year old mast so badly, unseen by me, that when I found it was loose and started cleaning it out I could see there was no more aluminum there to bolt to! There was a large hole where there should have been aluminum to anchor the bottom of the track. So I cleaned it out really well and inserted a folded piece of plastic into the hole in the mast that had a string attached and it unfolded inside to form a backing that I could then build up a large plug of black Marine Tex that filled the hole, and embedded the screws again, if that makes sense. To make a long story short, no problems there anymore.

Your toe rail looks a lot more like a bulwark in your bow than mine, I wonder if it was built up or something. I like it, I wouldn't mind a little more height on mine.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 03-01-2020, 00:25   #373

Quote:
Marine Tex is good stuff, but pretty expensive. The black stuff is even stronger than the white. The large stainless screws that hold the bottom of the track for the gooseneck on the mast had corroded the 55 year old mast so badly, unseen by me, that when I found it was loose and started cleaning it out I could see there was no more aluminum there to bolt to! There was a large hole where there should have been aluminum to anchor the bottom of the track. So I cleaned it out really well and inserted a folded piece of plastic into the hole in the mast that had a string attached and it unfolded inside to form a backing that I could then build up a large plug of black Marine Tex that filled the hole, and embedded the screws again, if that makes sense. To make a long story short, no problems there anymore.

Your toe rail looks a lot more like a bulwark in your bow than mine, I wonder if it was built up or something. I like it, I wouldn't mind a little more height on mine.
Yeah, that makes sense, sure sounds like pretty decent stuff. Regarding the toe rail/bulwark, I can't say I know the difference between the two. It certainly appears to be consistent all the way around the boat so I thought it was just like that from the factory, I guess we don't really know at this point. I know there are at least two other Columbia 29's here in the marina I will take a peek at.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:15   #374
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:

i can confirm that the bulwark on his bow is an aftermarket addition . The stock toe rail is only about 1.5 to 2 inch tall and molded into the deck .
Old 04-01-2020, 23:06   #375

Got the G10 backer blocks done for four of the thru-hulls, wow that stuff is the worst material to cut or drill I have worked with in a long time. I ended up having to buy special carbide teeth hole saws from Diablo.

Had to score the shape if you will with a huge 5 or 6-inch hole saw, then cut off most of the material with an angle grinder with a cut off wheel. Then use the belt sander to bring it into the nice round shape. Lots of work and lots of time.

Also, the wife chipped away more junk around the toerail/bulwark.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200104_125341.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	454.1 KB
ID:	206317   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200104_153409.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	434.9 KB
ID:	206318  

Name:	20200104_154204.jpg