Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2021, 10:48   #1

Outboard engine size C&C 24

Just purchased a 1984 C&C 24 foot and it has an older Honda 9.9. I would like something lighter and was wondering if you guys feel a 6 h.p. would do the job? Thanks
Blackmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 11:14   #2

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Outboard engine size C&C 24

I have a 2011 Mercury 5 HP 4 stroke extra long 25" shaft outboard (bought new) on my Bristol 27 and it works great. Speed on flat water is about 5 knots.

It's on an adjustable bracket and in the 3rd slot down can handle waves up to 2'-3' without coming out of the water.

My boat's displacement is 6600 lbs.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	b27.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	247910  
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 11:48   #3

I had a Honda 9.9 as a backup motor. It was the heaviest 9.9 made. Took 2 of us to lift it onto the outboard bracket and a winch to move it from the bracket to the dinghy. That said, it was a nice running motor.

For a 24' boat, you should be happy with a 6 hp. The 8s are detuned 9.9s.

Boris
BMD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 11:49   #4

Thats fantastic! We only displace 3200lbs, if I can shed nearly 70lbs off the transom and remove one of the batteries that will be huge. Also these motors have built in fuel tank so if we are just popping out for a couple of hours won't need the 5 gallon tank either.
Old 07-11-2021, 13:23   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmax View Post
Thats fantastic! We only displace 3200lbs, if I can shed nearly 70lbs off the transom and remove one of the batteries that will be huge. Also these motors have built in fuel tank so if we are just popping out for a couple of hours won't need the 5 gallon tank either.
Right, look for the ones with the integral tank they call it.

Mine is pull start only with no alternator and no remote controls. I didn't want any excess crap in the cockpit or out to the motor.

Motor weighs in at about 56-57 lbs and I can remove by hand for maintenance.

Most times I just use the integral (built in) tank to get me out of the creek and only use the external if I need to motor 10-20 miles. I believe the built in tank lasts about 50 minutes.

I have solar that powers everything on the boat from my lights, to computers (via 400 watt inverter) , to autopilot, and HDTV/monitor plus VHF/GPS/AIS

The solar charges two 6 volt golf cart batteries in series for a total of 220 ah.

Photos are of adjustable bracket. I've gone thru two of them so you may want a stronger one. Picture with motor on bracket is in the full up position. When down to the third slot it's about at the depth the diesel's prop used to be
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00161.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	419.5 KB
ID:	247920   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00134.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	448.6 KB
ID:	247921  

Name:	DSC00061.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	461.8 KB
ID:	247922  
Old 07-11-2021, 13:32   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

A six HP Tohatsu four-stroke would do the job very well. It's a reliable motor, and they've gotten the weight down near that of two-strokes.
Old 07-11-2021, 13:35   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
A six HP Tohatsu four-stroke would do the job very well. It's a reliable motor, and they've gotten the weight down near that of two-strokes.
But just make sure it's the 25" extra long shaft and has the integral tank.

Some of the Tohatsu 6's only have the external fuel connection and you really want the integral tank if you are a guy that would rather sail than motor

The new white Tohatsu outboards are great though with that color sometimes you don't even notice them.

This one is nice but no integral tank that I can see.

https://onlineoutboards.com/products...YaAqh2EALw_wcB

but the 5 HP 25" shaft Merc has it!

https://onlineoutboards.com/products...oaAkPNEALw_wcB
Old 07-11-2021, 13:41   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
I have read the Tohatsu is a Merc?
Old 07-11-2021, 13:48   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
But just make sure it's the 25" extra long shaft and has the integral tank.

Some of the Tohatsu 6's only have the external fuel connection and you really want the integral tank if you are a guy that would rather sail than motor

The new white Tohatsu outboards are great though with that color sometimes you don't even notice them.

This one is nice but no integral tank that I can see.

https://onlineoutboards.com/products...YaAqh2EALw_wcB

but the 5 HP 25" shaft Merc has it!

https://onlineoutboards.com/products...oaAkPNEALw_wcB
Roger that! Yes we walk 2 blocks to marina and on the ocean. The idea is to sail, I have a power boat. Can I ask your opinion on the Honda 5 hp? It has built in tank.
Old 07-11-2021, 14:13   #10

Quote:
Just purchased a 1984 C&C 24 foot and it has an older Honda 9.9. I would like something lighter and was wondering if you guys feel a 6 h.p. would do the job? Thanks
Yes. More importantly the shaft length and one of the special High Thrust outboard models for sailboats at 5-6 HP would be better than 10HP Honda.

If I want to dual use the OB for the dingy also I want in integral tank, but if just for the mother ship I don't want only the integral tank.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 14:53   #11

Quote:
Roger that! Yes we walk 2 blocks to marina and on the ocean. The idea is to sail, I have a power boat. Can I ask your opinion on the Honda 5 hp? It has built in tank.
First thing is the extra long 25" shaft. Brands second.

The 2011 Mercury 5hp is the only outboard I have had on my sailboat. The others 5-6 were on my power boats old 2 stroke Johnson 40's, Evinrude 25, Mercury 65 hp, and one 1970's 4 stroke 55 hp Homelite Bearcat! which I had on a 17' boat when I was in North Carolina living near Morehead City.

Old 08-11-2021, 14:34   #12

Talk to an outboard dealership about different propellors. One for speed, or one for pushing a lot of weight. Small motors need to keep the RPB in the high range and be lugged my incorrect propellor size.
Ranger2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 15:20   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger2727 View Post
Talk to an outboard dealership about different propellors. One for speed, or one for pushing a lot of weight. Small motors need to keep the RPB in the high range and be lugged my incorrect propellor size.
Actually, I rarely run my outboard above 2/3rds throttle with the standard prop.

And it's a 5 hp 4 stroke pushing a 6600 lb displacement boat with full keel.
Old 08-11-2021, 15:43   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Actually, I rarely run my outboard above 2/3rds throttle with the standard prop.

And it's a 5 hp 4 stroke pushing a 6600 lb displacement boat with full keel.
So after a lot of searching I purchased one of the last 5hp Mercs available. It is a sail model with the high thrust prop. Unfortunatly its only a long as there are zero extra longs and I could order but they said no gaurantee when plus its a lot more money. The ex owner said the long shaft did well so should be o.k. We are right on the water so motoring should be very limited. If we do decide to take a longer trip I can put the 9.9 back on. I'm even thinking of getting a dinghy to tow and the Merc 5 will be a terrific back up engine at 58lbs. Thanks for replies and I will post later how it all works out.
Old 08-11-2021, 15:58   #15

Boat: Beneteau First 235

I second the Tohatsu 6hp, 4 stroke, SailPro model with the extra long 25" shaft. We don't have the integrated tank. We have the auxiliary tank and glad we do even though we only use it for in and out of the marina. It is in its 9th year and running beautifully. I think its finally broken in .
Just make sure to rip the rubber enviro valve out of the tank cap... ours would create a vaccum and stall the motor when it was new. Not a problem since we removed the valve. Starts first pull.when cold with choke and warms up with the choke on. No choke required to start for the rest of the day. We have a custom.motor.mount so the motor is always up.and.out.of the wate when sailing. Very light and easy to maintain and no chance of spilling gas in the water like with an integrated tank. It will push our Beneteau F235 along at 5 kts but we only run it at 70% throttle for max efficiency. No matter what motor you get make your life easier and get a tiller extension so you can adjust the throttle( without having to reach down) and use the motor like an regular outboard for maneuverability while docking.
letoile is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, outboard, size