Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2012, 15:34   #31

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Crealock 37
Re: Pacific Seacraft 37/40

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe68 View Post
Do any PSC's have teak decks? I have seen a few pics where the boats appear to have them.
Yes teak decks were an option that fortunately I was talked out of back in 1988.

Marc Hall
Crazy Fish, Crealock 37, Hull 207
MarcHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 15:09   #32

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
I'm not going to contradict fugue, but I've sailed the PSC37 and have a PSC44, and have found that they both maneuver reasonably well. My 44 pivots around the keel when going forward and can make a pretty tight circle. In reverse the prop-walk and lack of flow over the rudder make backing to starboard difficult, but most boats have this issue and you can learn to manage it. I have a 3-blade MaxProp on VALIS and can at least back up straight at low speed.
I noticed, that since the 44 is an older design than the 40, there are some mid-90's 40 footers in my budget. I have a few dumb questions regarding the 44. Where is the engine, is it under the companionway? One ad I saw stated the engine was in the middle of the boat. Can it be removed through the cockpit sole? Is there a separate sit-down shower stall in one of the heads as on the 40?
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2012, 01:36   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I noticed, that since the 44 is an older design than the 40, there are some mid-90's 40 footers in my budget. I have a few dumb questions regarding the 44. Where is the engine, is it under the companionway? One ad I saw stated the engine was in the middle of the boat. Can it be removed through the cockpit sole? Is there a separate sit-down shower stall in one of the heads as on the 40?
In my PSC44 (built 2001/2002) The engine is under the galley sink. There are access panels on four sides, but the only way the engine is coming out is by removing the galley sink cabinetry. This shouldn't be horribly difficult, since there are accessible screws fastening the cabinet to the sole, but I've not tried it. Plumbing would have to be disconnected.

In the 44 the cockpit sole is not easily removable, nor should this be necessary.

The aft head has a shower area with a seat and a shower curtain between the shower area and the head area. There is a teak grate on the shower floor, over a drain pan. A pump drains the pan via a through-hull.

The shower area is where I hang my wet foulies.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2012, 08:10   #34

Quote:
In my PSC44 (built 2001/2002) The engine is under the galley sink. There are access panels on four sides, but the only way the engine is coming out is by removing the galley sink cabinetry. This shouldn't be horribly difficult, since there are accessible screws fastening the cabinet to the sole, but I've not tried it. Plumbing would have to be disconnected.

In the 44 the cockpit sole is not easily removable, nor should this be necessary.

The aft head has a shower area with a seat and a shower curtain between the shower area and the head area. There is a teak grate on the shower floor, over a drain pan. A pump drains the pan via a through-hull.

Paul

Thanks for the info. Pics of the interior are hard to come by on the 44. Not sure why PSC does not do a better job of posting interior pics on their web site.
Old 13-09-2014, 11:43   #35

Quote:

I just noticed your boat has the scheel keel, have you ever had the chance to sail a 44 with the deep keel? I am having a hard time finding a deep keel 40/44 on the west coast and I wonder what the performance penalty is for this keel. Some people say it points just fine and others have said that there is a noticeable difference.
Old 13-09-2014, 12:15   #36

Quote:

My Tanton 44 had the engine under sink also. Open on 4 sides and the counter even came apart for engine removal. It was a great design and provided wonderful engine access.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2014, 16:33   #37

Boat: Bristol 38.8

IMHO the engine under the sink is a horrible design. The whole boat smells of diesel after awhile.

The PSC 37s and 40s are great boats in a seaway, but I find them small inside, given their length (I feel the same about the Valiant). I'd go for the 40 if given the choice. I have nothing against tillers, except that the autopilot tends to be a kludge. With a tillered boat you probably want a windvane with the autopilot as a backup.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2014, 16:37   #38

Well... if you're leaking diesel fix it. The boat will smell whether the engine is under the companionway, under the center cockpit or under the sink. The small under sink space evacuates very well with the fan... Probably better than under the companionway which often includes under the entire cockpit.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 14:05   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
IMHO the engine under the sink is a horrible design. The whole boat smells of diesel after awhile.

The PSC 37s and 40s are great boats in a seaway, but I find them small inside, given their length (I feel the same about the Valiant). I'd go for the 40 if given the choice. I have nothing against tillers, except that the autopilot tends to be a kludge. With a tillered boat you probably want a windvane with the autopilot as a backup.
On my PSC 37 with a wheel I had a below decks WH autopilot and a Monitor wind vane.

When I replaced the wheel with a tiller I kept both the WH autopilot and Monitor wind vane. Wind Vane controls our simpler, the WH autopilot controls are the same.

Marc Hall
Crazy Fish - Maintaining, Upgrading and Sailing a Crealock 37
Old 22-09-2014, 16:51   #40

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

I have a scheel on my 34. Might be a little less of a pointer but overall sails so nicely. The helm is well balanced, I think that so many if us are doing wheel to tiller conversions says a lot.

Any hit in upwind performance I take is gladly exchanged for being able to sneak in just about anywhere. It's far more useful and practical for my cruising grounds, which are not the pacific currently.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 21:27   #41

Quote:
I believe this only applies to the early boats.
They switched to vinylester in 1988 or 1989. Crazy Fish has a vinylester was delivered in Dec 89 and has had no blisters.

Marc Hall
Crazy Fish - Maintaining, Upgrading and Sailing a Crealock 37
Old 25-09-2014, 21:52   #42

Boat: Mason 44

I love the lines of Psc 40 . Admired one boat that came in the marina for a couple days enroute to Richards Bay. Svshango.com the owner did a first class work on the upgrades and maintenance.

ericoh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 17:21   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericoh88 View Post
I love the lines of Psc 40 . Admired one boat that came in the marina for a couple days enroute to Richards Bay. Svshango.com the owner did a first class work on the upgrades and maintenance.

I wish I could find a deep-keel version (40 or 44) for sale on the west coast for less than $225K!
Old 20-11-2014, 23:46   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by arisatx View Post
Fugue:

When you characterized the other boats as heavier, it prompted me to recheck Displacement / Length ratios. Based on these, I would consider the 2 Perry designs "lighter".

Boats / PHRF Ratings / DL Ratios
Baba 40 / 177 / 315
Crealock 37 / 171 / 338
PSC 40 / 168 / 351
Westsail 32/ 219 / 419
Westsail 42 /159 / 386

Valiant 42 /123 / 267

That said, the PSC37, once heeled increases it's waterline quickly.
The standard keel is also going to point higher than the Scheel keel.
I just looked at the PHRF ratings and I thought the PSC 40 was much (more than 3 seconds) faster than the 37. I thought it (PSC40) rated closer to 150.