Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2012, 16:08   #1

Boat: 1990, catalina 30' tall rig
Outboard and tiller positions when docking

Looking for some help. I bought a small 21' trailer sailor, I have had it out twice now and am having some difficulty figuring out how to best use the tiller and outboard together. Example: docking on the port side( same side as the outboard ). Should I lash the tiller midline and use the outboard to maneuver , or better to keep the outboard midline and use the tiller to steer? I have tried both ways and it seems that neither is optimal. The tiller hits the outboard if I turn hard to port. I am trying to use a spring line to dock and have it in the proper location but the tiller turns on its own as soon as I let it loose to hook the line. I would have to mount some jam cleats on the sides of the boat to lash the tiller, the problem there lies in the fact that I would have to mount them forward of the helm position and I would have to sit behind the line to the tiller before having to jump up and attach the spring line . This looks like an accident waiting to happen. I could also attach something to the bottom of the tiller and a second attachment to the cockpit sole. This also looks like a toe busting accident waiting to happen. Any experiences with this type of set up and a solution to the problem would be much appreciated
boatless 4 now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2012, 16:23   #2

Boat: hunter 376
Re: Outboard and tiller positions when docking

A lot of outboard powered boats use remote controls for the outboard, and so do not use it for steering at all, opting for steerage from the tiller alone. The advantage with steering using the outboard is the ability to change the direction of thrust, but it takes some practice to use both the tiller and outboard for steerage. I would use the tiller alone, and gain experience in handling and docking your vessel using your rudder, the norm for most larger vessels.
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2012, 18:25   #3

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatless 4 now View Post
---
The tiller hits the outboard if I turn hard to port. ---
The tiller or the rudder?

Anyway, the two boats I've owned with outboard power, the engines were in a well and couldn't be turned enough to be helpful so I just learned to dock using only the rudder.
Old 30-11-2012, 18:49   #4

Boat: 41' Sail

Quote:
Looking for some help. I bought a small 21' trailer sailor, I have had it out twice now and am having some difficulty figuring out how to best use the tiller and outboard together. Example: docking on the port side( same side as the outboard ). Should I lash the tiller midline and use the outboard to maneuver , or better to keep the outboard midline and use the tiller to steer? I have tried both ways and it seems that neither is optimal. The tiller hits the outboard if I turn hard to port. I am trying to use a spring line to dock and have it in the proper location but the tiller turns on its own as soon as I let it loose to hook the line. I would have to mount some jam cleats on the sides of the boat to lash the tiller, the problem there lies in the fact that I would have to mount them forward of the helm position and I would have to sit behind the line to the tiller before having to jump up and attach the spring line . This looks like an accident waiting to happen. I could also attach something to the bottom of the tiller and a second attachment to the cockpit sole. This also looks like a toe busting accident waiting to happen. Any experiences with this type of set up and a solution to the problem would be much appreciated
IMO Keep the o/b engine locked straight ahead. Use the boat's tiller for all maneuvering. Get used to shifting and throttle controls on the o/b tiller arm and always keep it locked straight ahead. practice practice practice
Old 30-11-2012, 20:24   #5

I usually just use the tiller, however if I'm in a really tight spot I will use both. Not the most elegant setup, I steer the outboard with my hand while I use my foot on the tiller. More useful for turning around in a very tight space than docking in my experience. Takes some practice!
islander20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:46   #6

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
I use both on my 6600lb Bristol 27 which has a 5 hp 4 stroke Mercury Outboard on it. When I'm coming in to the dock, the motor is straight. (and) I just use the tiller most of the time. When I'm backing out though, there isn't a lot of room so I'll use the outboard and rubber/tiller. The outboard can really spin the stern around. It works great.

There is a guy at the dock that backs in and he cannot move his outboard so he has some trouble. With the ability to turn the outboard, you can easily put the boat where you want it. I'll spin my outboard 90 degrees and just pull or push the stern where I want it if need be. It works much better than the old inboard diesel ever did.

Tom
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:28   #7

For in close maneuvering, you may have to use the motor. The rudder is only effective if you are moving and /or have prop wash flowing past it. With the motor to t he side , you dont get much steerage when barely moving. ie: rudder when moving well, motor when not.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Docking, outboard