Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2014, 08:37   #1

Boat: Dufour 12000ct 45 Ketch
Over 10,000 Hours on an Original Perkins

Our original Perkins engine has 10,047 hours on it. Anyone else hear of a Perkins with this many?

Murphy's law says for us to buy a rebuild kit before we set off to cruise and we'll never need it. If we sail off for 18-24 months without a rebuild kit..we'll need it.
SailingTerrapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:41   #2

Boat: 1991 Californian 52CPMY
Re: Over 10,000 hours on an original Perkins

I also have a Perkins, great motors. My question is this, if you bring the rebuild kit with you, will you be able to perform the rebuild yourself? Maybe do the rebuild while still in the states.

Good luck, Bill
montenido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:04   #3

Yeah, if you buy the parts, rebuild it here. However, you may need a machine shop for the rebuild anyway. The crank should be checked and possibly ground. Ditto for the head. The injection pump should be resealed etc. Do it and you'll get another 10k hours!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:12   #4

For your Perky,I suppose I'd first consider engines overall condition,2,financials,3rd,cruising destinations,4th,how often I'd be using engine.... Many many factors.Perkins parts available worldwide only cost differences par location. Get a good mechanics' thoughts on current condition, compression of engine.If passable for future intended I'd bring an injection pump seal kit and injector tips.If a perkins is maintained well it'll last forever.fuel and oil filters galore and you'll be fine.
Now if engine has a "history",go for the rebuild.
Most important for long passages is good sleep/rest.For me-critical systems in tip top condition helps me sleep well.
Arthur Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:40   #5

Sorry, not enough information in the original post...

We have a perkins 4.236. Right now, the engine runs perfectly. No smoke, always starts right up, no funny noises, etc.. It did get a bit neglected for a few years, so I have some cleanup to do on it, mostly a bit of exterior rust. We have a good friend in La Paz (MX) that knows a solid mechanic that can do the rebuild for much cheaper than here in the US. He advised us to buy the kit up here and bring it with, since parts can be more expensive down south.

My question is really this: Should I rebuild a perkins with 10k hours if it runs perfectly? Our plans are for extended cruising in central america and the caribbean, so part of me feels like I should rebuild due to the high hours. But then again, if it ain't broken don't fix it?

Thanks -- Phil
Old 06-08-2014, 09:42   #6
cruiser

Boat: Slocum 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingTerrapin View Post
Our original Perkins engine has 10,047 hours on it. Anyone else hear of a Perkins with this many?

Murphy's law says for us to buy a rebuild kit before we set off to cruise and we'll never need it. If we sail off for 18-24 months without a rebuild kit..we'll need it.
A sailor who understands Murphy. I have a 4-108 in my boat, great engine. I however would with that many hours on the clock get her rebuilt if she has issues. Particularly if I plan on extended cruising. The again, if she ain't broke, don't fix it.

BZT
PS If you pass on the rebuild be sure to carry the kit or Murphy will be looking for you......
BZT54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:48   #7

Boat: Seafarer36c

The guy in the next slip had 14,000 hrs. on his 107. It was still fine. I can't imagine how you could keep the oil leaks under control for that long. It must have had numerous gaskets and seals changed over the years.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:02   #8
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Should I rebuild a perkins with 10k hours if it runs perfectly? .... But then again, if it ain't broken don't fix it?
If it aint broke don't fix it. 10,000 hours its still a baby. Keep the oil up to it.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:40   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

With that many hours, I'd be concerned about the bottom end, cam and cam bearings etc.
It's a whole lot cheaper to re-build an engine that doesn't need it as opposed to one that has a spun bearing or other catastrophic sudden stoppage kind of thing.
Pay now or pay later, just remember later may have interest tacked on.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:41   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Is this a wet or dry sleeve engine?
Old 06-08-2014, 11:56   #11

Quote:
Sorry, not enough information in the original post...

We have a perkins 4.236. Right now, the engine runs perfectly. No smoke, always starts right up, no funny noises, etc.. It did get a bit neglected for a few years, so I have some cleanup to do on it, mostly a bit of exterior rust. We have a good friend in La Paz (MX) that knows a solid mechanic that can do the rebuild for much cheaper than here in the US. He advised us to buy the kit up here and bring it with, since parts can be more expensive down south.

My question is really this: Should I rebuild a perkins with 10k hours if it runs perfectly? Our plans are for extended cruising in central america and the caribbean, so part of me feels like I should rebuild due to the high hours. But then again, if it ain't broken don't fix it?

Thanks -- Phil
That's always the question isn't it? I've "fixed" things many times that had nothing wrong with them...only to find I now had problems! The 4-236 is probable the best of the bunch.... but at 10k hours... it's just hard to say. They were used in forklifts etc, so lots of them around. If going to parts unknown... I say rebuild, if sticking near civilization..maybe roll the dice. Oh.. and in Mexico. remember the true meaning of Manana! "your engine will be ready "sometime in the future"...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 15:48   #12

Boat: Boatless

Do an oil sample on it, and take it from there. If you have high levels of different metals, then rebuild it.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
fishin4bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 15:53   #13

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

I agree with the oil test. If the oil is ok, the compressions are good, and the oil pressure is good, leave it alone. Take spare for the ancillary equipment - raw and fresh water pumps, starter, fuel etc...

Diesels that are well looked after can do a hell of a lot of hours.
Old 06-08-2014, 16:33   #14

Thanks. I like the idea of the oil test. I assume that I would be interested in the wear metal test? Water and antifreeze too? Somebody once recommended Blackstone Labs for an oil test. Any one ever use them? Thanks again -- Phil
Old 06-08-2014, 16:47   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

SOAP usually known as oil analysis, is pretty good assuming you have a baseline to compare it to as far as wear metals are concerned, so If you have a history of ten SOAP's and copper or iron spikes, then you can be concerned, but just one is essentially useless for determining the health of an engine, but it can determine whether or not you need to change the oil due to it breaking down, or far more likely it's soot content.
I've gotten more than twenty years of oil analysis experience from aircraft to truck in the Army motor pool, like everything else it's another tool in the box, but i have never, not even once seen oil analysis determine a components condition with any certainty at all.
But if you wanna get on a regular program Blackstone is a good lab.
Spend the money on more frequent oil changes and you will be better off though.

Tags
perkins