Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2011, 07:27   #31
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
What Ovnis show is that in fact you don't need this perceived 140 avs typical of long keelers to blue water. Other thing aside this also demonstrates why cheaper plastic stuff also circumnavigates fine as well.

The Ovni does, in effect, have poor stability figures that's undeniable, what it shows is that you don't need an extreme boat to blue water.

Dave
Old 23-06-2011, 07:36   #32
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
One of them just arrived few days ago in Eastern Island after a large trip in Patagonia, another one is actually in route for the North West passage, arriving in Greenland 8 days ago.
Try to find one, only one vessel type with as many miles as these made by Ovni's in the world with quite NO issue and you will understand that this is one of the most suitable for an offshore boat. Certainly not a racer as permormances are not the most important for Ovni, but security and safety is.
Before we have Ovni owners leaping about the place. Let me say that well made aluminium boats are rugged. Which is why it's in the northwest passage. Equally many many plastic boats have circumnavigates without any significant issues. Also very few incidences occur where vanishing stability becomes an important factor, most people can sail around the world without ever testing any boat so .

All this " ruggedness" has nothing to do with the lack of ultimate stability as demonstrated by the figures. There's somewhat of a Land Rover effect going on here I think. ( ie it's looks rugged so it must be rugged)

The raised keel in a storm is I suspect somewhat of a red herring. I suspect you never really get a chance to know when to raise it before that wave with your name on it arrives. Up till that point you need a keel in order to sail. ( and heave to )

Dave
Old 23-06-2011, 08:16   #33
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Re: Ovni AVS?

Shall we now compare and contrast multihulls vs OVNI and recovery

Seems to me the record of historical incidents, if they exist at all, is minuscule.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 10:25   #34

The issue as I see it is nothing to do with Ovni vs conventional yacht. In extreme conditions most of the crew will fail long before the yacht gets into serious difficulties. People have circumnavigated in all manner of craft and lived to tell the tale. Lucky or just good judgement. Who knows, there are probably just as many people who have set out in well found craft never to be seen again. So the question is would I given the ability and wealth to purchase an Ovni for a blue water trip, buy one. The answer is no. Reason ...I want to enjoy life and will make seamanlike decisions on the craft most suitable to take me safely to my destination. An AVS of dubious value is not going to be my first choice of boat. I am sure an alloy centreboard boat has it's attractions, but its not for me. I prefer to trust to judgement not luck.
russcannell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 10:33   #35
cruiser

Personally, I love the boat and don't give too much credence in boat stats anymore since there are too many variables that go into life at sea and the cruising lifestyle including ones personal taste and style of sailing. Nothing is bulletproof nor beyond wrath of neptune.
Old 23-06-2011, 10:48   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey
Personally, I love the boat and don't give too much credence in boat stats anymore since there are too many variables that go into life at sea and the cruising lifestyle including ones personal taste and style of sailing. Nothing is bulletproof nor beyond wrath of neptune.
Well said, every boat has it's flaws and the choice of a yacht has to be one of practicalities over purpose. Unfortunately most boats are bought with the heart and not with the head. I sail a colvic countess not because it's the best boat for the job but because it's the best boat I can afford. Now if someone was to give me a nice shiny Ovni. The countess would be gone in a flash. All I would do is modify my sailing to ensure I would not get caught in survival conditions. It is dooable given proper planning and enough time.
russcannell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 14:29   #37
cco

Boat: Alubat, Ovni 365, 39 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by russcannell View Post
The issue as I see it is nothing to do with Ovni vs conventional yacht. In extreme conditions most of the crew will fail long before the yacht gets into serious difficulties. People have circumnavigated in all manner of craft and lived to tell the tale. Lucky or just good judgement. Who knows, there are probably just as many people who have set out in well found craft never to be seen again. So the question is would I given the ability and wealth to purchase an Ovni for a blue water trip, buy one. The answer is no. Reason ...I want to enjoy life and will make seamanlike decisions on the craft most suitable to take me safely to my destination. An AVS of dubious value is not going to be my first choice of boat. I am sure an alloy centreboard boat has it's attractions, but its not for me. I prefer to trust to judgement not luck.
I crossed Atlantic 4 times. One as skipper on the Triangle Gauloise race from Martinique to France in April on a 44 "classic", I mean with a keel. Hard time, hard weather, strong waves in north atlantic.
I can tell you that is was less comfortable than with the Ovni in the same conditions. And this is not a question of luck but really of judgement.
I tested an Ovni centerboard in the "raz de Sein", the westmost part on France, with very strong currents that build rogues waves.
The Ovni behavior with centerboard up was absolutely fantastic with a great security's feeling. I would'nt be in the same condition with a keel.
cco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 15:59   #38
cruiser

Dang nabbit, i WANT one!!
Old 23-06-2011, 16:12   #39

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Dang nabbit, i WANT one!!
Me too !!!!

But I'm wondering ... does anyone (you Ovni owners ?) know "why" Ovni puts their ballast in the hull as opposed to the keel like say a Southerly? I'm sure they have their reasons and arguments for why its better in their eyes. Just wondering.
Old 23-06-2011, 16:57   #40
cruiser

errr... i think that's so you can still stay upright with the board up, or if it falls off or gets eaten by a submarine.
Old 23-06-2011, 16:58   #41

Boat: Trismus 37

Anyone interested in (affordable) alluminium centre board yachts should have a look at the Trismus 37, There were around 30 to 40 alloy models built in the late 70's and early 80's. There have been another 300+ built out of polyester etc. They have a web site <www.trismus.populus.org> in French unfortunately for those of us who don't speak it. It has 2 boards, the main one amidships and a smaller one under the cockpit, (rather like a large surf board) when used running down wind. Can't give you any AVS figures etc. only that the one I have is 30+ years old tried and true go any where boat. It certainly works well for me down here in New Zealand where we have a huge range of sailing conditions to contend with along with some of the more idylic cruising areas in the world.
The Via yachts are of similar style.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 18:23   #42
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Shall we now compare and contrast multihulls vs OVNI and recovery

Seems to me the record of historical incidents, if they exist at all, is minuscule.

well not a lot of Ovnis have been built either.

Dave
Old 23-06-2011, 18:27   #43
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cco View Post
I crossed Atlantic 4 times. One as skipper on the Triangle Gauloise race from Martinique to France in April on a 44 "classic", I mean with a keel. Hard time, hard weather, strong waves in north atlantic.
I can tell you that is was less comfortable than with the Ovni in the same conditions. And this is not a question of luck but really of judgement.
I tested an Ovni centerboard in the "raz de Sein", the westmost part on France, with very strong currents that build rogues waves.
The Ovni behavior with centerboard up was absolutely fantastic with a great security's feeling. I would'nt be in the same condition with a keel.

But reading the various texts on stability, the keel "tripping" issue is a small contrbutor to roll over. ( if it were so mobos, would slide too). The metacentric height is a big contributor and Ovnis must be higher. The curve indicates that she almost as stable upside down as rightside up.

No doubt a fine boat, with a band of dedicted followers, but then Hunters have their fans too. The zealot is not neccessarily the right person to ask

Dave
Old 23-06-2011, 19:43   #44

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
well not a lot of Ovnis have been built either.

Dave
About 1,500 according to their website.
Old 23-06-2011, 20:34   #45

Boat: Custom Freya 20m

Apologies for the thread drift. The Trismus site has a 54' dual centreboarder which I enjoy looking at and looks very livable. I just bet THAT has a good AVS!!
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ovni