Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2006, 12:29   #16
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Riccccccch ... I did not mean to denegrate your idea or method - just pointing out my own problems when attempting to get fancy (MY word) with doing work around the boat.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 09:45   #17

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
OK - I tried the Elixir product on a white section of my aft deckhouse. Fairly chalky surface prior to the test. I cleaned the area with soap & water as suggested by Island Girl. Wiped on the Elixir with a paper towel, let it dry then buffed it with a rag (by hand).

I do see that the chalky appearance is gone. However, the surface is still rather dull. Island Girl folks recommended I apply their mirror glaze hard wax over the area to get the shine I'm looking for.

So I'm still not certain about the product, other than I can see a difference in appearance. I also note that the Elixir product was / is originally intended for dark colored surfaces vice white. Guess this was a non-conclusive (and very un-scientific) test.

But hey - the price was right for that free sample!!
Old 01-06-2006, 11:25   #18

Boat: CSY 44
http://www.poliglowproducts.com/

I have seen this stuff in action on a very dull power boat. Came out looking like new. Shiny, wet looking. I will certainly use it on Tipsy Bliss after the summer.
Lars
aaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 17:28   #19

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
I have two pints of the stuff. I can make you such a deal. It does as suggested, but the installation is very time and labor intensive. In addition, it does not remove easily. The problem you will see in several months to a year is that the overlap from successive strokes are more durable than the strokes between. I know that sounds strange, but the method of application is to use a 4" wide chamoise like material. You apply the poly to the applicator and make a continuous application the length of the boat and then go back to the beginning and do the next stripe. The problem comes when you can't distinguish between the first stripe and the next one and the next. You will have overlap of applications leaving areas where there are several coats and areas where there are fewer. The material wears away at the same rate leaving stripes of dull (worn off) and shiny areas.
I hope this is clear. If you still want the stuff, pay the shipping and it is yours.
Jim

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 09:24   #20

Jim, plz email me at sail.estrella@gmail.com I am about to apply Poliglow and think my one kit isnt going to be enough coats. If the poliglow sucks I'll pay for a nice LP paint job in some 2nd world country ;-)

Thanks,
Adam
www.sailestrella.com
Adam Yuret
s/v Estrella
Magellan 36' Ketch
www.sailestrella.com
AdamY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gelcoat, oxidation