Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2018, 08:16   #151

Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28
Re: Part 2 - Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegde_Sailor View Post
Cool build, I like where you are going for it.

I am a fellow Montana boy myself, born and raised in Livingston.
I am right down the road from Livingston, small world.
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 09:35   #152

Boat: 1966 Spencer 42'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406Columbia View Post
I am right down the road from Livingston, small world.

I will be out there in a couple of months, Will have to say hi when I am in town!
Old 28-12-2018, 09:37   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegde_Sailor View Post
I will be out there in a couple of months, Will have to say hi when I am in town!
Sounds good, shoot me a PM when your close.
Old 29-12-2018, 17:02   #154

Purchased a few clean agent fire extinguishers for the boat. Realized I don't want that corrosive yellow powder from an ABC extinguisher all over the boat in the event of a fire.

Went with one 5lbs Halotron, one 5lbs FE-36 and will likely add two 2.5lbs Halon 1211/1301 extinguishers that are easy to grab. I was thinking one below the steps, one in the well and the two larger ones stowed somewhere out of sight and easy to get to.

Having been in fire suppression I have a great love of clean agent extinguishers that are non-corrosive, non-conductive, wont cake and require ZERO clean-up after discharge.

Should be up in the boat again this next week putting steps in a getting ready for the carpenter. Have to fit the Lewmar hatch stay and a few other small winter projects since it’s too cold and wet to do any glass work.

By the way, if any of you have those plastic head Kidde fire extinguishers they are more than likely under recall. Give their customer service folks a ring and they will get you new extinguishers mailed out within a few weeks free of charge and require no proof of purchase. Just send back the old ones in the box you receive in the mail and use the pre-paid shipping label. Very easy and eliminates the risk of having those plastic units blow up when you go to use them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fe36 clean agent extinguisher.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	182883   Click image for larger version

Name:	halotron extinguisher.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	200.0 KB
ID:	182884  

Old 17-02-2019, 12:03   #155

Well, have some changes in the works. I am in the hiring process for some emergency positions, two in CA and one in Florida. That said, we're going to try and finish the boat off ASAP and make it liveable for short term so we can liveaboard until we find a new house if we take one of the new jobs.

SO we have been buying more stuff to finish the interior paint, picked out a stove, refrigerator, getting new cushions sorted out, etc. Sadly each carpenter we have spoken to has fallen through and no-showed. Were to the point of flying someone in to do the work!

Anyway, should have photos of the progress this week. Just need to knock a few feet of snow of the tarp so we can get into the old girl.

If anyone can think of essentials for living on her for a bit please let us know since we're sure to forget something. So far our critical list includes:

-stove
-magma grill
-new cushions
-portable dometic or Engel fridge
-life lines
-paint
-glass in the windows
-install smart plug shore power
Old 17-02-2019, 12:43   #156
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Well, have some changes in the works. I am in the hiring process for some emergency positions, two in CA and one in Florida. That said, we're going to try and finish the boat off ASAP and make it liveable for short term so we can liveaboard until we find a new house if we take one of the new jobs.

SO we have been buying more stuff to finish the interior paint, picked out a stove, refrigerator, getting new cushions sorted out, etc. Sadly each carpenter we have spoken to has fallen through and no-showed. Were to the point of flying someone in to do the work!

Anyway, should have photos of the progress this week. Just need to knock a few feet of snow of the tarp so we can get into the old girl.

If anyone can think of essentials for living on her for a bit please let us know since we're sure to forget something. So far our critical list includes:

-stove
-magma grill
-new cushions
-portable dometic or Engel fridge
-life lines
-paint
-glass in the windows
-install smart plug shore power
where in Florida?

IMO you would be way ahead to enquire at the marinas in the area you are considering as your home base . But one little thing you are not liveaboards. You tell them ( insurance to ) you are full time cruisers. It does make a difference.

How long are these positions expected to last?
Old 17-02-2019, 12:50   #157

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Wow! Ok my recommendation right off the bat is a 14x14tarp and a 14’ length of 1” pvc pipe with a line running through it to rig a tarp cover from above the boom over the house and cockpit. White is good, that’s what I got. I am not living aboard but when I did I always had stuff I wanted to stash out on deck at times but wanted to keep sun and rain off. It adds a bit more privacy too. Or if you have the money, a full boat cover is nice, but bulky to stow when you want to go sailing. You might try “living” in her now to get a feel for the day to day things... but it’s probably too cold!
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 12:51   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
where in Florida?

IMO you would be way ahead to enquire at the marinas in the area you are considering as your home base. But one little thing you are not liveaboards. You tell them ( insurance too) you are full-time cruisers. It does make a difference.

How long are these positions expected to last?

We have been calling marinas in CA, not Florida yet, we stopped by the Newport marina and talked to the harbormaster. Full-time cruisers, noted. The position in Florida (Broward County) is permanent and the position in Southern CA is a full time permanent. The position on the central coast is a temporary position for a couple of years.

The idea isn't to be "full-time" cruisers long term, but rather use the boat as a spot to land while we get our primary home rented or sold for one of the permanent positions. That might look like a few weeks or perhaps three or four months according to our rental company and real estate agent based on similar listings/rentals in our area.

But it would give us some options.
Old 17-02-2019, 12:57   #159
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
We have been calling marinas in CA, not Florida yet, we stopped by the Newport marina and talked to the harbormaster. Full-time cruisers, noted. The position in Florida (Broward County) is permanent and the position in Southern CA is a full time permanent. The position on the central coast is a temporary position for a couple of years.

The idea isn't to be "full-time" cruisers long term, but rather use the boat as a spot to land while we get our primary home rented or sold for one of the permanent positions. That might look like a few weeks or perhaps three or four months according to our rental company and real estate agent based on similar listings/rentals in our area.

But it would give us some options.
ok so personally if I were you I would seriously look at the Florida position .
You would only be a few hours sail from weekends in the Bahamas .

Also no income tax in Florida.
Old 17-02-2019, 13:01   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Wow! Ok my recommendation right off the bat is a 14x14tarp and a 14’ length of 1” pvc pipe with a line running through it to rig a tarp cover from above the boom over the house and cockpit. White is good, that’s what I got. I am not living aboard but when I did I always had stuff I wanted to stash out on deck at times but wanted to keep sun and rain off. It adds a bit more privacy too. Or if you have the money, a full boat cover is nice, but bulky to stow when you want to go sailing. You might try “living” in her now to get a feel for the day to day things... but it’s probably too cold!

Don,

Great advice, will put that on a list of things. One day we would like a dodger and bimini cover like the one we say on a Columbia 29 in Monterey for sale, very nice.
Old 17-02-2019, 13:06   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
ok so personally if I were you I would seriously look at the Florida position.
You would only be a few hours sail from weekends in the Bahamas.

Also no income tax in Florida.

Newhaul,

Yeah, Florida is our first choice too, plus the locations get a lot of severe weather during hurricane season which is perfect for my work. Being close to the Bahamas does sound very fun. No income tax and more liberty and freedom are very appealing as well.

Hoping to hear back from them soon as Central CA appears to be moving forward at a faster pace.
Old 17-02-2019, 13:15   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post

Yeah, way too cold! The boat is covered up by about two feet of snow right now.
Old 17-02-2019, 15:44   #163

I know we said it was cold, outside right now its 3 degrees Fahrenheit! I imagine we will get into the negatives tonight for certain. I know Dan Adland is likely in similar weather as well.

Here are a few photos of the boat buried under the snow, If I am honest I don't live knocking all the snow off and working in such cold lol. Dreaming of the South Pacific right now.

Oh, anyone here ever used composite thru hull fittings?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	377B93F7-C9A8-4AB0-B757-2F276D62CD4E.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	428.1 KB
ID:	186133   Click image for larger version

Name:	F172092D-8C8E-490A-8DAE-AD04A1482459.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	418.2 KB
ID:	186134  

Old 18-02-2019, 13:09   #164

Quote:
By the way, if any of you have those plastic head Kidde fire extinguishers they are more than likely under recall. Give their customer service folks a ring and they will get you new extinguishers mailed out within a few weeks free of charge and require no proof of purchase. Just send back the old ones in the box you receive in the mail and use the pre-paid shipping label. Very easy and eliminates the risk of having those plastic units blow up when you go to use them.
Hey thanks for the tip! I didn't know. Sure enough they under recall and they are sending me two new ones now!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 18-02-2019, 13:19   #165

Quote:
I know we said it was cold, outside right now its 3 degrees Fahrenheit! I imagine we will get into the negatives tonight for certain. I know Dan Adland is likely in similar weather as well.

Here are a few photos of the boat buried under the snow, If I am honest I don't live knocking all the snow off and working in such cold lol. Dreaming of the South Pacific right now.

Oh, anyone here ever used composite thru hull fittings?
Beautiful shots of the snow!
thru-hulls: some say Marelon are great, others say no way. I suppose they are fine as long as they are in a place where nothing heavy can ever fall on them. Still they do seem pretty tough to me and actually if anything falls hard on a bronze one it can be damaged too of course, and more likely it will cause the hose to leak. As far as boat leaks I'd consider stuffing box failures and hose fittings at the the thru-hulls to be the two big ones to keep an eye on. I still have the originals, bronze, on my boat, still seem fine. Good thing too! The thru-hulls are glassed in! Are you looking to add or replace old ones?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37

Tags
columbia, grass, refit