Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2011, 21:49   #1

Pacific 27

Hi all

I have a chance put my hands on Pacific 27 and would love anyone opinion on those boats.
My plans are costal and some possible blue water trips.
Is it possible to sail to NZ in them or even making longer voyages ?
It is just for my self and my dog Penny.

John
Minga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 06:19   #2

Boat: boat Lastcall sold, looking for another
Re: Pacific 27

G'day John,
Please let me know what you decided, and why. I have just bought a Pacific 27 partly cos they are supposed to be fairly tough and weather-proof for the size. Mind you most of my sailing will be bay. I do want to use it on the odd Bass Straight and maybe Sydney trip also. Seems to handle well so far, also reasonably well balanced, but have yet to have it in any sort of rough open water. I'm also trying to find an owner's association. Thxks, Pete
Lastcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 15:22   #3

Hi Pete

I am going to look this Friday at on of them apparently it is set up for cruising.
My idea is to set myself on east cost with live on board (just my self and the weather is little better than Port Philip)
bay). But would not mind take maybe a long trip out if i gain some confidence in the boat.
Appreciate your opinion Pete. I will post more info after Friday.

Regards - John
Minga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 05:40   #4

Boat: boat Lastcall sold, looking for another

Short notice for me to do some offshore cruising mate! Thxks for getting back to me tho John and yes I will pass on anything I find out. When I was researching I found a few good threads on here about good boats for offshore and how to prepare for offshore tho, so maybe good for you just to do lots of browsing on this site. Also you need to consider your own prep & sailing knowledge - as some guys have said you can sail a bathtub around the world if you pick your times to travel, be prepared to spend a long time waiting for windows, spend a long time preparing the boat and preparing yourself (that is a big task - experience takes time to build). I still only have crewing experience offshore, and that on much bigger boats, so I'm not in a hurry to go anywhere alone just yet. Also I think that you would be pushed taking a Pac 27 to NZ anyway practically - cramped boats with not much storage after all. Also down here the general advice is you don't take anything under 30 feet through Bass Straight, so that is my first hurdle. Still looking forward to picking a window during summer and getting down to Wilson's Prom or somewhere tho, and maybe up east coast to Sydney after that. Need more experience before that tho. c ya, Pete
Lastcall is offline   Reply With Quote