Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2014, 10:04   #151

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50
Re: Outfitting vs. Cruise Ready Dilemma

Haha! It's funny you mention drinking beer... when I ran the bar in Orlando, it was a craft beer bar, and I cannot tell you how much of a beer snob I became. Now that I've been out of that job for a few weeks, it's just like technology- I can't even keep up with all the new beer that has been coming out. It's insane.

As exciting as it is researching all these new marine electronics (I haven't even used a marine GPS since 2002), it's kind of sad that everything I buy will be obsolete in a matter of months or years!
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 10:19   #152
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Roberts V495

Nice looking boat....I like the sugar scoop and the big skeg rudder
nofacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 13:41   #153

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

Good luck with your boat hunting. This one will be slower than the Bene, but probably more long lived...

AP's The addition of the "Rate Gyro" (Raymarine) or "Rate Compass" (Simrad) is the single most important upgrade to course stability in an Autopilot, providing the rest of it is up to the task (powerfull and fast enough). I'm not sure that the Raymarine unit is actually a gyro though. The "Rate" output is what is important, and it enables the boat to respond to external forces MUCH more quickly...

As others have mentioned, technology moves on really fast, the days of the fluxgate compass are over..
Old 15-01-2014, 14:10   #154

Just put an offer in on the Caliber; I have my fingers crossed!
Old 15-01-2014, 18:19   #155

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

[QUOTE=TacomaSailor;1440195]Wow - how things change!

Jerry, don't worry, you an Mirador are still a legend to some of us who sail a Caliber. Those of us who own a later model, hull # 40141 here, owe you a thank you for the improvements that George incorporated because of your input.

DDabs, good luck with your offer, you won't be sorry. All the equipment you're worried about is easy to replace. Start with a great boat first. I've had mine for 5 years and have 4-5 more before I sail out the Golden Gate and turn left. In the computer age, electronics become obsolete very quickly as Tacoma's experience shows. Sail with what you have and figure out what you really need/want. Get the stuff that doesn't age as fast, like a good dinghy and motor or good/efficient refrigeration. Believe me, there's plenty of things to spend $$ on besides electronics.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 19:39   #156

Well, a major update here:

I am going to pull the trigger on the bare-bones Caliber LRC in Rock Hall, MD. The buyer came down to a reasonable price that will allow me to outfit the boat to my discretion with the equipment that I want. There is another Caliber an hour away from my home, however it is 5 years older, not an LRC, and has some questionable concerns for me that are enough to make me back away. The boat in Maryland is basically an untouched, brand new boat, despite being a 1999. My heart has been with the boat in Maryland since I first saw her, and I know I'll regret it going with another boat.

Here is my plan: after the deal is finalized, I will have to go to Maryland to perform a sea trial/survey. Assuming that goes well, the purchase will be made. The broker knows a good boatyard in Annapolis, MD, that can perform installations of any of the equipment I want. The more I think about it, the more I just want to get the boat back down to Florida. It will most likely be kept in St. Petersburg and I know there are a handful of places that will be able to outfit the boat there. The boat has depth/speed/wind gauges and a working VHF. I will probably purchase a handheld GPS for the trip down. I don't think I'll need autopilot or a windlass even, considering I'm going to be motoring most of the way and not doing any long overnight passages, most likely staying in marinas on the trip down.

From basic route planning so far, my intention is to motor most of the way through the ICW. Is this a good route to take? I am not looking to push the boat to it's limits, just get it back as easily and harmlessly as possible. Any input on this would be appreciated.

Also, once I actually obtain the vessel, I plan on starting a new thread with some questions I have concerning outfitting regarding that specific boat. I think this thread has provided alot of information to people regarding outfitting in general, and will leave it as such. But for now I'd love some feedback on the above situation. Thanks so much.

David
Old 20-01-2014, 20:39   #157

David, do as much of the upgrade of gear as possible yourself! Even if that means pestering a professional installer. Don't be afraid to ask why for anything - if they really are professional they will be happy to answer. You cannot know too much about your own boat. Plenty of people on here who will be happy to help with any issues, including me.
Before adding anything to the boat, think about what you want to achieve, ask around, consider all the advice, and then go with what you think sounds logical.
If you can motor marina to marina, minimal gear is fine. Check the weather, and perhaps a power plug for the handheld GPS! Or put a nav program on your smartphone...
Best of luck with the new boat!
Matt
Old 20-01-2014, 20:51   #158

Matt, thanks alot! I know a fellow cruiser who lives aboard in St. Pete and is currently outfitting his 48 ft. cutter. He does all of the work himself and I hope to help him out as much as I can and learn as much as I can from him. As far as outfitting my own boat; I am not very handy but like you said I would love to just watch and help as much as I could during the professional installations.
Old 20-01-2014, 21:04   #159

David, have a go, you'll be surprised at what you can do! There a a few tips I've written on my site here. Not much yet, I intend to add some more. Feel free to ask whatever you want - knot that I know it all, everyone is still learning!
Cheers
Matt
Old 21-01-2014, 11:32   #160

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post

The more I think about it, the more I just want to get the boat back down to Florida. It will most likely be kept in St. Petersburg and I know there are a handful of places that will be able to outfit the boat there. The boat has depth/speed/wind gauges and a working VHF. I will probably purchase a handheld GPS for the trip down. I don't think I'll need autopilot or a windlass even, considering I'm going to be motoring most of the way and not doing any long overnight passages, most likely staying in marinas on the trip down.

From basic route planning so far, my intention is to motor most of the way through the ICW. Is this a good route to take? I am not looking to push the boat to it's limits, just get it back as easily and harmlessly as possible. Any input on this would be appreciated.

Also, once I actually obtain the vessel, I plan on starting a new thread with some questions I have concerning outfitting regarding that specific boat. I think this thread has provided alot of information to people regarding outfitting in general, and will leave it as such. But for now I'd love some feedback on the above situation. Thanks so much.
Very reasonable float plan assuming you don't intend to push hours into long days, and it's even easier with crew. It also makes a decent tourist trip, too, so enjoy the sights along the way

-Chris
Old 21-01-2014, 12:51   #161

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed
Re: ICW in winter

DDabs - get a copy of Skipper Bob's anchorages - I found them to be very accurate and good for planning the next night's location. It also does a great job of letting you know what bridges are coming up and when (distance) the limits of opening and how to hail them. Plenty of other tidbits to be helpful.
you want to be up and going as soon as you can make out the markers and plan to be anchored before dark - the days are short. And keep your fuel tanks full as you will be surprised how far apart fuel is some places, especially in GA.
We averaged 40-60miles per day in December.
Good luck.
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 13:18   #162

Ed, the boat is not even equipped with a windlass; I was planning on staying a night in marinas most of the way. Would I be better off anchoring out in certain places?

As far as Skipper Bob's books, those really seem like a good buy with loads of info. I see there is an "Anchorage" and "Marinas" edition. Do they both include mile by mile info of the waterway or is that just for the anchorages? Maybe I'll have to get both?

The boat is equipped with a 212 gallon fuel tank so that should help out.
Old 21-01-2014, 14:56   #163

DDABS, refresh your knowledge of whistle signals and proper radio procedures for the trip down the ICW. Both are used a lot. It is a fun trip, but will be cold this time of year. I just looked at the photos of the boat,Wow, what a beauty. It really does look brand new and I really like the underbody. I think you have choosen well. Congrats!!! _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 15:22   #164

Thanks Grant! I'm not looking forward to the cold weather, but at least the boat has heat if we pull into a marina. Even though the ICW is a lot of constant motoring, I'm excited to use the trip to have some stress-free time getting to know the boat. So excited!
Old 21-01-2014, 15:51   #165

Boat: Tartan 40
Unless your boat draws less than a hovercraft I doubt it will be stress free in the ICW. But I am jealous- sounds like a nice trip.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise