Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2008, 18:02   #1

Paceship PY 26 - Thoughts?

I am looking to buy a Paceship PY 26 for a trip to the Caribbean. This boat comes in two different models the one I am looking at has a solid cast iron keel. I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts about this boat and could it handle open water?
robd8715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2008, 18:18   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts about this boat and could it handle open water?
On a good day no problem. On a not so good day I think if you were on it in a so so day you would know the answer without reservation. This is going to be a handful any time the wind blows over 20 knots. The VERY limited tankage makes this a not so great idea for an extended trip type of boat. With boats like this you pick the day and you get there in a short time and things work well and it's all fun. Anything else and you are over powered and have nothing in reserve.

An outboard motor is not really considered a good open water idea. Not that it's impossible but you can't go very far on one tank of fuel. Some times it takes an hour or more to get into an anchorage. If you had to get out too you would be out of fuel. carrying gasoline is not a fun filled adventure either.

If you are on a budget you can easily change the destination and still cruise with a lot more safety even on this boat.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2008, 19:25   #3

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
WRT the boat, I am sure you know about thier owners association, paceship.org . Should be worth a look.

There is a guy named Robin that is cruising on one right now (currently bound for Bermuda). He is posting on his trip on Sailfar.net.

I just returned from an 8month, 2500nm trip on an outboard equipt boat, and did not have any trouble with the fuel use or any other such problems.

Good luck, I hope you find the boat you are looking for.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2008, 15:17   #4

I know that the boats were well-built and that the designs are generally able to handle coastal weather. Before you buy the boat have the keel/bolts checked thoroughly. They rust out easily.

Hug the shore and you'll be okay. They are not open-water boats for many reasons, some of which were noted above. Good Luck ! Hope everything works out well
Sailormann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2009, 10:47   #5

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v 'Faith' View Post
WRT the boat, I am sure you know about thier owners association, paceship.org . Should be worth a look.

There is a guy named Robin that is cruising on one right now (currently bound for Bermuda). He is posting on his trip on Sailfar.net.

I just returned from an 8month, 2500nm trip on an outboard equipt boat, and did not have any trouble with the fuel use or any other such problems.

Good luck, I hope you find the boat you are looking for.

I haven't had any luck finding this "robin".

At least not on a PY26.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2009, 13:23   #6

Boat: a sailing boat
If she is sound and you know what you are doing, why not. People sail to nearly everywhere in nearly everything.

You can find better designs for offshore in this range though.

The balast/displ is not very high, so you would have to be very careful where you store your stuff, etc.. I would be also very careful about the keel attachment area / rudder attachment area - much depends on how much backing there is in them and how sound the fittings are.

Like in any voyage, you/boat have to be well prepared and then careful and it pays to have luck on your side too.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2009, 13:33   #7

Boat: a sailing boat
Then again I have this second thought: why not buy a boat in the Caribbean?

Because getting there can be the more dangerous part of the adventure (in a PY26)

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote