Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2007, 05:03   #16

OK Flicka people here's your chance

Great to see all the Flicka interest out there!

The Flicka molds and tooling are definitely headed to Washington NC. New owner of the company is interested to hear what Pacific Seacraft people want.
Why don't you guys (the Flicka crowd is very enthusiastic) post some ideas on how you would like to see the Flickas built: outboard (less money) or inboard, separate head (more money) or not, sloop vs. cutter, what price do you think is fair for a new one etc. If one could be done for 90k base are there some interested new flicka buyers out there? Should we just build one or two new ones for grins, even if we couldn't sell them at say 110k sailaway?

Does the idea of an electric engine interest anyone?
crealockfan40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:24   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crealockfan40 View Post
... Should we just build one or two new ones for grins, even if we couldn't sell them at say 110k sailaway?
Your use of the personal pronoun (we) suggests a connection with Pacific Seacraft.
Are you an employee/principle, dealer, or ... ?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:38   #18

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
The main problem with the existing boats is that they are getting old and it cost a lot to fix up for cruising. The tooling up is a bit much for 1 or 2 boats. A few years ago there was a site wanting to get a few orders for Flicka's for $ 60g's. This seams a good starting out price for a bare bones boat. My MacGregor fully riged for cruising including dinghy and electroics is around $ 70g's, a bit too much for most. A lot of changes. Most people who cruise wants an inboard, sloop. However these are people who already have a boat. If I could have gotton into a new Flicka for $ 70g's, complete, I would have.

I would feel a bit safer cruising the Bahamas and not worry about going south in a Flicka.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:55   #19

thank you Lynx and Gord

Lynx that is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for, thank you. gord, I work for a dealer.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:58   #20

PS

just noticed you have made 5,000 posts Gord. Wow!
Old 12-10-2007, 06:25   #21

I think over the next few years were going to go thru a reemergence of some of the classic plastic with modern systems. Just my opinion, but I hope to drive that on the smaller end.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2007, 20:51   #22

Boat: Pacific Seacraft, Dana 24, 28 - Sunset
I am a fairly new owner of a previously owned 1991 Dana 24 and have been most impressed with the quality and sailing characteristics of this fine little yacht during my refit and sea trials .

I visited the Pacific Seacraft factory several times over the last year to better understand the design before I finalized the deal on my boat. Robin Bradshaw at Pacific Seacraft was most helpful during that period even during the tough times when he was helping Allen Poole package the company for sale. Prior to the bankrupcy sale, Pacific Seacraft did sell the Dana molds and technical package to Seacraft on Lake Union in Seattle and Tom Cooper there has commenced production of the Dana again. I met with him on a recent trip to the NW and he indicated to me that they planned to fabricate the hull and deck in Portland and do the final fit out in Seattle. In addition, Tom said they were going to do their best to support the after market needs of all Dana Owners. Tom also said they were still in discussions with Mr Brodie on what they will call their production Danas.

At the end of the day, I believe all of us who own this fine Crelock designed and high production quality vessel will be most pleased that Tom Cooper and his partner at Seacraft have committed to continuing production and support.

Others interested in the Dana and wish to share lessons learned and other facts please feel free to contact me.
SV Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2007, 16:10   #23

Boat: Endeavour E40
In that size package such as the FLICKA, what other boats compete with it, given it's BLUEWATER abilities???
The FLICKA for $70,000 "fairly" equiped would bring a lot of interest, I would think.
But, in my opinion, diesel, electric would be interesting, 4' draft, enclosed head/shower, refrigeration, air, wheel steering would make it very nice!
I remember my Dad's FLICKA and it was built like a little TRUCK, very strong, heavy for its size, which to me, is preferable..... and of course, the interior was remarkable.
I hope the new builder can sustain the reputation.
AUTHOR: My dear ole MOM
High Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 16:01   #24

Boat: Hardin Seawolf 41
I would say 60K max on a new Flicka-if it could maintain its quality. The kind of people who have more money than that for a new boat would likely spend it on a larger vessel (gross generalization, but I'm stickin' with it). The Flicka is the epitome of the simple/capable production sail craft. I would stay with that... opting for outboard motor, tiller (w/ transom mounted gudgeon and pintle rudder), and maybe offer both the cutter and sloop rigs as your variety.
Them's my two bits...
swami maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2008, 15:03   #25

Boat: Newport MKII 30 - Solution
If ya go to You Tube and enter "kitecam" in the search window it will pull up a video of a guy in a Dana 24 who takes his own pictures while sailing. What a sweet boat!
Old 13-01-2008, 16:07   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Cotton View Post
In that size package such as the FLICKA, what other boats compete with it, given it's BLUEWATER abilities???
The Falmouth Cutter at about double the $$$
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2008, 16:56   #27

Allan Poole

Hi. After the Pacific Seacraft problems does anyone know what happened to the Saga Yacht moulds and where Allan Poole is now? Last I heard he was sailing in the Caribbean. Not too bad for someone who ruins a business!!
Seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2008, 18:28   #28

Boat: 44 footer
Washington, NC?

Have you guys set up a facility? I'd like to come by and take a tour.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2008, 22:20   #29

I think just the moulds from Pacific Seacraft went East. I had heard that the Saga ones went to someone else. ? back to Canada?

Pity as they were nice yachts. The Saga website looks dated and the owner's group website seems down now.

Nice blog Zach. Looks like a lot of work.
Seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2008, 15:13   #30

Boat: 44 footer
Thanks...
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pacific seacraft