Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2020, 22:24   #601

Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28
Re: Part 2 - Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
I'd noticed a couple working very hard on a boat while riding my bike near the yard, didn't realize you'd relocated to Dana.
If you are not already aware Orange Engine up on Del Obispo is good source for parts.
https://orangeengineautoparts.com/
I think I went by the first day you started laying up the new deck, came out very nice. You did look a little apprehensive as you approached roller in hand.
Hey Ted,

Yeah we have indeed relocated, a bit warmer here so more boat work gets done hahaha. I will check out Orange Engine Auto, i hadn't heard of them before. It has been an interesting process doing all this boat work, we have never done any of this before so I can image why you observed apprehension haha. Never thought we would be doing fiberglass, or wiring up a boat before but none of it's very complicated I suppose.

I think during the paint my concern is to make it look as nice as possible. It would be a shame to make it so strong and functional and also do a bad paint job.
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 22:51   #602

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I see you cut hawseholes in the bow bulwarks! Did you ever manage to find bronze fittings for those? I got tired of the chocks on the rail so now for my spring line I just have a figure eight knot in the end and the line comes out of the scupper. No chafe, super strong. Just need an extra minute to release the figure eight.

Now I hesitate to say this because you are doing beautiful work, but me, being a bit neurotic about weight aloft, wonder how much that stainless head piece weighs. I hate to sound critical because it looks absolutely great, but given the tender nature of our boats, I am always thinking about how to reduce weight up there.
Hey Don,

The holes were cut by the previous owner and she also came with stainless fittings that fit. Not sure who manufacturers them, but we got a ton of stainless parts new in the plastic or boxes with the boat. The figure eight is one of my favorite knots, tied that climbing about a thousand times.

Don't hesitate to ask questions at all, no one gets offended here. We certainly are increasing the weight aloft, I will weigh it after were done with it. The reason we went stainless over aluminum is the rigger stated we needed it for the strength of the fitting based on the loads calculated for the additional halyard and sail. The previous owners, added a halyard for a spinnaker so close to the front of the masthead fitting and it appears to have point loaded many times.

This lead to cracking and honestly looked under engineered. One option was to plug weld it and reposition the hole and try again. Had my father in-law take a look at it also who has owned and run a metal fab shop for about 40 years. After input from a few folks we decided to strengthen the entire masthead with stainless. Hopefully we don't regret this.

Perhaps once we finish and are in the water you can come sailing with us and provide some feedback and see how she performs.

If this piece really comes out too heavy we might consider rebuilding from aluminum or titanium but I would ideally go with aluminum if that's the turn it takes. I think I would weld on some thick plate to the sides of the mast head, then at least 3/8 inch diameter for the halyard to mount.
Old 07-08-2020, 21:29   #603

Anyone lay on any non-skid lately they would strongly recommend?
Old 07-08-2020, 21:40   #604

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406Columbia View Post
Soft Sand: SoftSand | SoftSand Rubber from SoftPoint Industries
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 22:19   #605

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Thanks, I just checked it out. Which method did you use to apply, sprinkle or mix into the paint? If you added to the paint did you then roll on or brush on?
Old 07-08-2020, 23:26   #606
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Thanks, I just checked it out. Which method did you use to apply, sprinkle or mix into the paint? If you added to the paint did you then roll on or brush on?
although I haven't used this product I would add it directly to the paint and apply with a medium knap roller just like we did in the old days of canvassing and painting wood decks.
Also it will give you a more consistent coverage than the sprinkle method will
Old 08-08-2020, 09:01   #607

Boat: Tartan 40

Kiwigrip is supposed to be pretty easy and good looking
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 09:13   #608

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Sprinkle. It comes out with a very uniform texture that way. Mixed in paint and rolled it's not uniform texture. There are videos on Youtube about the use and application of it.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 19:01   #609

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
For years I have used the method Ron Moore(Moore Sailboats) taught me.
White gelcoat tinted slightly with color of choice. Mix with cabosil thickened to the consistency of pancake batter. Use a low nap good roller. Roll it on then ever so lightly back roll to raise the texture. Be consistent with the cabosil if doing other sections.

After lightly sand with 150 to knock off the sharp points. I have also used LPU for this also.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 21:45   #610

Hello,

Well ran the cables up the mast, used heavy duty zip ties to secure them from slapping within the mast after some research. This method allows the lines to be pulled individually in the future should one need to be replaced without blocking the mast passage with large pieces of foam.

Spent a fair bit of time putting together the watertight electrical conduit and box for the tri color, overall happy with the outcome. Also, completed the mast head piece still have to weigh it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200809_190927.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	458.5 KB
ID:	221307   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200809_191231.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	444.8 KB
ID:	221308  

Name:	20200809_192204(1).jpg
Views:	69
Size:	452.6 KB
ID:	221309   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200810_142047.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	437.8 KB
ID:	221310  

Name:	20200810_143622.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	444.9 KB
ID:	221311   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200810_164338.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	459.7 KB
ID:	221312  

Old 14-08-2020, 21:51   #611

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
For years I have used the method Ron Moore(Moore Sailboats) taught me.
White gelcoat tinted slightly with color of choice. Mix with cabosil thickened to the consistency of pancake batter. Use a low nap good roller. Roll it on then ever so lightly back roll to raise the texture. Be consistent with the cabosil if doing other sections.

After lightly sand with 150 to knock off the sharp points. I have also used LPU for this also.

Thanks everyone for all the great input on the non skid ideas. I think I will try to test out the gelcoat with cabosil to see what the texture is like. That methods sounds like it would be very durable when compared to only paint but the Kiwigrip and other methods don't sounds bad either.
Old 14-08-2020, 22:33   #612

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Thanks everyone for all the great input on the non skid ideas. I think I will try to test out the gelcoat with cabosil to see what the texture is like. That methods sounds like it would be very durable when compared to only paint but the Kiwigrip and other methods don't sounds bad either.

I saw a few Kiwigrip jobs, both in Alameda when I was refitting and Mexico whole I was cruising. To me, it never did look consistent.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 22:04   #613

Nothing too exciting going on, got on another coat of primer after lightly sanding the last coat. This will be the final primer coat,w e wanted to lay it on thick. Did the same on barrier coat, went with three coats on the high traffic areas like the cockpit and decks, but only two on the dog house.

On the mast, getting things connected up and water proofed. Got a big load of stuff in for marine application. Heat shrink with adhesive and marine specific wiring that is tinned copper to provide better corrosion resistance.

Hoping to be done painting and paint cured in the next 10 days, only took three years hahaha. Guess we should start looking for our next project while we sail this one! Maybe a Tayana 47 three stateroom!

Anyway, making progress. For the purists out there you will notice we painted over the wood trim around the door. We are leaving our new door with the teak trim as our accent to all the white as the stained mahogany didn't quite match with the teak well enough for our taste.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200822_150857.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	455.0 KB
ID:	221843   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200823_084208.jpg
Size:	338.5 KB
ID:	221844  

Name:	20200823_085506.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	444.5 KB
ID:	221845   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200823_091130.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	331.2 KB
ID:	221846  

Old 24-08-2020, 21:34   #614

Replaced my dead heat gun and was able to finish the tri-color today. Haven't sealed up the conduit box with any sikaflex or similar yet but it has a gasket that comes with it already. Was preparing to put the antenna connectors together and realized I need to get a soldering iron to properly connect it, soooo that's for another day.

You may notice I only hooked up two wires instead of three. The marinebeam tri-color only requires two wires to run it. As I understand it most other lights require three. So I figured better to run three up the mast now, so if the light ever needs to be replaced there is no need to re-cable.

First coat of topside down.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200823_090929.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	451.3 KB
ID:	221933   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200824_104750.jpg
Size:	464.6 KB
ID:	221934  

Name:	20200824_104950.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	467.4 KB
ID:	221935  
Old 25-08-2020, 15:53   #615

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Replaced my dead heat gun and was able to finish the tri-color today. Haven't sealed up the conduit box with any sikaflex or similar yet but it has a gasket that comes with it already. Was preparing to put the antenna connectors together and realized I need to get a soldering iron to properly connect it, soooo that's for another day.

You may notice I only hooked up two wires instead of three. The marinebeam tri-color only requires two wires to run it. As I understand it most other lights require three. So I figured better to run three up the mast now, so if the light ever needs to be replaced there is no need to re-cable.

First coat of topside down.
Please replace those rings with cotter pins. Your project is coming along nicely.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
columbia, grass, refit