Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2014, 16:42   #16
JRM

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Outbound 44 vs Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
The Valiant 42 is basically a Valliant 40 a bit bigger, a 40 year old design, a great one at that time but vastly outdated in many aspects. The Outbound 44 is a 13 year old great design only slightly outdated. There is no possible comparison between the two boats, the Outbound is a much better cruising boat. They are separated by 30 years of yacht design evolution.

A Valiant 42 is a Valiant 40 with a sprit. Same mold. Differing layouts available but the same hull. There was some discussion about the mast having been moved a touch, but I don't remember the verdict.

They were the first "performance cruiser" and way ahead of their time. Still, it's an older design that like all boats has its quirks. Ours has a tiller, which is great not only for sailing and ease of vane attachment, but really opens up the cockpit at anchor. Personally, I think the wheels in the Valiant cockpit just take up too much of the already reduced space.

The double ender and massive storage create a boat that while 40 feet long, is really best compared to a 35-36 footer for livability. I may get stoned for that opinion, but it's what I've seen when comparing our boat to others.

The Valiant is its own beast. If you don't love it, I wouldn't recommend buying it. It can sometimes be frustrating enough to deal with its quirks while loving her. Although, I guess that could be said of all boats. But, oh man... when the sails fill and she leans over just a touch and starts gliding, there's not many feelings able to compare.

JRM

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 17:40   #17

Boat: President 43 Sportfish
Re: Outbound 44 vs Valiant 42

The Valiant is a great boat.

At an east coast boat show, I saw the Outbound 44 for the first time--its debut, I believe. But first I saw one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen. She was momentarily standing-in for whoever was showing the boat. It wasn't just her stunning physical beauty, but her charm and poise and...well...I was instantly in love. I'm sure she knew, though she had the kindness to not mention it. And she was married. Perhaps they were the owners of a sister-ship.

The reason I mention this anecdote is to qualify my perception of my first look at the boat (I was already stunned!). Virtually everywhere I looked had the appearance of much thought and care having gone into it. And I left (still stunned) with the opinion that it was one helluva boat!
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote