Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 13:59   #1

Paint the deck...

Ok I have a two tone paint on the deck of my Irwin 37 gray and white. When washing with hose the paint is peeling off. What is the proper way and type of paint to use to make it nice again. Thanks in Advance. John
Squirrel01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 15:23   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Paint the deck...

What we used on our decks is "acrylmeric sport cote", which is an Australian product. Don't know where you're located, but it is water based, therefore easy cleanup stuff. A friend's is over 20 yrs. old, and still aggressive non-skid. We chose white, and there was a heavy dew the night after we painted. Some of the paint went away. It needs another coat now for cosmetic reasons, but it has been on 8 yrs. It goes on about the consistency of Greek yoghurt, rolled. It was an easy product to use, and so good as non-skid, I had to lightly sand it on the swim platform so I could sit there to put on my fins. It was quite reasonable, about 1/2 the cost of Awlgrip. Perhaps you can source it in your area. It is used to make swimming pool areas, public restrooms, and places like that non-skid. Definitely industrial. The downside to it is that it is susceptible to staining, and it will also trap dirt, so requires determined cleaning.

Ann
Old 02-05-2014, 15:50   #3

Boat: Lancer 36
Re: Paint the deck...

I'm not a pro but when paint peels, the prep wasn't done correctly, didn't use primer or used a non-combatible paint.
You MUST rid the deck of ALL this peeling paint first thing.
(I know that's not what you want to hear)
But that's you're first step.
Brown Sugar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, paint