Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2018, 14:25   #1

Boat: 2012 Seaward 32 RK
Outbound 46

Howdy,
We just got back from Annapolis and the boat that took the show for me was the Outbound 46. I had a hard time finding any negatives about the boat. It looks to be very well built in every way. I have looked for videos and read a couple of older articles found on Google, but information seems lacking on this boat. I know where it was built and am still impressed with it. The attention to detail, the well thought out cabin, shop, mechanical accessibility etc. Probably the only thing that bothers me is the common rail diesel. Not sure how that is going to play out in the marine application.

Is there anyone around that could comment about the boat, both for positive and negative? I'll gladly take a long winded dissertation on the boat from anyone with first hand knowledge. Any links to discussion would be very welcome as well.

Thanks,
Mike
mjgill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 15:23   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1
Re: Outbound 46

We have an owner of one posting here who will probably pop in, and will be able to give you a much better rundown than I can.

I have sailed on one a number of times and in my opinion it's my favorite modern offshore boat. I've sailed a number of Schumacher designed boats (he designed the 46) and he had a knack for designing boats that just sail right. It's built like a tank in every way I can see. The yard that builds them also builds Passport. The structure is super solid, thick tabbed bulkheads, stick-built stringers (no pan), etc. For a reasonably heavy cruising boat it sails great, and the solent rig works well. Depending on how you spec the boat it can be pretty systems heavy, but not more than most modern offshore boats and they generally spec fairly high end components. The boat does not have the room that a lot of more showy modern boats have, but makes up for that with how well it sails and how intelligently the interior is designed.

My experience and everything other owners have told me is that the great sailing characteristics really carry over well to ocean crossing. The boat points quite well and has a nice motion offwind. It also tends to be a lot faster than the average similar sized boat, probably because of the reasonably modern underbody and narrow beam. IMO if you like the interior it's a boat you can't go wrong with owning and which will treat you right.
gjorgensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 15:44   #3

I would really like to do the IO someday. This boat looks like it could do it, the cape and any other ocean you throw at it without breaking a sweat! Thanks for the info. I just wonder if there are any hidden negatives that my biased eyes are missing.

Best,
Old 07-10-2018, 16:02   #4

The owners I've spoken with have basically no complaints that are boat specific - it's mostly failed electronics or other aftermarket and customer specified items. About the only negative I've seen is that the cockpit is what you'd call "offshore safe" meaning also a bit cramped at anchor, but not terrible. Storage is terrific for a 46. The hard dodger looks great but I have not yet been aboard one. I can recommend going through the videos by this couple: Particular Harbor – John & Michelle’s adventures afloat. They're pretty up front about costs and issues.
Old 07-10-2018, 16:06   #5

That's great! I'll check them out. You better not go aboard one...you might end up like me. A bit smitten. LOL!
Old 07-10-2018, 23:55   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjorgensen View Post
We have an owner of one posting here who will probably pop in, and will be able to give you a much better rundown than I can.

I have sailed on one a number of times and in my opinion it's my favorite modern offshore boat. I've sailed a number of Schumacher designed boats (he designed the 46) and he had a knack for designing boats that just sail right. It's built like a tank in every way I can see. The yard that builds them also builds Passport. The structure is super solid, thick tabbed bulkheads, stick-built stringers (no pan), etc. For a reasonably heavy cruising boat it sails great, and the solent rig works well. Depending on how you spec the boat it can be pretty systems heavy, but not more than most modern offshore boats and they generally spec fairly high end components. The boat does not have the room that a lot of more showy modern boats have, but makes up for that with how well it sails and how intelligently the interior is designed.

My experience and everything other owners have told me is that the great sailing characteristics really carry over well to ocean crossing. The boat points quite well and has a nice motion offwind. It also tends to be a lot faster than the average similar sized boat, probably because of the reasonably modern underbody and narrow beam. IMO if you like the interior it's a boat you can't go wrong with owning and which will treat you right.

I looked at the Kraken 50 being built at the same yard. Really well specced and fully cruising orientated. I thought the cockpit design was a lot safer for offshore as well. Was good to see both boats next to eachother and not all builders are going the way of the production boat.
BCookCornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:18   #7

Boat: Catalina Morgan 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgill1 View Post
Howdy,
We just got back from Annapolis and the boat that took the show for me was the Outbound 46. I had a hard time finding any negatives about the boat. It looks to be very well built in every way. I have looked for videos and read a couple of older articles found on Google, but information seems lacking on this boat. I know where it was built and am still impressed with it. The attention to detail, the well thought out cabin, shop, mechanical accessibility etc. Probably the only thing that bothers me is the common rail diesel. Not sure how that is going to play out in the marine application.

Is there anyone around that could comment about the boat, both for positive and negative? I'll gladly take a long winded dissertation on the boat from anyone with first hand knowledge. Any links to discussion would be very welcome as well.

Thanks,
Mike
We must have been bumping into each other yesterday, as my wife and I returned several times to check that boat out. It was the only one that totally wowed us there (well, outside of the Morris, but that's a museum piece unless one can afford a full time varnishing crew).

We had rafted up with one a couple of summers ago, and the owners invited us on to take a quick tour, but this time around we really got to look at all the nooks and crannies. And your assessment is similar to ours. Way out of our price range (indeed, we weren't even thinking of replacing our 36'er), but it got us seriously thinking....
Chachere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:47   #8

Boat: Outbound 44

We've cruised our Outbound 44 for the last 5 years. Been as far north as Cape Breton in the Canadian maritimes and are currently in Australia. I've been on a lot of cruising boats and there are just too many times when you see something and say what were they thinking when they built this thing. When we got oud OB I was really surprised how many times I said, man they really thought that out well.
Its a good performing, very solidly built offshore boat. If theres one feature I'd hype it's the companionway. I really dislike steep and to me dangerous companionway ladders. The OB companionway has saved years of life on my back.
The 46 is the same hull as the 44 with a longer swimstep. Of course you pay for the build quality, both new and in the used market. There is an Outbound Owners group on Yahoo you can join if you want to ask questions of other owners.
Old 08-10-2018, 14:21   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
We've cruised our Outbound 44 for the last 5 years. Been as far north as Cape Breton in the Canadian maritimes and are currently in Australia. I've been on a lot of cruising boats and there are just too many times when you see something and say what were they thinking when they built this thing. When we got oud OB I was really surprised how many times I said, man they really thought that out well.
Its a good performing, very solidly built offshore boat. If theres one feature I'd hype it's the companionway. I really dislike steep and to me dangerous companionway ladders. The OB companionway has saved years of life on my back.
The 46 is the same hull as the 44 with a longer swimstep. Of course you pay for the build quality, both new and in the used market. There is an Outbound Owners group on Yahoo you can join if you want to ask questions of other owners.
Could you provide a link? The companionway is terrific. Three huge steps. Hand holds everywhere. No person has yet to comment on the common rail diesel engine. I was hoping to hear something on it, but I guess there is probably a thread somewhere out there on it already. How do you rate the light air performance of her?
Old 08-10-2018, 14:25   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachere View Post
We must have been bumping into each other yesterday, as my wife and I returned several times to check that boat out. It was the only one that totally wowed us there (well, outside of the Morris, but that's a museum piece unless one can afford a full time varnishing crew).

We had rafted up with one a couple of summers ago, and the owners invited us on to take a quick tour, but this time around we really got to look at all the nooks and crannies. And your assessment is similar to ours. Way out of our price range (indeed, we weren't even thinking of replacing our 36'er), but it got us seriously thinking....
I wouldn't doubt it. I was all over the place in that boat. The owner really had her spec'd out well for extended cruising. I was very impressed. So well thought out. That's why I came here to see of there are any known issues. So far, nobody has anything bad to say.
Old 08-10-2018, 14:27   #11

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Could you provide a link? The companionway is terrific. Three huge steps. Hand holds everywhere. No person has yet to comment on the common rail diesel engine. I was hoping to hear something on it, but I guess there is probably a thread somewhere out there on it already. How do you rate the light air performance of her?
The common rail is what Yanmar is offering now. Older Outbounds have standard turbo Yanmars.
Try for the Yahoo group
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...tions/messages

As far as light air performance, it's all in the eye of the beholder. My previous cruising boat was a J37, a boat very easy to sail in light airs. The Outbound is much heavier. It is a much better performer than many similarly sized cruising boats.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 16:20   #12

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

We have had two OB 44s in our marina, one has been off cruising now for several years, the other is in fact for sale right now. We have done a lot of work on both and everyone here has been very impressed with these boats. Yes they are Chinese built but much better built than probably any US built boat that has been through this marina.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 16:35   #13

Any new boat you buy with an engine that size will be common rail at this point, at least any from a US or European company. They're pretty common. Beta marine is the only company I know selling low pressure engines that size and they're not legal to install in a new boat in the US. It is worth paying some extra attention to the fuel filtration setup and perhaps install a fuel polisher that can go to 1 micron if needed, but otherwise I don't know that it's really much of a concern with Yanmar. Volvo has had some ECM issues with their smaller engines but I haven't heard of any from Yanmar. Every Outbound I've been on has had a duel Racor setup that can be switched into polish-mode. If you're concerned I'd talk directly with Phil Lambert at Outbound - he's a good guy and will have real knowledge there.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:30   #14

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Quote:
If you buy one I am sure they will install any engine you want.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:40   #15

Boat: gozzard 44

My friend has an Outbound 46, shallow draft to make it Chesapeake Bay friendly. Only problem was that under power the boat would pull sharply to one side. I believe the shallow, wide rudder was unduly affected by prop wash whereas a deep draft rudder would be less influenced. Perhaps the deep keel owners can comment.

Ronbo
ronbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote